Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/20/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

Can anyone help me out with Bangaii photos?

Hi! I've been roped into giving a presentation to my daughter's first grade class on Bangaii cardinals (they've been talking about pets, animal rights, extinction, etc.). Does anyone have any photos that I can printout and use just for this presentation? It would be especially helpful if you have photos of babies (you know kids and babies).

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 03/20/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I could send you pics of my Pajama Cardinals - I have three of them. Two are larger and one is smaller.

They are not quite as bright as the Bangaii's but have exactly the same personality.

Let me know
Old 03/20/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Well, I have some pretty decent PJ photos, even some with the male holding eggs. But, I'm supposed to emphasize the endangered species point since that's one the class has been been hitting. Since Bangaiis will likely be on CITES next year, the teacher's really excited about them.

But thank you very much for your offer and I'll let you know if I need them!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 03/20/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

You might want to contact the folks at http://www.tropicorium.com

They have a major breeding operation for Bangaiis.
When I have been there they have had them in every phase, from the breeding pairs to the itsy, bitsy babies and everything in between.
Old 03/20/2007, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the idea, JennieD! I will head over there and try to get hold of them.

Old 03/20/2007, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

i don't have any baby photos, but here are a few of the two that i have.. fell free to use them if you'd like... Lisa

Old 03/20/2007, 06:33 PM
Fish nerd

I've got several pics of my babies from the day the hatched until about 21 days old (they don't really change much from then, just keep growing, LOL). the quality of the pics isn't much though I'd be happy to share them with you.

The male brooding eggs, notice the doubled lines of white on his throat. When he's not brooding eggs, you only see a single line like on the female.

Here's the pair of banggai keeping my maroons company. (The male is in the lower left and is holding eggs here too.) I don't know why, but the maroons tolerate the banggai better than any other fish in the tank. FYI, I didn't even notice the male was holding eggs until a few days after I took this pic. I never expected them to breed!

A baby within seconds of hatching. I had forced the male to spit the eggs so I could attempt raising t hem, should have let him brood a couple of more days to get them all hatched first. I collected 17 eggs in January, 14 hatched, 13 lived to 3 weeks, 12 still going strong at this point.

First day hatched. Really nothing here for size reference, the little white dots all over are tiny air bubbles caught on the underside of the acrylic specimen container.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 03/20/2007, 06:37 PM
Fish nerd

18 hours old and starting to get some black lines

2 days old and able to bump upright along the bottom, but not swimming yet (another reason to let the male brood a bit longer)

3 days old and one brave little guy discovered the artificial urchin I'd made. For size reference, the "spines" are toothpicks.

Closer shot, same day

6 days old

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 03/20/2007, 06:39 PM
Fish nerd

21 days old

I'll take some pics and see if I can get you an update. The male is brooding his second batch and I think they hatched a day or two ago, I'll see if I can get that in a pic too.

-George Eliot
Old 03/20/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

catdoc those are great pics!!!
how long do you think the male should carry the eggs before forcing him to spit them out?? and how did you do that? catch him and give him a little squeeze? also , do you keep the fry in a seperate little tank away from the adults?
Old 03/20/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Thank you, Lisa! Printed and ready to be pasted.

Old 03/20/2007, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanks so much, catdoc! I haven't printed your batch yet, but I'll get them out later tonight.

Good stuff, y'all!

Old 03/20/2007, 07:50 PM
Fish nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by cateyes
catdoc those are great pics!!!
how long do you think the male should carry the eggs before forcing him to spit them out?? and how did you do that? catch him and give him a little squeeze? also , do you keep the fry in a seperate little tank away from the adults?
Someone told me to wait until I can see the little fish looking out at me! Others recommend forcing the split so he is able to eat (he fasts for the whole time he's brooding--over 3 weeks). I made him spit them by netting him and then gently holding him by the tail over the water, dipping him in and out of the water usually made him drop a few with each dip. I had the fry in a specimen container for a day or two, then moved them into a 10 gallong so I could manage their water quality and feedings. I moved the fry into my fuge a week ago and I'm trying to get them onto frozen/flake foods now. They'll sample it, but so far I've not caught them actually accepting it. I figure they can feed on the pods until they get the hang of it.

-George Eliot
Old 03/20/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by "Umm, fish?"
Thank you, Lisa! Printed and ready to be pasted.
glad they were to your liking! i have a few others if you are interested... Lisa
Old 03/20/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by catdoc
Someone told me to wait until I can see the little fish looking out at me! Others recommend forcing the split so he is able to eat (he fasts for the whole time he's brooding--over 3 weeks). I made him spit them by netting him and then gently holding him by the tail over the water, dipping him in and out of the water usually made him drop a few with each dip. I had the fry in a specimen container for a day or two, then moved them into a 10 gallong so I could manage their water quality and feedings. I moved the fry into my fuge a week ago and I'm trying to get them onto frozen/flake foods now. They'll sample it, but so far I've not caught them actually accepting it. I figure they can feed on the pods until they get the hang of it.
it all sounds very interesting. i hope one day i can get so lucky with mine... thanks,, Lisa

keep us up to date with more pics, i love them...
Old 03/20/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
glad they were to your liking! i have a few others if you are interested... Lisa
Well, sure! I'm not sure I would ever say, "Don't post photos of gorgeous fish!"

This is turning into quite the collage. Thanks, everyone!

Old 03/20/2007, 11:40 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Catdoc, that is so incredible! Awesome pictures, too! I had 2 of them but one died 2 or 3 days after getting it and it never ate but I still have the one and it is huge! I don't think I could have went through all of that though. Do you keep the babies then or are you going to sell them?

Melting!
Old 04/02/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

it must be fairly easy to raise these fish right? what else do you have in your tank catdoc?
Old 04/02/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all of the photos! The presentation went splendidly. In fact, so well that they've asked me to come back and give the presentation to the other first grade classes. If anyone would like to withdraw permissions for their photos for another presentation, please let me know.

Thanks!