Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/11/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

Would like to know which would be better :

Lumen Bright or Lumen Bright Mini's.

I need to get units to use on two 6ft*30in*30in tanks.

The reason I ask is because the difference in postage to Australia is between the two items is $250US.

Should I buy 6 lumen brights and pay $400 postage or should I buy 8 Minis and pay $150 postage? - mini's can be send by US post as apposed to UPS courier for the larger units.

I would like to use 250W or 400W globes in each. Ive read nothing but good reviews on these units so far and am sure that either of these units would be better then my 150W pendants.

Before placing order with tony form reef exotics I would love to know your thoughts.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Frankie
Old 11/11/2007, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Tank looks great Joe! Great job with the rock work. Love the caves and I am sure your tangs do too. Good to see the front of it Tank is lit up as would be expected. I will have to agree with you Jeremy that 250' s are going to look like 400's with the LB's. The 175's on glxtrix tank looked like 250's.

Definitely curious about the reflector angles Joe... Was it a few beers or is their a method to your madness.

Jim

Last edited by bubbletip2; 11/11/2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sonofstarstamps
Hi All,

Would like to know which would be better :

Lumen Bright or Lumen Bright Mini's.

I need to get units to use on two 6ft*30in*30in tanks.

The reason I ask is because the difference in postage to Australia is between the two items is $250US.

Should I buy 6 lumen brights and pay $400 postage or should I buy 8 Minis and pay $150 postage? - mini's can be send by US post as apposed to UPS courier for the larger units.

I would like to use 250W or 400W globes in each. Ive read nothing but good reviews on these units so far and am sure that either of these units would be better then my 150W pendants.

Before placing order with tony form reef exotics I would love to know your thoughts.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Frankie
You would never be able to fit 6 lumenbright larges or 8 minis above your tank. I would go with 3 minis on a 6ft tank at 18 inches off the water and run 400 watters.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I would like to make a suggestion to everyone that is curious about using LumenBrights for their current system or one that you are setting up.

It would be really helpful to get an idea of what you are trying to do with your tank.

For example:

1. Do you want an SPS Dominant tank?

2. Would you like to maintain SPS on the bottom or clams for that matter or do you want to grow them out faster.

3. Do you plan on keeping softies?

4. Is the cost of electricity an issue for you - there was a guy in Bermuda that is paying 35 cents/kwh?

5. What kind of rock work are you looking to do? Will you have pillars, a rock wall streched across the whole tank or are you growing a cube of the bottom for instance?

6. What is the clearance from the water to the ceiling or wherever you can mount a reflector?

6. And lastly what are your exact dimensions fo the Tank, Length, Width, and Height

I think you get the point. There is so many ways to build a tank. It is important information to know what you are trying to accomplish with your tank before making any suggestions on what reflectors to buy, MH bulbs, and ballasts.

Ok I have said my peace...
Old 11/11/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Jim how many beers have you had?????? 7 comes after 6. LOL
Old 11/11/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

lol....they arent my best work thats for sure...they are 16" above the water on chains.....There is a big weight difference on one side to hold the modules it causes them to ummm not be so straight...lol I cant mount them to the ceiling or they would be 20+ above the water.and Im limited in room so for now..it will have to work...oh and I was in there straighting up..they can be straightened up a little....
Old 11/11/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Joe,

sometimes, you do, what you gotta to do. lol!

We all have to compromise...
Old 11/11/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbletip2
Tank looks great Joe! Great job with the rock work. Love the caves and I am sure your tangs do too. Good to see the front of it Tank is lit up as would be expected. I will have to agree with you Jeremy that 250' s are going to look like 400's with the LB's. The 175's on glxtrix tank looked like 250's.

Definitely curious about the reflector angles Joe... Was it a few beers or is their a method to your madness.

Jim
Jim check out my new baby..and yeah I had a few beers hanging them lights...

Old 11/11/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

also notcie on my luminbrights I have mounted 1 watt led moonlights to the reflectors....
Old 11/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

"You would never be able to fit 6 lumenbright larges or 8 minis above your tank. I would go with 3 minis on a 6ft tank at 18 inches off the water and run 400 watters."

Yeah, I probably did not make myself clear. I have 2 tanks, both 6*30*30. im looking at putting 3 on each.

Is the differnece between the two lumenbrights the spread? Would the mini have a more intense or focused hot spot then the larger size?

Cheers,
FP
Old 11/12/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

They both should be set arround the 15-20in height. The larges spread the light out more for larger tanks. Right now with my tank the light does not bleed outside of my tank on the floor, yes I am beeing completly honest. My trim around the tank is left in the shaddows. This is what makes these reflectors so perfect. All the light is directed into the tank and not the surounding room. I would say tank widths up to 32 inches should use the Minis. Anything wider go with the larges. If you place the larges on a tank not wide enough you will be waisting light and will not be getting optimal performance from these reflectors.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Holy Cow glxtrix!

If you would have said those were 250's I don't think anyone would question it. That tank is lit up bigtime. I can't wait to see it with 3 reflectors. Keep us posted.

And you are really 6-8 inches? Still waiting on the measurement... Also can't wait to see par readings to see what they give off. Are those the Iwasaki 14K's? I hear those give off some pretty high par readings for a 175 and appear to be pretty white as I have been hearing as well. Your data will be really telling of what the LB's can do. Thanks for posting

Heh, thanks man. yeah they are the Iwasakis, amazing bulbs IMA. I'll be getting new bulbs after thankgiving....hellolights will be having a sale need that cuz these bulbs are expensive!! The third reflector should be coming in the mail on thursday Hoefully sooner, I'll update a pic once installed. Here is another pic of the install from the orignal 2. I think I lied about the 6-8"....I forgot to measure over the weekend, but the reflector if I rmember right from when I build the stand and canopy, the bottom of the reflector is 7" from the tank...soooo I guess that would put the bulb anywhere at 12-15" off water??? I'll measure tonight to get exact numbers, I'm just spittin crap right now, lol. The bulbs are a lil more white and the right one a bit more yellow just due to age of the bulbs. They are almost at a year now and IMO they should have been chsnged out at 8mos. Due to their high PAR, they degenerate a lot faster. But I dont think I'll change from them any time soon. I use to have them over my 55, with regualr spider reflectors and never had a heat issue. Hopefully that will remain the the same with the addition of the 3rd When the bulbs are new, they have a hyper white look to them, kinda like Xenon car lights....very crisp white with a nice hint of blue....stunning I might add! I'll be adding 2-48" URI Super actinics soon....that should make all my colors pop Nothing like a VHO actinic! I cant wait to get the PAR reading from this thing, my clubs PAR meter is currently getting fixed, so hopefully after thanksgiving it'll be ready to go....should ahve the new bulbs by then so it'll be nice to see the numbers.

Old 11/12/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

hendersonracing, beautiful naso!!! I have a baby one on the way for my tank, my favorite fish!
Old 11/12/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

a great addition
Old 11/12/2007, 09:27 AM
Beware of the LE curse!

Hello all, i was reading a long, lots of reading....I am currently running 2 250 watt 10k xm se halides w/ 2 95 watt vho actinics....i am getting a new canopy and was thinking of some lumenarcs.....My tank is a 92 gallon corner...My question to you all is which would be better lumenarc minis, or lumen brights?

Thanks for all your guys' help!
Old 11/12/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Can some one confirm sizes of both penedents...
i see three different size online...
please give me real measurements
Custom MRC Sump Refugium
Circulation Tunze Wave Box
Main Pump - Sequence 3200
Cooling 3 - 119MM Fans and 1/4 HP Aqua Logic Chiller
Controller-Aquacontroller III
Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor
MRC Kalkreactor
Old 11/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by glxtrix
[B]Heh, thanks man. yeah they are the Iwasakis, amazing bulbs IMA. I'll be getting new bulbs after thankgiving....hellolights will be having a sale need that cuz these bulbs are expensive!! The third reflector should be coming in the mail on thursday Hoefully sooner, I'll update a pic once installed. Here is another pic of the install from the orignal 2. I think I lied about the 6-8"....I forgot to measure over the weekend, but the reflector if I rmember right from when I build the stand and canopy, the bottom of the reflector is 7" from the tank...soooo I guess that would put the bulb anywhere at 12-15" off water??? I'll measure tonight to get exact numbers, I'm just spittin crap right now, lol. The bulbs are a lil more white and the right one a bit more yellow just due to age of the bulbs. They are almost at a year now and IMO they should have been chsnged out at 8mos. Due to their high PAR, they degenerate a lot faster. But I dont think I'll change from them any time soon. I use to have them over my 55, with regualr spider reflectors and never had a heat issue. Hopefully that will remain the the same with the addition of the 3rd When the bulbs are new, they have a hyper white look to them, kinda like Xenon car lights....very crisp white with a nice hint of blue....stunning I might add! I'll be adding 2-48" URI Super actinics soon....that should make all my colors pop Nothing like a VHO actinic! I cant wait to get the PAR reading from this thing, my clubs PAR meter is currently getting fixed, so hopefully after thanksgiving it'll be ready to go....should ahve the new bulbs by then so it'll be nice to see the numbers.

Hey glixtrix,

Tank looks great. If you are 7 inches off the water from the bottom of the reflector it should be 11 inches from the water. See what happens if you raise them another inch or two. You may be surprised to see some light on the sides that you never saw before. I have nearly the same dimensions as you and I am up 16 inches with the big ones. I can understand lowering them to 12-14 since they are 175w bulbs. I too looked at the 175w 14K Iwaski for my 30g cube when setting it up over a year ago. The par rating was equal to a lot of 250w bulbs. Looks like a pretty nice 175watter from your pics.

I am really questioning the need for VHO's. Do you really want to replace more bulbs which equals 220watts. I would just go with one more LumenBright and another 250w bulb and call it a day. In order to get anything but aesthetic light with the VHO's you need to be optimally 4 inches from the water with those VHO's. That looks like it will be pretty difficult with your canopy set up. I too thought I wanted VHO's over my tank but could not figure out how to get anythign but spider reflectors in and VHO's at the same time. I have seen VHO's hanging 10-12 inches above a tank and I ask why? You are not getting any usable light from them. Sure you can see them, but that is about it.

I did not think that a bulb could produce a true 50/50 10K/Actinic in a MH until I discovered the 12K Reeflux bulbs. These bulbs are all you need to get the color to pop in a tank. Take a look at the September TOTM and you will see what I am talking about. The most natural color I have ever seen from a bulb. And for photographing tanks I have never experienced such easy photo editing to get accurate color than I have with 12K Reeflux when shooting for the TOTM. Looks like swimming on a reef on a sunny day If you are going to upgrade I would highly recommend 3 - 250w 12K Reeflux bulbs and bag the VHO's all together. Less bulbs to replace and your tank will be lit up like a Christmas tree.
Old 11/12/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fusch13
Hello all, i was reading a long, lots of reading....I am currently running 2 250 watt 10k xm se halides w/ 2 95 watt vho actinics....i am getting a new canopy and was thinking of some lumenarcs.....My tank is a 92 gallon corner...My question to you all is which would be better lumenarc minis, or lumen brights?

Thanks for all your guys' help!
Can we have your tank dimensions and what are you trying to grow in your 92?
Old 11/12/2007, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRaquatics
Jim how many beers have you had?????? 7 comes after 6. LOL
lol! I just noticed that I put 6 and 6 as my final two points on that post. I rattled that post off in a few minutes and realized I had one more point to make. Nice catch Jeremy.
Old 11/12/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendersonracing
a great addition
Nice find for sure Joe. Great looking Naso. Have you gotten Lightroom for photo editing yet? You should give me a call soon so we can talk shop.

Jim
Old 11/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

cool man and thanks for your sugestions....I think i'm going to stay with my 175's for now. As far as the actinics only reason why I'm going with the VHO's is I like to have some extra coloring befor and after the MH's come on and turn off, and to me, the VHO colors is amazing. Reflectors arent really an issue because of some bulbs with reflectors build into the bulb.....granted its not the same, but actinics really dont do much for most of our corals, so there really us no need for the reflector. I figure with 3-175 and the VHO's, I'll still be under wattage than going with 3-250's, wayyy under the heat issues and definately close to PAR, if not beating some 250's As far as raising the reflectors, thats really not possible. The canopy was buit as a flip top so I'm limited with raising. I think once the 3rd gets installed, there will be a lot of light bouncin around.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:04 AM
Beware of the LE curse!

Bubbletip2,

the 92 callon corner is a bowfront, but dimensions are 48 1/2"x34 1/4"x25 1/8".

I am looking to keep sps and lps mostly.

Thanks
Old 11/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice find for sure Joe. Great looking Naso. Have you gotten Lightroom for photo editing yet? You should give me a call soon so we can talk shop.

Jim
Jim I tried it for 30 days its awsome...Im trying to get the boss here to order it for our store....
Old 11/12/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glxtrix
cool man and thanks for your sugestions....I think i'm going to stay with my 175's for now. As far as the actinics only reason why I'm going with the VHO's is I like to have some extra coloring befor and after the MH's come on and turn off, and to me, the VHO colors is amazing. Reflectors arent really an issue because of some bulbs with reflectors build into the bulb.....granted its not the same, but actinics really dont do much for most of our corals, so there really us no need for the reflector. I figure with 3-175 and the VHO's, I'll still be under wattage than going with 3-250's, wayyy under the heat issues and definately close to PAR, if not beating some 250's As far as raising the reflectors, thats really not possible. The canopy was buit as a flip top so I'm limited with raising. I think once the 3rd gets installed, there will be a lot of light bouncin around.
Totally understand. To each their own. Some people like the dawn/dusk effect you get from VHO's or T5's. Just as long as you are not requiring that light for growing coral. For me, I would rather have more room in the canopy and not have to replace a bunch of bulbs and purchase the extra ballast for the VHO's. I actually had an Icecap 660 and sold it because I did not want to bother with the extra bulbs.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I thought you were upgrading to 250's. Just for reference, I run a 250w 12K bulb on my 30g cube and have a 7 inch Lumenmax 3 reflector(Diamond Light design) and keep it 8 inches from the water. My temp stays between 78.5 and 79.5 - sometimes goes over 80 during the summer. Good luck with the new lighting set up. I would love ot see how you get the VHO's in? Keep us posted.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

yeah the VHO ballast was pennies to everything else, lol. I picked up an ARo ballast for 30 bux, got free end cap and stand offs, bulbs are in the mail as we speak Yeah these arent for any growth at all, some research shows there is little growth from the actinic side of lighting, but it does make the colors pop nice yeah as of now, I'll be stayin with my 175's....an upgrade to 250's could happen, hell i never rule out anything, lol. but prolly wont, unless I can find one that out performs my 175s in color and par. Which I'm sure is out there, but the need isnt that great right now. Heh yeah the VHO's are going to be tight, who knows it might now work and I might just have to go with some moon light options....oh well, guess we'll see. Thats the fun of reef keeping....the trials and tribulations, LOL!!!!