Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2005, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

who else is a nerd

Does anyone else out there have friends that think you are a nerd. None of my friends that I hang out with have fish. So they do not understand the addiction. It is funny when i tell them i bought a new fish for 40 dollars or a coral for 30, but when they come over they sure are intrested in my tank.

"Show me that new fish, or coral"

There is no real point to this thread except to say that i think we as reefers are a misunderstood, but envied group.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

I'll play! I guess I'm a nerd... like you, my friends think my tanks are pretty but don't really want to hear about what goes into keeping fish/corals/plants. I can understand; there are things I find fascinating on the surface that would probably bore me silly if I knew all the details. Embrace your nerdiness - you're part of a very special group here
Old 11/18/2005, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Guilty as charged! My coworkers think I'm nuts. They all say the same thing when they come over though "I thought you were crazy spending all that money to grow pet rocks". Once they see my tanks they seem to get it, but the next day they're back to busting my stones.

I learned a while back that the busting is lessened by not giving particulars on how much you spend on things. $800 for lights certainly opens you up to ridicule.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:24 AM
Will work 4 corals

My friends are pretty cool about it. Though, I don't tell them (or my wife) how much I spend on it.

So shoot me!
Old 11/18/2005, 12:26 AM
Team RC Member

i will admit! Yes I'm a Dork

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/18/2005, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

I don't know what you are all talking about. All my friends want to be me now that I have a reef tank and it is a huge chick magnet, more so than my mustang. I've never been this popular, I find myself having to fake vacations just so I can take a break from all the festivities surrounding me. I'm almost tempted to sell my tank and turn to a life of seclusion abandoning my new found fame. The life of a reefer is one of loneliness, everyone wants me for my tank.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Yea me and my friend have decided that we are dorks during our hour drive to a random "not so local" LFS.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:37 AM
keyboard cowboy

yep, total nerd here...between the reef, and the computer bit there is no getting by that i am one big NERD
Old 11/18/2005, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all the responses. LFSmarineguy did you dream that? My friends can say all they want but it will never stop me. Im hooked. I will never live anywhere that i can not have a reeftank at.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Yes I am the uber nerd. I give my self that title... Some of my friends actually have tanks, and the rest of them want them... so they don't give me too much hell. But the fact that I do it for a living definately makes me a nerd. Oh and lets not forget the fact that I'm on RC... And LFSmarineguy, that's THE funniest thing I have seen all day.
Old 11/18/2005, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

well lets see, Computers, Electronics ,
chemistry intensive box of rocks,

Yeah, that will set off the NERD! alarm.
Old 11/18/2005, 09:53 AM
Registered my member

I'm a computer nerd and a reef nerd. I guess I just need to get into anime to complete the triumvirate.
Old 11/18/2005, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Engineer and reefer nerd here. At least my hubby thinks so.

Jen
Old 11/18/2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Absolutely....I love telling people how much live rock costs and then watching their expression. But then, I have the same look when they tell me the cost of thier new driver or 3 iron
Old 11/18/2005, 10:03 AM
a Buffer fish

Actually to anyone that thinks reef tanks dont get chicks, think again.... Chicks fall in love with the "cute" fish and the color. Think about how many girls like flowers. I think a reef tank would blow away the beuaty of any garden of flowers. But just dont tell them how much it cost, thats a turnoff to them. They want that money spent on them...

Unless you find a reefer girl like i did! Spending a thousand bucks on rock and not have to ask her permission, is well, priceless.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Definitely a nerd (reef tank, work in IT full time plus an IT company on the side) but happy about it. My girlfriend loves the tank! She even stopped by the LFS last nite and brought home another clown fish and 4 more blue green chromis fish to add to our school.

Everyone that comes to my house is so impressed with the tank. I enjoy the upkeep and everyone benefits.

The other great thing about this hobby is I get to finally utilize all those chemistry and microbiology courses I took in college :-)
Old 11/18/2005, 12:28 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

To Reef Central
you nerds

J/K
Old 11/18/2005, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

I work with a 40 year old doctor that collects fantasy trading cards. Then he brings in his album and tells me how one blue dragon fairy is more powerful that another red dragon fairy. Compared to that, if I'm a nerd I'm an amatuer at best.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:52 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

another Reefgeek here. Going from sports and Muscle cars to reef tanks and computers, I really try to keep my nerdiness down low but can't help but get excited when someone see's my tank and i get to explain all that has gone in it. good thing my wife thinks i'm cute when i get excited.
Old 11/18/2005, 01:21 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

LOL. Thru my 20's I like to think I was pretty cool, livin the hotshot advertising life in LA/SF, travelling, partying, spending lots of money of booze n cars n girls. I played a lot of golf and other sports. I think I got cooler with each year that passed, the cars got nicer and the women got hotter. I had smaller tanks between 40-60 gallons.

Then I met another cool ad chic who made lots of money and figured we'd be cool together. It lasted a while, we travelled and partied for 2 years, then we got suckered into a home in the suburbs, had a kid. The golf got more scarce, the tanks got bigger and bigger and bigger. My friends visit me all the time and each time comment on how much more of a dork I've become. Now I get excited about seeing really nasty skimmate, or when my alkalinity is stable. I have been completely transformed into an uber-nerd and I love it! Of course I feel like my mid-life crisis is coming early. ;-)

Viva La Reef Geeks and Fish Nerds!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 11/18/2005, 01:40 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

From wine, women, and song, to...
beer, the old lady, and the reef tank.
Old 11/18/2005, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm definatly a super nerd. I attend a marine biology and oceanography specialty school (nerd breeding facility) and even my friends think I'm a nerd when they see all my tanks.
Old 11/18/2005, 01:53 PM
Reef Mania

My wife's best friend's husband makes fun of me to her about me talking about my new tank. He tells her about how I drag him to see the changes to the fish tank and tell him about it every time he comes over. But, he asks to see the tank and asks all the questions about what is that, why is that there, what is this, so of course I answer each question with a 5 minute speech. If he is not interested he shouldn't ask, but he asks about things every time he comes over.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 11/18/2005, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

all my friends love my tank, but think that it is just some simple thing thats easy to do.

like i have a friend with an empty tank and he was just like i want to set up a tank like yours, i was like uhh i dont think so
Old 11/18/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

My wife calls me a nerd, good thing she doesn't know how much I spend on the tank.