Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Is one skimmer enough for my setup?

My system consists of a 24 gallon AquaPod, a 10 gallon refugium and a Remora skimmer. I want to add another AP24 to the system increasing the total volume of water to 58 gallons. Does anyone think that I will need to add another Remora or am I good with just one?
Old 09/24/2007, 07:46 AM
Moved On

actual system volume is prolly gonna be less then 50g on that setup when you compensate for rock/sand/fish/etc...... and a Remora will do a fair job on that.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

if you have the sump room I would drop the remora (not a good skimmer) and get an octopus nw150 or nw110, but if you do not have room the remora is better than nothing and should be OK.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

The Remora is unworthy in my opinion, mine sits on the balcony. YOu should only need one skimmer. I agree, drop the Remora and get a good in-sump model.
Old 09/24/2007, 02:45 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, the remora isn't good for anything other than aerating your water and heating your tank.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:28 PM
Moved On

Ahh the Remora/Urchin bashers, they always drop in threads trying to push people away from them when the percentage of those who can't get them to skim is significantly lower then those who can.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

I never liked the remoras design from the day they hit the market, they are an ok skimmer but better can be had for around the same $$
Old 09/24/2007, 03:44 PM
One Good Friend

U cant polish a turd Jetcat......i guess you can try though, although your going to get the same result no matter what you do.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
U cant polish a turd Jetcat......i guess you can try though, although your going to get the same result no matter what you do.
i clean my cup every night so this is about 19 hrs after the last cleaning..............it's an Urchin Pro, it's on a 75 reef that also has a 75 frag tank connected with a total system volume of 165g.

it won't polish a turd as you say, but it'll dang sure skim one from the water. because YOU can't get one to skim doesn't mean it's the skimmer at fault. there are allot of Euro-Reef/Bubble King/Tunze/Deltec/etc... owners who post 'I can't get my skimmer to skim' posts all the time, clearly it's not the skimmer.
Old 09/24/2007, 06:51 PM
One Good Friend

I used the remora properly bud, it just sucked. The quality control is the big problem. One out of so many will actually work ok. You got one of the few. And its funny you say I can't get one to skim. Read a few more remora forum's and see for yourself, your the minority. I'm glad you found the needle in a haystack. But there are so many cheaper skimmers out there that are much better. I just wonder why you would suggest one when there's a huuuuge chance its going to do nothing like most.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
The quality control is the big problem...........
Yeah, two elbows and a plug with a #10 hole drilled in the center is a struggle for such a low budget company like Aqua-C.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow. Sorry for starting an argument. I was just wondering if I would be better off with a bigger skimmer. From what I can deduce it seems like one skimmer of that size would be enough but just not that brand.

I don't want to get crap thrown at me but in Aqua-C's defense I think it's a half way decent skimmer. I get very similar skimmate to what JetCat USA is showing and I think that is a beautiful thing. Quality control is a differnt story. I'm sure they produce some bad apples which I believe you guys are referring to.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:39 PM
Generic Member

I couldn't get my Remora (Pro) to skim worth beans either. Dropped in an ASM G2 (not a great skimmer) and it did in a day what the Remora would in a week. I also had no problem getting my Deltec to skim, and my Euro-Reef...and also my ATI Bubble Master is no problem. Is there some special talent required to get a Remora to skim? The only adjustment is the cup height. Is there something they are keeping a secret?
Old 09/24/2007, 08:44 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
The only adjustment is the cup height. Is there something they are keeping a secret?
they have to sit level as well, both front to back and side to side.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:47 PM
Generic Member

True.
Anything else?
Old 09/24/2007, 08:55 PM
One Good Friend

LOL

they have to sit level as well, both front to back and side to side. [/QUOTE]

Great point there.....

If you are getting a sump set up i'd suggest you sell the remora to someone new for a hundred and get a octo150 nw for a bit more. It will skim circles around a remora. After adding an in sump skimmer to my tank it pulled over 3-5cups a day for around a month........my remora missed it all i guess. Anyhow, my DIY skimmer now pulls 2 cups a day of dark thick sewage coffee. It would have taken 2mths for my remora to do what my skimmer will do in a day. And i'm not being dramatic.....that is a fact. Like i said, i've used a mag 3 on it, then a mag 5, then an extra large collection cup and a mag 7....then it was in my sump. I did everything possible to give it a chance.....it just plain stunk.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
Yeah, two elbows and a plug with a #10 hole drilled in the center is a struggle for such a low budget company like Aqua-C.
For some reason they have trouble putting two elbows and a plug in the same spot every time. I think that's what he was trying to get at.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

What is this octo150 nw you speak of? For me it's not so much the money. I just want to ensure I get something that does the job right. Because in the long run when it doesn't work it ends up costing you more. This wonderful knowledge only comes with experience.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

octopus needlewheel 150
octopuskimmer.com