Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Off topic: Internet services on LI

Sorry for posting an OT thread here. Thought this is probably the best place to ask such questions.
I am using Optimum online now but thinking to switch to Verizon high speed DSL (3M speed). I know cable is faster than DSL. However, the actual performance depends on many factors and people never get the claimed speed. So, is there anyone had experience to comment on both services? I had pretty bad experience with cablevision (slow CS, high price, confusing statement, wrong billing, etc.), but I need to know if Verizon worth the switch. My primary concern is its speed.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Oppsss, forgot to say thanks
Thanks to everyone who shares the info and Happy New Year to all!!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 11:52 AM
How many is too many?

I would suggest Verizon FIOS. Its alot faster than Cable and quality wise of the TV it blows cable away. I get no pixelation. Verizons internet speed is as advertized. You wont be disapointed.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

yeah if fios is available in your area i would def chose that over dsl. I use cable and i'm actually pretty happy with it, but i have played with fios at a friends house and they definitly get faster internet speeds. cable and fios are very similar in price so it wouldn't be a change there, but if your looking for faster internet it might be worth it.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Check to see if FIOS is available, I switched from Cable to FIOS and haven't looked back. The DSL packages are all dependent on your distance from the Verizon central office, the further away the slower it goes.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Too bad FIOS is not available in my area....
Is Verizon DSL significantly slower than Optimum online?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yeahcheetah
Too bad FIOS is not available in my area....
Is Verizon DSL significantly slower than Optimum online?
DSL will be quite a bit slower than a cable modem if you can't get FIOS.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

fios is garbage unless you get a new plan which is like 140 per month

the slower version of fios which is equal to regular optimum cable is 69.95/month and only runs 15mbpsdownload/15mpbs upload

when cable regular runs 15/5 and optimum boost is 30/5

also you cant beat the triple play crap with all together prices would be lower than just the phone bill
Old 12/31/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member.

Cablevision is also upgrading modems and services in the next few months speeds will be boost = 45-20 non boost 35-15

you didnt hear it from me but we are already uncapped and they already have the 50/50 available but are going to be offering even more speed for the same price 49.95 non ov 44.95 with ov.

next year should be a good year

Also unles your paying the 149 for the fios its not worth it and CV is upgrading all the tv services also
Old 12/31/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

I have both, Verizon for personal (TV, Internet and voice) and Cable for business (Internet I don't use via Cable but have it because you can't get voice without it.)

Telephone: Cable is the winner right now, but service has been dropping lately as it brakes up more often; especially when the kids get home from school.

Internet: Cable pulled ahead but FIOS blew it away; raw speed is nice but cable is still shared not switched so big performance difference. Cable is finally offering static IPs but blocking ports unless your business and you still need to get boost before they'll open it, screamed greed to me. This may have changed but I never bothered to check.

TV: I'll give FIOS the edge here, content is basically the same but Verizon gets my vote because they have NFL Network, faster guides/menus and like CB747 mentioned less pixelation on HD programming. If you only want basic cable I'm tempted to say Cable would be a better choice but if you want past that Verizon is the better choice.

So what have learned from all of this....the phone company has the better TV and the cable company has better telephone.
Old 12/31/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

lol, Joe, I like your conclusion.
I think I'll go with the phone company, when it is available to me.
Thanks to all again!
Old 12/31/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Verizon is so much faster than Optimum. They use fiber optic cable the whole distance, while cablevision only uses fiber optic from the telephone pole to your house. You won't be disappointed with the switch.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:34 PM
How many is too many?

Well its good to see CV is actually upgrading there equipment. They were a monopoly too long and fell behind in tech. I like not sharing my connection with 12 of my neighbors. If i recall CV was uncapped in the beginning and then they capped it and sold higher speeds for more money. There still doing it. They have to do something now that they couldnt take the company private. Greedy bastards! The only thing i will give CV credit for is there customer service. In that dept they blow Verizon away.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:42 PM
--sister of geek--

If you are accustomed to Optimum, don't go with DSL if you ever download anything . I use FTP a lot from home with DSL and it is painfully slow. However, it is the cheapest, so that gets my vote. By using Skype for most calls I get away with $40/month for phone and internet.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Christine,
What is Skype?
Old 01/01/2008, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

cablevision actually doesn't use fiber optic from the pole to your house. they have fiber optic on the poles, the wire going to your house is copper. with fios the fiber optic ends at the outside of your house in a big plastic box and is converted to copper wire to run throughout the house. I also have to imagine that in feb 09 when CV stops broadcasting the analog signal it will clear up a lot of bandwith.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Joe, Skype is an Internet phone company, started off on eBay and picked up some steam; www.skype.som

Scott, I only see it getting worse, remember all those analog signals will just be switched to digital; they're not going away.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Analog channels take a up a lot more bandwith than digitial or even HD channels. If I remember correctly, for every analog channel that is taken offline, they can add 7-9 digital channels or 2-3 HD channels. Analog is a bandwith hog.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:18 PM
--sister of geek--

Yes, Skype allows me to make all the phone calls I want from my computer for $10 a year. Sweet.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Never looked before now but your right, gotta remember Google is my friend
Old 01/02/2008, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

According to consumer reports, In feb issue, Verizon fios beets all the the other services by a long run in internet, television , and long distance.