Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Angry Jumpping on people

Often I see posts for someone asking a question and everyone has to jump down there throat about there fish choice or that they have to many fish . IMO that is a sad thing and more than likely causes people to have a bad opinion of RC. Cant we all just get along . If anyone else feels this way please post a reply. And truth being known humanly we should not keep any of the fish in such small tanks even 1000gal tank is nothing compared to the ocean.
Old 07/20/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

I agree. If we can't agree with someone's approach there are better ways to suggest it.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

I agree
Old 07/20/2007, 11:26 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Well there's my way or the Highway!

I agree we need to be civil, especially on this forum where a lot of Newbie mistakes come to the surface. Name calling or ridicule are not conducive to making a new reefkeeper change his ways. Try to be mild in your approach and discuss possible solutions with the errant reefkeeper. Both parties will find that works better in resolving blunders.

And if you don't you can drop and give me 20!

Tom
Old 07/20/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

I belive that maybe the most important thing is not kill animals by newbie mistakes.
And of course it can be better ways to transnmit this.

Reefteria!!!!
Old 07/20/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

I agree that's. I'm a newbie and that's why I ask MANY questions before I do anything. Some of these guys/gals probably already had established tanks and JUST found out about RC and when they post their stock like having a Tang in a 30 gallon boy do they get a lashing! But its not their fault cus in my LFS I could tell them I have a 5 gallon tank and they would sell me the Tang. I know I wouldn't want to be ridiculed and I wouldn't come back to the forum if I was.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:50 AM
Team RC Member

What you ideally want is to inform and persuade---

This means getting the person with the problem into a cooperative and receptive frame of mind...

People want to convey the strength of their opinions, but two things happen in the typical OMG letter---first, the heart of the problem the guy thinks he has isn't getting addressed, so he thinks he's being ignored, and secondly somebody's blindsided him with a strong comment. Which immediately sets him on the defensive.
Maybe if we could find a way to do this with some humor, like a fishy smiley with 'We need a waaay bigger tank!" people would be amused. Or maybe not.

But it's an ongoing problem---you want to help the fishes, and you don't want to alienate the new reefer---which won't help the fish. Wish we could find a solution that would be recognized but that wouldn't put the new guy's back to the wall.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:10 PM
RC Mod

If you see posts that are offensive, name calling or against the User Agreement, please use the "Report This Post to a Moderator" link at the bottom right of the offending post and a Mod will deal with the situation.

Despite the large number of Mods we have here, there are just too many posts a day for us to review them all. So, we rely on the membership to help us keep RC a flame free and family friendly environment.

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD
Old 07/20/2007, 12:17 PM
Team RC Member

This problem goes so far beyond just this hobby, it seems to be human nature to argue and conflict. I know I've had my fair share of heated discussion even here on RC. Good of you to post this though Meco65, keep up the great work!

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/20/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Look at this post for an example. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1166466
Took 9 post of bashing to get a answer.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:29 PM
Team RC Member

Sympathy. I appreciate your approach to the problem instead of getting hurt and leaving. You're an asset, meco65. Hang in and help out as you can. And I wish I could answer you about eels and feather dusters: mine just went for smaller fish and left the dusters alone, but mine was a ribbon. [Big mistake, mine!] You might get a better answer in the Aggressive Fish section...more people with experience with those ones.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:40 PM
Send money....

Must be an "in the eye of the beholder" kind of thing, because I don't see what I would call "bashing" in the first couple of responses at least. They may not be directly answering the question being asked, but I don't see it as bashing. Sticking to the question asked might help. As far as fish size or numbers in a particular size tank, I usually say IMO or cite sources that refer to tank size recommendations.

Last edited by Shooter7; 07/20/2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Yea that one was mild but some have realy gotten out of hand.
Old 07/20/2007, 12:48 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shooter7
I usually say IMO or cite sources that refer to tank size recommendations.
It's been my experiences that those that like to bash and argue don't care if it's only your opinion or not, alot of these same folks are too stubborn to care about you citing the sources or not either, their right and everyone else is wrong. Why's it gotta be so difficult ignoring people sometimes? I find when I have the urge to bash at all, I try to at least anwer the initial question while I'm at it, lol.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/20/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

sometimes i would rather have that than no reply at all, there's nothing worse that needing help and watching your thread go all the way to the bottom,
Old 07/20/2007, 01:29 PM
Team RC Member

True, Teena. We've all had that happen, for sure. I know the mods advise against 'bumping' your own thread, because they scan for the 0 reply ones to try to help, but sometimes, if you're desperate, and a life is at stake, heck, I'd 'bump' or even repost, as in the Heeeellllpppp! I posted once and Now I'm Desperate!...kind of title. Most of us do try to answer the help me! threads---and woe to the user if the next line is ...'pick out a fish.'
RRrrrrr. That's when I get testy.

Old 07/20/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I've been reading here for well over a year but just decided to register to say I agree and am tired of seeing the people who dont have a clue jump down throats with wrong advice to raise their post count. Another thing that we should also remember that 90% of our pets were plucked from the ocean so if you think about it you took that fish from millions of gallons for your own pleasure.
Old 07/20/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

mec065, after re-reading that thread. I am at a loss to see the bashing. The first poster summed it up pretty well. That poster has a bigger problem than the FD. DJ did not want to hear about it. You state" And truth being known humanly we should not keep any of the fish in such small tanks even 1000gal tank is nothing compared to the ocean" It's ovious this poster has put his own need over the needs of the tank.
Why help peope when they are not responsible and Don't want to hear about it.

I do agree, that some people are over the top Imho I don't feel this was a good example for it.

I think the only reason I care about this. IS the fact, I really like all the fish stated. I have 90 and will not put them in. I want to be a responsible keeper.
Old 07/20/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

and then theres those of us that would like to post more... but due to the fear of being jumped for sounding stupid... we dont...
Old 07/20/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

(scotmc) yes that post was mild as stated above the point is that the bashing dose keep people from joining RC. And gives the forum a black eye.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty new to this and I've seen some heated discussions, but from what I've seen its more about trying to get people to be responsible reef keepers. Before I got started, I did about three months of reading and talking with other reef keepers, mainly because I really wanted to know what I was getting myself into.
There's a huge difference between making newbie mistakes and ignorance.
People do get carried away sometimes, but I've seen it on both sides.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:10 PM
"Old Yeller"

Re: Jumpping on people

Quote:
Originally posted by meco65
Often I see posts for someone asking a question and everyone has to jump down there throat about there fish choice or that they have to many fish . IMO that is a sad thing and more than likely causes people to have a bad opinion of RC. Cant we all just get along . If anyone else feels this way please post a reply. And truth being known humanly we should not keep any of the fish in such small tanks even 1000gal tank is nothing compared to the ocean.
SHUT UP

besides RC has a fine rep and if you are going to do stupid things, expect to get clobbered, is half the fun of this place anyway

another soccer mom post....
Old 07/20/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tank o tang
I've been reading here for well over a year but just decided to register to say I agree and am tired of seeing the people who dont have a clue jump down throats with wrong advice to raise their post count. Another thing that we should also remember that 90% of our pets were plucked from the ocean so if you think about it you took that fish from millions of gallons for your own pleasure.
Very true.

Reefteria!!!!
Old 07/20/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

That is what Im talking about. But i forgive you (Randall_James) IMO there is no need for stuf like that.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:23 PM
"Old Yeller"

that is why this post belongs in the lobby