Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 01/10/2008, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

Experiment

A buddy of mine broke down his tank today and gave me some broken off frags of a few random acros...I got them home and decided i wanted to experiment a bit. So i took one purple bonsia with green polyps and cut it in half. i then glued a small piece of ORA nathans green mille in between the two piece of bonsai then attached the bottom to a plug. It is now sitting on my frag rack awaiting to see what happens. Anyone ever try growing acros togther like this? what should i expect to happen?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

You should expect some Chemical Warfare to happen, and either one coral kill the other and grow, or they kill each other, or even that you cut the frag to small and it will simply not survive.

=/ Not the best experiment, but some things must be learned the hard way.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:11 AM
Premium Member

i thought doing that would make them chemically battle each other untill one wins...or is that just with different species?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:17 AM
g l a s s b o x

your bonsai is about to get it's arse kicked i only know of one coral that has been grafted, the tyree simplex.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/10/2008, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Well the hard way would have been paying a crazy price for these corals...cutting them up and haveing them die. We cleared out my friends tank and these were kinda just 1/2 inch or so frags that got knocked off while trying to move a big rock that the colonies were fused to. So if it doesnt work i wont be to upset about it i still have other frags of each of these on thier own plug. So either way i will be able to grow out a colony of each. I guess we will see. If it does grow together that would be one hell of a bonsai. I guess ill call it Craig's Hairy Bonsai haha!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:56 AM
How a relationship works

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
your bonsai is about to get it's arse kicked i only know of one coral that has been grafted, the tyree simplex.
And they are not even sure how it happened . They have a idea how it happened but who knows.

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said