Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

mixing interceptor questions...

I just treated the first time for red bugs..... and when mixing the interceptor i added it to really hot water thinking that it would help dissolve the interceptor better, but my question is did i riun the interceptor by adding it to hot water? should i just use room temp water.... how well does it need to be disolved... please anyone that has treated please reply... i am not too sure and am confident in using the treatment, but not confident in the mixing process........
Old 09/11/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

i am not sure what would happen if you mix it in hot water...drop a hermit in and see if it dies...that will tell you if it is working or not...lol...i just treated some corals and they turned out great...but i found that the interceptor disolved very fast in cold water so i dont see a need for hot water.
Old 09/11/2007, 11:52 PM
Moved On

if you crushed it up to a fine powder it should of dissolved pretty readily in tank temp water.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

well i originally did a double the dose that meleev recommended and now i just added another double dose.... i just want to treat a few times as possible.....
Old 09/12/2007, 12:33 AM
Moved On

just use a spoon and crush it to as fine a powder as you can and it'll dissolve very quickly and then you'll know there isn't any problem with it due to the heated water. remember that old saying 'Haste Makes Waste', nothing good happens quick so don't try to rush it and do it right the first time.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

thanks much appreciated... i understand that, i just dont want to have to treat more than 3 times.... and i want these little#$%ers dead.... they havetaken over my colony of paletta blue, and he has lost all of its color and wont extend polyps... now he is brown, noy bright blue tips with a green body...... and i think they are taking to my new frag of the blue bottle brush. thanks again....
Old 09/12/2007, 11:30 AM
King of the white corals

actually...HOT rodi water is the way to go....especially for incoming dips when you dont want to take 4 + hours to confidently kill them all.

It makes it much more soluble and will start going to work in ten mintues.....my dips are done in 1 hour, confidently killing all redbugs If i take my time crushing it, then using hot water and a strong dose, I actually think they are all toast in 20 minutes.
Old 09/13/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

how hot? do you put the coral in hot water? or do you let it cool to room temp first? if so doesnt that harm your corals?
Old 09/13/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

1 hour Hot RO/DI water will kill SPS. Am I missing something here?
Old 09/13/2007, 03:26 PM
King of the white corals

lol...yeah.....i think a few seconds of hot water would do them in.......

I meant just mix your ground up interceptor in just a cup or two of hot ro/di water........then pour it in the tank for a in tank treatment or in your qt tank or your dip bucket or wherever you are treating. Your water should be normal temp....a cup or two of hot water and interceptor wont mess with that
Old 09/13/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Ah I see. I thought your were "cooking" acropora like Ramen noodles! LOL!
Old 09/14/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Hot interceptor, kill redbug and red acros very quickly

what I do is leave the pill inside the sealed plastic that it comes with, and crush/pound it with a meat tenderiser flat side, this will grind it into a nice fine powder without the mess, and then I take a small clean jar, fill it half way with some of the tank water and then open up the pill and pour the powder into the jar, close the lid and shake shake shake ... no no not your booty .. and then pour it into the tank