Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 11/24/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Aussie Lord came off of skeleton

I have about 15 different Aussie lord frags. And have had one to come completely out of the skeleton. Not sure what could have caused this. Anyone else had this problem with Aussie lords?

The frag is 4 or 5 polyps and it's doing well, expands and eats, but just no skeleton for a base?
Old 11/24/2007, 01:41 AM
Geek

pics?
Old 11/24/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Sorry no pics. I have reattached it using a netting. I feed the polyps every other day. So hope it will reattach. Just wondered if anyone else has had this to happen.

All the polyps are healthy no damage anywhere.
Old 11/24/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

I have read about this. I think that it was referred to as polyp bail out. I have a small frag of non indo's doing it now also. I do not think that the polyps will survive once they "bail out". Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

there is also an algea that attacks and weakens the skeletons of lps corals, I've seen it happen to bubbles, pearls, and frogspawns. I think it's called boring algea. I assume, like other algea, lower nutrients, more water changes will help.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

The polyps have been out of the skeleton for a month now and seem to be doing well. They all eat.

I didn't see any type of boring algae on the frag or the skeleton.
Old 11/24/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Znut that is good to hear that they are still living. I have one that I was looking at today and one of the polyps is barely attached. It does not look "unhealthy" otherwise so maybe there is hope.
Old 11/24/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jasper. Yes like I said the polyps get all fluffy and they all eat. And they are all attached to each other. They have been like this for a month. Hope yours makes it also. Maybe they will grow a new skeleton if they stay healthy is my hope. Mine are the rarer pink aussie lords.

Last edited by znut Reefer; 11/24/2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

How long had you had them before they bailed out? This seems to be pretty common with Aussie Lords... Many of the colonies are shipped with a lot of black sponge or other organic waste stewing away inside the rocks.
Old 11/24/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

I had them for about 2 to 3 months. I never saw any black sponge in the frag I got.
Old 11/24/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Check your MG levels. I have seen several LPS bail out from the skeleton and in about 50-60% of those times the MG and strotium levels were low.

Also As stated before these acans are coming in with alot of sponges that are dying off in shipping and in our systems causing the coral to die. I like to give them all a nice dip and thourough swishing before placing in my tank.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

znut, it could be inside the frag (if it was a recently cut frag when you got it, you would have likely seen that, though, depending on how big the frag was). Mg is good to check, too. What about Iodine? I don't dose it (don't test for it), but could it help prevent bail out?
Old 11/24/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

It was at least a 5 polyp frag and it was fresh cut and shipped a week later. Didn't notice any black sponge. I will double check the mag and see what it's reading. Last time it was 1350. Maybe I'll add some to get it to 1400 just to be sure.

Thanks for the help. I hope the rest don't do this. ):

I don't add iodine either, since I don't test for it.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Underwaterparadise
[B]Check your MG levels. I have seen several LPS bail out from the skeleton and in about 50-60% of those times the MG and strotium levels were low.

Yes I agree w/the above post. I had this problem as well after I dosed Stronitium things started turning around immediately.