Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/04/2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

question about joes juice

Had a pretty bad outbreak with aptstatia (think its spelled wrong).Directions say shut pumps off to do.Well i did but ever since i did it my xenia is looking really bad.Would joes jiuce kill it to if i got it close.I know every now and then my xenia looks shrivelled up but its been like this since i used the juice.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:26 PM
One Good Friend

If they filtered the joe's juice it may. I'm not a fan as my aptasia always came back two weeks later with them. I then got po'd after the same two came back every freakin time in the same place for over a yr. I took out the LR and boiled the part they were on......killed them instantly! then scrubbed and rinsed off that part of the rock. Since then i found two more that i couldn't see because of the coraline on my glass. I couldn't boil them as i've got to many corals there so I got two pepermint shrimp that had been trained to eat aptasia. They were gone within 2 days of adding them to my 125g display. I'll always go the natural approach from now on. And i don't think i'll have a problem anymore.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

There is a new product out that is similar to Joe's Juice but different in key ways:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=16828

It seems to stick better to the aiptasia and has provided excellent control for me thus far. A major issue for me with Joe's is that it clumps and becomes impossible to use after being open a few weeks to months. So far I haven't seen any such issues with this new product.

I would recommend turning off pumps, to concentrate exposure on the aiptasia and reduce exposure of other critters. I had aiptasia growing in and among xenia, and I killed them successfully with this product. As far as I can tell the xenia is unharmed.

Dan
Old 01/04/2008, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks will give it a try.I was almost tempted to take the rock out and place it a container then hit it with it.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

heard nudibranch love Aiptasia but once the Aiptasia is gone so is the Nudi
Old 01/07/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

What about the Mejano anemones? That stuff from F & S listed above works on those, but nothing in nature will eat them? I do have other good anemones so butterflys would probably not be an answer as they might bother my anemones and sps, lps.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

IME aiptasia are much more prolific than are majanos. Additionally, majanos have shorter tentacles and are actually somewhat attractive. In short, I don't worry too much about the majanos. If you want to kill them, both Joe's Juice and the new Aiptasia Control products are deadly.

I know that peppermint shrimp can be coaxed into eating aiptasia (if they feel like it). Not sure about majanos, although you can bet that there is some natural control for these guys (otherwise there would be nothing else on the reef).

Dan
Old 01/07/2008, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Actually in my tank the mejanos are getting out of hand and I have no aptasia. I use the Ap. control and it works very well. Mainly they bother the corals and clams if they get too close. They are kind of pretty though, but on the back of my rocks they are all over and I can't reach them. Oh well, they're better than green hair algae, which I have none of, thank God.

Kay