Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

How do you move an anemone?

My Rose Anenome just split and both halves have lowered themselves next to some other non-moveable SPS and assorted corals from where they used to be when they were joined.

How the heck can you get these things to move, at least temporarily, onto another rock/spot? I know they're ultimately only going to end up where "they" want to be, however I need to figure out some way to move them for now other than moving the entire rock they're attached to.

Any ideas/know-how?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 08/14/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Try pointing a powerhead at the foot. That worked for me.
Old 08/14/2007, 09:12 PM
Anemone Rancher

another trick that may work is holding an ice cube to the base...

the surest way does require moving the rock and takes some serious time commitment...hang it upside down above the tank...pour tank water over the rock to keep it live.

I used to do that by hand but finally went to using an aqualifter pump to keep the rock wet. The anemone will not like being out of the water (even with water running over it) and will gradually let go.

Just be ready to catch it before it floats into a powerhead or attaches to some other rock! I have a plastic colander that I catch with.
Old 08/14/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I will try the powerhead first, ice cube and then if that doesn't work I will do the rock-out-of-water trick. That one will be a last resort as the rock they're both attached to is a base rock that about 4 other inter-twined tonga branches and/or other rocks are situated on or up against.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

If your not trying to remove it from the tank, I moved mine often by putting a rock over the spot where it emerges. It won't like the shade and it will find a different path and land elsewhere. In this way you can annoy it until it lands in an acceptable location. I don't know if that if possible given the SPS.

When mine started to crawl it took weeks of manipulating it but it ended up where I wanted it, not necessarily where it wanted to be at first (or second, or third).

If you want to move it manually, I use a small powerhead at jet the water underneath it's foot (if you can get at it's foot). Usually takes about 10 minutes. Then you have to put it back in and it will more again.

When I cut my anemones they go through a rehealing process. They always start out low & hide for a week or so. Then they crawl to a spot where they can get light. Then I powerhead them & sell them off.

Good luck.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Speaking of which Terri i'll give you a call its looking like sat or sunday after work if your going to be around to come and get mine.
Old 08/17/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Chad, If you want to sell the new one, let me know.

Dave