Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Do xenia get "red bugs"/ whats on my xenia ? With Photos

Please refer to original post for photos of my "Bugs"
Old 06/19/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

My xenia have what appear to be "bugs" on them. They are pinkish white and a bit smaller that a BB. I see them on the stalks and on the "hands".
Some one told me that they could be flat worms , but I thought that flat worms would be everywhere. I only see these things on my xenia.
Any suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...017adjshop.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...djclipshop.jpg
Old 06/20/2007, 11:28 PM
clams are your friends.

definitely look like flatworms to me. they haven't spread because they are still happy sucking on your xenia, but they will.
Old 06/23/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Flatworms don't eat corals. They're photosynthetic - the problem is that they multiply easily and can cover the corals. Even then, I'm not entirely sure what damage they do.

Many times, especially in a newer tank, the population will swell, then crash on their own. If not, there's a product called Flatworm Exit you can try. That's got it's own set of issues, so first, I would try to siphon as many of them out as you can, then wait it out.
Old 06/25/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

they release toxins when they die, so if you use flatworm exit, siphon out as many as possible and then be prepared to do a waterchange within 30 min after doing it... and be prepared to repeat it multiple times.. ive been dealing with it in my 14 gal for months now...
Old 06/25/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

My understanding is flatworms are harmless detritavores. If you cut down on feedings they might go away.

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 06/26/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

The small little white flatworms, you will see them around your glass moving around and consuming stuff....not sure what but you can see them heave themselves onto stuff probably detritus or something. They go away by themselves. No reason to FW exit them

NOW, the brown little flatworms, you will want to FW exit or siphon out. They are photosynthetic, they love light. They don't really move, they stay in one place and live off the light. They grow to plague proportions and will cover live rock and even corals. I had some that were all over the base of my zoos. I haver never seen themselves die out unless you don't have any light in your tank. If its the brown ones, get rid of them!
Old 07/01/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Just wanted to thank all for their help.
Did a few days with lights out to knock down a little algae that had been creeping around. After lights out I treated the tank with flatworm eXit. This was followed by a multiple water change. Finally added some GAC to the sump.
All of this seems to have done the trick and I can't remember the last time the water has looked so good. Only time will tell if this took care of the flat worms for the long term.

Once again thanks for the input!!!!