Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Achilles Tang yes or no?

I would like to know if anyone here on reef central has had any success with one. What requirements are needed to sucessfully keep one? Also I have read that they need high flow survive. Thanks Bobby
Old 03/30/2006, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

These fish are harder to keep than other tangs. I have only had mine for a couple of months, so I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

As with any other fish, I would give the fish a good inspection and make sure that it doesn't have any injuries, as these fish can get easily injured in the collection process. Additionally, I would make sure that the fish is eating well before purchasing. These fish can get ich very easily. You may need to feed it garlic soaked food to help it fight off the ich. Finally, putting the fish in QT is always helpful.
Old 03/30/2006, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

anyone else?
Old 03/30/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Had one for a month then died of ich.
Old 03/30/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I have one for almost two years. It is the dominant fish in my tank and simply gorgeous. But frankly, Achilles is not easy to keep, requires very stable water condition with lots of hiding space. Unlike other tangs, It does not compete well with other fishes for food and may starve to dead. I also noted that Achilles is easily scared; it may hide for days simply because I put my hands in the tank.

Think carefully before getting one.
Old 03/31/2006, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

It's a shame, they're such beautiful fish. I guess this is why you don't see these fish in the LFS often. Why is it that god gives us these beautiful fish that we can only enjoy in the ocean?
Old 03/31/2006, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

I have one, I have to respectfully disagree about competing for food. Mine is extremely fast, and out competes all my other fish, including 6 anthia's, blue sided wrasse, clowns, pacific blue tang. This fish takes flake out of my fingers, and clears up a 3"x 6" strip of nori in less than 5 minutes. He bites the tips of my green brittle stars legs right off, and nips my clam. He is extremely aggressive. If you like peaceful community fish, pass this guy up. I would say, if you have good water quality, and high flow, like Tunze pumps, go for it. Find a good LFS with quality fish, and quarantine, because it will have ich. And IMO, this fish needs to eat a lot. They are very active, and burn food fast. HTH

PK
Old 03/31/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Had one for six months then died of ich :-(
Old 04/01/2006, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

I must admitted that I have limted experience for Achilles;the one I kept for two years is my second try only. So it is possible that it so happan I have a particularly timid fish. But anyway, I don't recommend Achilles to the inexperience; they have a poor record of survival.

MHO only.

Neo
Old 04/01/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

mine was doing pretty well untill i ran out of carbon and accidentaly used freshwater carbon.
thats wat killed

the fish
\