Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 01/02/2008, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

TLF Coral Revive

Has anyone tried TLF Coral Revive? If so, how does it compare to other dips such as the Tropic Marine stuff and other iodine dips?
Old 01/02/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Heres a recent thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1279029
Old 01/03/2008, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

I appears to work much better. Knocks them of with very little agitation; all I did was twist coral gently once after 30 sec in the bath and they all fell off. Writhed and squirmed for about 2 min then were still. Wish I had made a video of that. I have done 3 treatments and have not seen any sign of damage or eggs in 4 weeks. BTW this is in my frag tank and it's very easy to pull every coral and inspect.

One downside is the newer bottle seemed to be stronger. Corals reacted poorly. Slimed up, couple nearly bleached and lost 1. I would suggest making sure no corals sit in the bath for more than 15 min. With the original bottles I was able to put 15 or so corals in a bucket together. By the time I got them all out inspected again and rinsed some would be in there as long as 25 min. But had no problems. Can't do that with this newer bottle.

One way to tell what strength you have is using the recommended dosage 40ml/G, the newer bottle made the bath whitish opaque. Difficult to see to the bottom and to see if any worms fell off. Original bottles you could see easily. All bottles had same dosage on the side.

I have 1 more unopened bottle. I will probably try another round of treatments with it.

Oh and it does smell like pine sol. One ingredient is pine oil. Kind of funny on the label they tell you not to be used as a household cleaner.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice Phil. So would you recommend maybe using a smaller dosage from the newer bottles? Let me know how your next round of treatments go.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

have been messing around with this stuff - it contains pine oil, a phenolic disinfectant which works as an endocrine disruptor. This is why it smells like pine-sol. Some interesting/boring reading:

http://epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/pineoil_red.pdf

From my basic observations, it will make monti eating flatworms release, and consequently die, but is ineffective on the eggs at the recommended dosage.

On a side note, I mixed up an emulsion of pine oil, added this to a dip and when using the concentrations indicated in the epa file, the result was quite opaque, and the corals did not respond well. I am trying lower concentrations, will report back with results.