Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

pda/smart phone expert

I have a question for you; I just bought a htc p3600i phone, I have basic t-mobile phone function. currently I am using wi-fi anf wireless networks from my house and work to access the internet, email..etc
my question is these is free correct ? am I going to get charge for this ?

also how can I activate hsdpa and 3.5g from t-mobile? thank you
Old 10/21/2007, 05:38 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Tom, it's like the phim heo that you download from the internet, it's free, my man. No worries.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

thanks, I was trying to watch some video on youtube from my phone and it stating something about additional charges from the phone company. I am new to the pda/smart phone so I was leak out.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:56 AM
Moved On

I would be careful. I have a treo and so does my wife. Verizon service. The phone will automatically dial out ot the net and incur bandwith charges. If the device says that you may be charged additional, i would call t-mobile and ask them. it costs me an extra 45 a month for internet on my phone, i had to deactivate it on my wifes phone cause she has no use for it. But if someone sends her a picture message it actually uses internet not sms. So be careful that it is only using wi-fi (free) and not a dialup cell service (charge),
Old 10/21/2007, 11:18 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

oh yeah, that's different then. I thought you meant using the wi-fi feature off of wireless routers that do not have security enabled.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

to make sure, I turn my phone off while using the wi-fi. I also check the connect once in the while and it show someone else net work on the connection list.

I haven't set up my modem or anything on the phone yet, still playing with it.

Some one here have a tomtom map or any navigation software for sale ? free ? borrow ?...please let me know.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

i use to pay 49.99 to verizon broadband access on my cell, unlimited kilobytes usage, but if you connect to a wifi signal/hotspot for free, just remember to call your service provider to have them block of any broadbank service on your phone, or dial out from your phone or just basically tell that you do not want any charges incur by mistake. then you can setup your phone to use where you can pickup free wifi.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:34 PM
Moved On

I pay the 45 to verizon. The benefit is that i got a hack for my phone so that i can hook up to my computer (laptop) and when im on the road i have internet. If you call verizon and tell them that you want to do that they will charge you like 60 a month to be able to use for a modem. Forget that!!!!
Old 10/21/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Yea, Ive used Treos for the the past 2 years and I would get that $45 charge also when connecting to the internet even though I didn't want the browser. I now have the Sch-i730 with wifi feature with verizon and its free.
Old 10/21/2007, 03:14 PM
Moved On

I use the internet like crazy on my phone. I have a slingbox that i can watch TV on it. I have my email. I have chat. I have MMS messages. Google Maps. All that stuff. i would go nuts without it.
Old 10/21/2007, 03:53 PM
It's Domo-kun

If you are using WiFi (802.11) then you cannot be charged. No worries. If you are using their data service, then they will meter it and charge you based on your plan.
Old 10/21/2007, 04:34 PM
Moved On

Right,
But you have to make sure that you are actually connected to the wi-fi. If you are not connected then if you attempt to use something that needs net connection, then the phone may connect via cellular and that is when they will charge you per kb