Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Green Algae

Hello,
I have a 125 reef with 150+ lbs live rock, a 45 gallon fuge with some cheato/mangroves/dsb. I got the rock from an established tank and it was out of water for 30 mins. Tank has been running for about two weeks and it finished its cycle very quickly due to the above l/r. I run 3 250 halides from 11am-5pm each day.

I get green algae all over the front tank glass and on the back I am getting bubble algae with some hair algae. Why is this?

Water test are the following,
nitrare 0
nitrite 0
phosphate 0
calcium 450
amonina 0
ph 8.4

I used all RO/DI to fill it and do water changes.

Thanks
Old 12/18/2007, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Also If anyone wants to trade Cheato or anything else for some Mangoves let me know (PM). I have loads of mangrove pods. Thanks
Old 12/18/2007, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

The algae is caused by nutrients in the water and light. I would venture to say that light is not the big issue here, probably nutrients. Your test kits may saying zero but the nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) are there and the algae is most likely using them up. Two weeks even with established liverock is a bit on the short side for a cycle, The algae is typically pretty normal at this time and will subside over time. Granted you will need to continue to perform regular maintenance (water changes, blowing away detritus, etc) but it will go away.

The bubble algae, IMO, is a product of the liverock and probably nothing you did or is it related to the cycle. The stuff comes and goes. I would aggressively try to remove / maintain / control the stuff. Manual removal if necessary.

If the algae is really bugging you try turning off a couple of the lights and just run one of them (the center one). Less light can be helpful in getting through an algal bloom. Also, of course, there is your friend, the mexican turbo snail, or 4, perhaps 6. They will make pretty quick work of hair algae. That hard green stuff on the front.... stay on top of it. Perhaps a scraper. When it builds up it becomes overbearing, I have combatted it by taking away the light.

Again..

Light + Nutrients = Algae

FWIW --landlord