Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

A couple of brittlestar photos

A small brittlestar was being photogenic, so here are a couple of photos. It was eating a cleaner shrimp molt.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 07/26/2007, 04:42 PM
I like sticks in my tank

You always have the best pics!
Old 07/26/2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Well, thanks Mike, but that is certainly not true. I have lots and lots to learn. I found a site that's specific to aquarium photography and I'm sowly trying to work my way through their info. Well, okay. I'm moving right now, but I'll be working my way through their info really soon.

In anyone's interested, here's the website: http://<a href="http://www.aquatic-p...com/forum/</a>

The photo above was just aching to be taken, though. Perfect light, the star wasn't going anywhere.... Point, focus, shoot.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 07/26/2007, 05:38 PM
I like sticks in my tank

What kind of rig do you use?

I have a nice digital that doesn't seem to like my tank despite my best efforts. Unfortunately it is not an SLR and the film limit is 400.

I do have a Nikon FM2 and a decent macro lense though. It's not like a digital...I actually have to take notes (ugh!) and compare them to the photos when I get them back. I've been meaning to buy some new film so I can take another round of shots but haven't gotten around to it yet. Last time I used a couple of rolls of 800 and ended up with ~6 good pics. The subjects were nothing like yours though!
Old 07/26/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

It's a Canon 20D with the 100mm 2.8 macro lens (great glass!). I took the shot freestanding (my tripod is broken) with the lens braced against the glass. I just used the built-in flash for this photo.

IMO, it's no longer worth it to shoot in anything but digital, unless you have something specific you're trying to achieve. The cost of film alone (not even to mention processing) will quickly cover the difference in price. But you know this.

Quote:
The subjects were nothing like yours though!
What do you mean? I just take pictures of the things that show up in my box o' water. I like the little stuff, so there's endless amounts of it and it's all really interesting. I'm still trying to get a good microphotography rig together. That's some cool photography!