Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Carbon?

What type of carbon do you use? I have been using Seagel and am looking for something a little more cost effective.

Thanks
Old 11/08/2007, 05:07 PM
RC Mod

I have used Black Diamond and SeaChem Matrix, although I'm considering trying the ROX 0.8.
Old 11/08/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I'll have to check out the ROX 0.8.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:59 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

The best are ROX, Matrix and TLF Hydrocarbon.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:03 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I use hydrocarbon.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/09/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks...I think Seagel is combo of Matrix and Phosguard.

I'll check out the hydrocarbon.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie's Angel
I'll check out the hydrocarbon.
I've heard it's very dusty. Might need a good rinse and if you are running it actively, I would have it drain into a filter sock.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:28 PM

First, dust mean nothing Second it is not dusty.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/12/2007, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Guys what the difference in the ROX 0.8 and the Hydrocarbon compared to Kent and Black Diamond. What do the first two carbons do differently and how are they better/more effective?
Old 11/12/2007, 12:05 PM

How efficient a carbon is, is based on a series of tests that often are seen on carbon data sheets. i.e., MB #, I #, mean pore diameter, surface area, mess size, etc.. These values change with grain size, type of raw material used, activation means and whether or not the carbon is acid washed. ROX and Hydrocarbon are such carbons, which use better raw material for our needs and both are Acid washed. In short, for the most part, it is really the pore size of the carbon and its grain size. Acid washing is an option that is nice to have, as it removers allot of the Ash, which we do not want and opens the pores more and makes them more active.
Old 11/12/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
How efficient a carbon is, is based on a series of tests that often are seen on carbon data sheets. i.e., MB #, I #, mean pore diameter, surface area, mess size, etc.. These values change with grain size, type of raw material used, activation means and whether or not the carbon is acid washed. ROX and Hydrocarbon are such carbons, which use better raw material for our needs and both are Acid washed. In short, for the most part, it is really the pore size of the carbon and its grain size. Acid washing is an option that is nice to have, as it removers allot of the Ash, which we do not want and opens the pores more and makes them more active.
Boomer does this enable me to use my carbon longer, clear water, purer water or what? Right now I has Kent Marine carbon and Black Diamond. I thought all Marine carbon was the same. Just trying to understand.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:06 PM

Black diamond is fine. The others remove more and faster, it is more of a choice. ROX will clear up the water to crystal clear faster than any of them and keep it there longer but it costs more also. No all marine carbon is far from same by a long shot. The Kent carbon is for gas phase operations not liquid phase like water. SeaChem Matrix is also a great carbon

Old 11/12/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Well it's time for me to order some supplies and I am going to try the ROX carbon. I was sold when you talked about clarity. Black Diamond works extremely well compared to Kent in my opinion. If anything is better than BD then it has to be good. I will PM you once I get back to Dallas next week and perform my maint. Thanks for the input!!!!!
Old 11/13/2007, 12:04 PM

OK

Old 11/13/2007, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmotown
Boomer does this enable me to use my carbon longer, clear water, purer water or what? Right now I has Kent Marine carbon and Black Diamond. I thought all Marine carbon was the same. Just trying to understand.
this also depends on how you are using it. putting it in a phosphate reactor uses it more effeciently. The water is forced through all the media rather then just hitting the edges as the case with carbon bags in the sump.

The flow rate through the reactor or sump would also make a difference on any carbon you were using.

I use blackdiamond and a phosphate reactor. The max I leave it in is three weeks.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I have mine in a Mag 350 cannister filter and I use my phosban reactor for my Rowa.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

I'm use kent carbon. I think fine and before you use, must wash with Ro/DI water several time until all the dust was gone.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefworldaq
I'm use kent carbon. I think fine and before you use, must wash with Ro/DI water several time until all the dust was gone.
I just let the reactor hose run into the micron filter sock for 30 sec to a min.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Would using a small canister filter such as a cascade 500 work well for carbon or any other type of media?

75 AGA
diy refugium 20gal (eco-system style)
mag 7 rtrn - 2 MJ 900 1 MJ1200
wavemaster pro
Duel 175 MH Duel NO
Excalibur HO skimmer - on sump
70 lbs lr
70 lb
Old 11/14/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1064
Would using a small canister filter such as a cascade 500 work well for carbon or any other type of media?
yes lots of guys use canister filters--just take out any other media.