Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 06:32 PM
Pingy Pingy!

AquadMedic SP3000 pump issue

I have an issues with the AquaMedic SP3000 pump. I picked this up recently and have noticed an issue. The top of my pump labeled as "drive wheel with rollers" is different than all pictures. The pictures on AquaMedic's site and manuals show a X shaped item that connects to the two rollers and looks to hold the tube in place. Mine is just a straight piece between the rollers. In turn, after less than a minute of running, he tube inside the pump has worked itself up and pops off the cover. The issue with this is not only does flow decrease since the rollers are only engaging part of the tube, but also allows for liquid to siphon through the unit when it's off since the rollers no longer fully pinch the tube.

The yellow X on the top is what I mean (off of AquaMedic's site):

I've filled out their form on the webpage, but no response as of yet. Anyone have a contact number or any idea what I should do?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:37 PM
I am a super nose picker

I don't have that on mine.Mine works fine.The two rollers are supposed to pinch the tubing tight.Was the unit used?Maybe the tubing is defective.If the tubing is worn out it won't let the rollers grip it properly.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

hmmm im not sure why it happens... i have a similar issue but it does not happen as quickly. over a month span the cover will pop off and the tube will start working its way out... my solution was to glue the black plastic tabs that are part of the tube with *very* little amounts of super gule and that seems to have fixed it.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:40 PM
I am a super nose picker

here is a pic of mine that rubber tubing fits in the slots of the plastic and its closed with zip ties.I have the replacement tubing also
Old 12/16/2007, 06:40 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Nope, brand new. I could try swapping it out for the other tube in the box. The issue is, with nothing to hold the tube in place, it's inevitable that it will move. The only way you could force it to stay in place is to angle the rollers closer to the wall towards the top of the pump.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:45 PM
I am a super nose picker

you can maybe try some glue or silicone like dmilne85 did.If the plastic top pops off then the tube will make its way off.Make sure the tube is in that slot at the bottom.Maybe try to lubricate the tubing so the rollers go over it smoothly.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:49 PM
I am a super nose picker

it could be that the motor for the rollers is defective.If its not mounted properly then maybe it doesn't allow the rollers to hold the tube tight enough causing the rollers to lose traction and get a siphon out the wrong way.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:53 PM
Pingy Pingy!

The black parts stay in place. Took some pictures, post in a few.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:01 PM
Pingy Pingy!

After about 30 seconds:

Old 12/16/2007, 07:13 PM
I am a super nose picker

try and secure or glue the cover for now.Those tabs are supposed to stay on the unit and hold the cover on.Maybe use tape for now till you get a response this way you can use the pump.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:52 PM
Pingy Pingy!

I put on the other tube and placed something heavy on the pump. We'll see if it stays in place. The lid barely clips in place. There is no real secure connection locking it down.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Eric,
This is an issue I think with the newer style pumps, mine has the X piece and works great. I saved a thread about another individual having the same issue you are. I will look for it tomorrow.
If I remember right the person used Ty-wraps to hold the cover down. Shouldn't have to though it should work with working up the rollers.
I will look for you
Old 12/17/2007, 08:54 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Well, no luck with the new tube or holding the lid down. The line still has enough room inside the box to create a siphon after it's done running. The only fix I can imagine is installing a piece of plastic on top of the rollers that forces it down, or finding the old X part if it's compatible with the new pumps.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:39 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Received a call this morning. AquaMedic has seen the issue before, and it's likely caused by a tube that's just SLIGHTLY too short (causing it to pull and move in the direction of lease resistance, the lid in this case). Stated it was odd that neither worked, but is sending two new hoses to test. If that doesn't work they'll likely replace/repair the pump.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Eric,

Odd, I called Aquamedic and their solution was to put the tube in warm water and pull on it a bit once it got warm. They said the same thing about it being a tad too short, but I wasn't offered any replacements! Since doing that, and adding some silicon lubricant to keep it flexible, I haven't had a problem.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:59 AM
Pingy Pingy!

You had the same problem? I might try that in the mean time since I can't really use it.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:52 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Forgot to reply to this with the outcome. I received the new tubes and they seem different visually and physically. They are a bit softer. However, they work like a champ and stay in place without issues. I haven't had to put anything on the lid or do any modifications.

Pretty good support from AquaMedic.