Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/06/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Green Goniopora

I am considering purchasing gree gonioporia and my friend is telling me that it is incredibly hard to keep alive. I have other LPS in the tank and they are doing well. I have anenome, green braind, large frogspawn, trumpets, etc... does anyone have experience to share. I have a 90 gallon with 6 54w t-5 and tremendous flow in the tank.
Old 02/06/2007, 12:18 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

Your friend is partially correct (research first). Getting them established in the tank is the difficult part (research first). Fish stores usually do their share of damage before the coral is even purchased, so you would need to know what to look for in order to obtain a healthy coral (research first). They need to be handled carefully (research first). They need to be positioned properly in a proper environment (research first). They need to be fed in order to keep them from starving over the long term (research first). "Tremendous flow in the tank" may not allow the coral to extend and will definitely make it more difficult to feed (research first). If you get them established, they will need plenty of space to extend (research first). If they stop extending after 4-8 months, will you know what to do (research first)? If they start to bleach after 4-8 months, will you know what to do (research first)?

It would probably be a really good idea to do some in-depth research first before purchasing a "Green" Goniopora. If you do that, then they may not be so incredibly hard to keep.

HTH
Old 02/06/2007, 02:40 PM
Goniopora Aficionado

I apologize for sounding sarcastic in my last post. Each point does need to be researched, but I could have written it differently . I definitely don't want to discourage people from asking questions about Goniopora on here. That's how it was in the past........you couldn't even mention the word "Goniopora" without getting stomped on.

Sorry.
Old 02/06/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Can you post places to get more info about them???
Old 02/06/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

thanks for both replies I appreciate the info. Although you were sarcastic i also did not provide enough info to you about my experience and my system. I have been looking for more info and find very little on the net which is why I posted this request. My LFS is very experienced and I have purchased many fish and corals from him in the past. He says that since my brains and frogspawn are doing so well the conditions should be fine for the Gonoipora. Any additonal info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I do not like to take things out of the wild that i cannot properly care for and would rather get something else than kill something.
Old 02/06/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

It's a risk, but I have one for almost 3 years and recently started receiding due to my clows hosting it, it really started not too happy about a year ago when I upgraded the system, I have more flow this time and on top of that the clows went in. I've tryied to feed it before with no success it seems that it didn't grab anything so I just let it be, I tried brine and cyclopeeze. Not sure why but it was in my 55G for 2 years with no feeding, but probably I had more nutrients in the water. It's a mystery.

In the 55G

In the 125G (darn clowns ) a few moths ago

I guess I should try to feed it again.