Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Anthony Calfo
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2003, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Question Purified water - carbonic acid

Things like this make me wish I'd paid attention in chemistry class. I have a new Kent Deion 200R unit, and the pH of the purified water suprised me. I ran about 10 gallons through just to get the unit working, and then I sampled the next batch. With a freshly calibrated meter: 3.09. I realize than carbonic acid is a by-product of the purification process, but this pH totally kills my plan to rig up a top-off valve from a sump to the DI unit. I expected to have to buffer and aerate the new water some, but not his much. Is that pH to be expected, or should I be contacting Kent Customer Service? Thanks
Old 10/13/2003, 08:23 PM
Parapterois heterura

Although low (and depending on the quality of membrane/resins used, plus quality of source water)... the acidic pH you have observed is very common for demineralized water. Pure Di/Ro water is almost never to be added directly to an aquarium (else it will be a burden on the buffer pool, etc). It can be dangerous at times.

All such purified water is to be at least aerated... and usually buffered/remineralized too before using as evap or salting for wc's.

We have much on this subject (rendering RO or Di water for use) on wetwebmedia.com. Likely quite a bit of archived threads on good message boards like this too... do search for your consensus, my friend.

Anthony
Old 10/13/2003, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I guess I was not specific enough in my search (which I always do before starting a new thread) Forgot about WWM, though. I'll start there. Thanks as always.