Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I talked to the guys at Reef Exotics today and he said that they have plenty in stock. Also they told me that it would be best to put large Lumen Brites on my tank. This would put the bottoms of the reflector about 2-3/4 inches off the top of the tank, and i suppose the bulbs about 8" off the water. Does this sound ok to you all?
Old 12/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefready180
I talked to the guys at Reef Exotics today and he said that they have plenty in stock. Also they told me that it would be best to put large Lumen Brites on my tank. This would put the bottoms of the reflector about 2-3/4 inches off the top of the tank, and i suppose the bulbs about 8" off the water. Does this sound ok to you all?
There is no way the reflector should be that close to the water surface. I would suggest this height for any reflector on the market. Most people hang there LBs 14 inches or higher. There is no need to have these reflectors so low and a disadvantage to you.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone...

drudude
Yes those are moonlights on the bottom of the reflectors, I made those myself from LED accessory lights designed to clamp to the windshield wipers of a car. They are 12v so I just used and old 12v transformer I had from some device I dont use anymore.
Best part is that they are completely waterproof....I have let them accidently fall in the tank a number of times without incident. I got them at an O'Reily's Auto Parts store.

JRaquatics:
It took some time for the corals to reaclimate to the additional light even though they were the same bulbs.
I use XM20k's and I am starting to notice some real nice colorations as the corals get aclimated.
Another big difference was tank temps....heat is a much smaller battle now because of the lights being higher from the water.

reefready 180:

I will try and get that measurement for you tomight.....Stay tuned.
You want from the center of the bulb to the back edge of the reflector....Correct?

einsteins
Old 12/20/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

lumen brites

jraquatics:
I have a AGA 180 (72x24x24) built into a masonry wall with a max clearance above waterline of 13.5 inches. It is lit with 3 250watt XM 15ks and old gull wing parabolic reflectors. Tank is 2 years old with many large sps colonies positioned mostly mid to high. A combination reef wall sides/center pillar aquascape 2 clams on the bottom, currently with no heat problems. I would like to replace the reflectors with the Lumen Brites, however I am a little worried about bulb height off the water with these, as well as light coverage in that shallow of a space. Now I have 10 inches (bulb to surface) clearance off the water with the old reflectors. lastly, do you all think that the large Brites would give better spread at the lower height than the Minis? moving the tank or changing the height is not possible, all plumbing is going down through a concrete floor to the sumproom below. also there is a steel beam supporting the opening the tank is in, directly above the canopy. this is s cement block wall. I really want to know the best reflector to use while keeping in mind that it will have a close bulb height (8-9 inches) that is non-negotiable.

Einsteins: thanks for the replies, the guy at reef exotics measured (estimated that it would be a better bet) for me the Lumen Brites bulb socket placement along the centerline of the reflectors side profile of the large(9" side dimetion w/ mount at 4.5" to the CL) , and mini (7" side dimention W/ mount at 3.5 to the CL) but if you would measure from the back of the reflector to the front edge of the bulb (closet bulb surface to the water)

Thanks in adavence fellas!
Old 12/20/2007, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure what you mean by your measurement request....
By back of the reflector you mean including the socket assembly that is mounted on the outside of the reflector?

Let me know and I will get what you need...

eins
Old 12/20/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

looking at the relector in the side profile, the back would be the location that has the mounting screw hole or that touches the mounting bar/canopy. the front would be the open end of the reflector closest to the water the socket assembly would be on the side. the reflecting light leaves the bulb hits the back of the reflector and comes foward out the front. sorry i dont know how else to explain whithout a picture. hope this helps. thank you again
Old 12/20/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanks...I was vewing it differently....

The measurement from the surface where the mounting hole is to the side of the bulb that is closest to the water is 4" to 4 1/4"

My bulb sits at a slight angle thats why there is a 1/4" difference from one end of the bulb to the other....

If this is not the measurement you need let me know and we will get it....

eins
Old 12/20/2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Would you guys recommend mounting the reflectors so that that bulbs are parallel (lengthwise) or perpendicular (widthwise) to the tank. Tank measurements are: 72 (l) x 24 (w) x 29 (h) and I'm installing 3 reflectors with 250 Watt Reeflux 12K MH Bulbs on IceCap Electronic Ballasts with bulb height of 16 inches over the water surface.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12/20/2007, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

With the sock assembly on the reflectors I dont know if you will have room to mount the bulbs parallel with the tank.

I have mine parallel with the tank but I only have 2 reflectors.
I also used a single centered rail to mount mine to so I had to have mine parallel in order for it to balance properly.

eins
Old 12/20/2007, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

The tank is going in a wall and I have about 3 inches between the wall and the tank
Old 12/21/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Einsteins, thank you, that is the one i needed. I really appreciate your time.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Just ordered the Large Lumenbrites (2). Going over a 140g. with a 120g footprint. 48Lx24dpx29t. Going 400w Radiums on PFO hqi ballasts. Tank is still in build mode. Should be up and running in a month or so. Tranferring a overcrowded 70 gal. sps/acro tank over to it.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

lumenbright over acrylic

anyone have these reflectors over acrylic? How high do you have them? Just wondering how high I need to place these so that it does not produce excessive heat to cause stress or crazing on the top with the light be more concentrated and all. The reflectors are slightly larger than my openings (by 1-2").
Old 12/23/2007, 12:24 AM

My Diamond reflectors have blackened PVC without actually being right over them. I would suggest extreme caution in your case.
Old 12/23/2007, 12:58 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
My Diamond reflectors have blackened PVC without actually being right over them. I would suggest extreme caution in your case.
You are running 1000w bulbs though, right?
Old 12/23/2007, 11:59 AM

yup! Them's HOT!!
Old 12/30/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Here's an update. I just finished moving my corals and fish from my 90gal.

These reflectors are the greatest thing I have done yet to my new tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:17 PM

looks really nice.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
looks really nice.
Thanks jnarowe, I can't wait until the tank matures. I have already seen a drastic difference in my corals colors. I also have to give credit to the Reeflux 12ks along with the reflectors for that though.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I'm waiting for the pendants...hopefully only a couple more weeks. I sent hello an email for ETA...I saw that acroporanut was supposed to have them also but I'm not sure which etailer he runs. Can somebody shed some light on that for me? When I see a dual ballast that says 110 vac, that will work for the 12k SE reflux?
Old 12/31/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
I'm waiting for the pendants...hopefully only a couple more weeks. I sent hello an email for ETA...I saw that acroporanut was supposed to have them also but I'm not sure which etailer he runs. Can somebody shed some light on that for me? When I see a dual ballast that says 110 vac, that will work for the 12k SE reflux?
I don't think the pendents are available yet. You could call or email Mike at Reef Specialty about the lighting.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRaquatics
I don't think the pendents are available yet. You could call or email Mike at Reef Specialty about the lighting.
Somebody posted earlier that they would be available in 3 weeks. Hopefully true because thats what I want.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

When I talked to Reef Specialty and Hellolights the pendants were coming soon. I'm looking to buy two DE pendants.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

I have a quick question. I have 2 of the 12k bulbs - 400w on Icecaps with Lumenbright reflectors. I measured the par on both bulbs about 14 inches above the water. On one bulb I get PAR readings directly below the bulb, one inch above the water of 1500+ directly under it and about 1400+ in about a 6 inch circle under the bulb. In the other bulb, I get a max reading of about 1400+ about the size of a golf ball slightly to the right of middle and around 1200+ in a 6 inch circle. Both bulbs are oriented nipple up. The lower par bulb in looser in the socket to get it oriented this way. Should I be seeing such a difference? It looks like the lower par bulb is slightly less blue and I can see a bit of a difference visually between the bulbs which promted me to test the par (apogee meter). Both bulbs have been running for 5 days, 6 hours a day.

Thanks
Ray
Old 01/01/2008, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

which way is your nipple up, down , or to the side