Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

goodbye VHO, hello T-5!

I have been considering for a long time now different lighting set-ups for SPS keeping. I went out to the Salty Critter today and broke down and went for the T-5's (instead of MH). This has been lots of reading and reading, and I think I made a good decision. I know lots still say MH is better, but with all I've read overall T-5 seems like the way to go (especially with all the savings over time).
I had 440w VHO before and a bad ballast feally forced my hand. Now I have IC 660 with 4 48" T-5's. When the broken ballast gets back from IC, I'm going to see how many more I can get under the hood (will try for eight, looks more like 6-7 will fit).
I will keep updating growth and such. One thing that shocked me was how much more brighter they appear. I got 2 actinic plus and 2 super actiics for now.
LMK if anyone has any advice with color, brand or whatever, thankx,

BB
Old 11/25/2007, 09:02 PM
T5 Reefer

Congrats on the new hardware! To me it sounds like a very blue mix. If you like the look then it's no problem but I might add a more white bulb where one of the actinic plus bulbs are. Something like a UVL actinic white or a UVL AquaSun might work. It will also give you a bit more PAR and probably increase your growth rates.

HTH
Old 11/25/2007, 09:15 PM
RC Sponsor

I have got 6 bulbs over my 18" wide 58 in the Oceanic brand canopy.... fits tight but bright as heck For "white" bulbs I am a big fan of the Geisemann Aquablue+ the color is just right for my eye. I run 3 of them and 2 UVL Super Actinic and 1 Actinic Plus.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

The thought you got 2 aquablue + and 2 super actinics?
Old 11/26/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

tolo is right, 2 aquablue+ (12000k) and 2 super actinics (15000k). You should have seen us trying to decide on the right colors! so many more choices than VHO. Too many names confuse me.
I went with the bluer spectrum for now, then when the broken 660 gets back I can add more white, I was thinking 2 actinic white (whatever is closest to 10K) and if I can fit 1 or 2 more...not sure. I would like to have a photoperiod with just actinics for dawn and dusk (for desireable appearance), with the brighter colors coming on an hour or two after and then shutting off before (the actinics).
I currently have them timed for (formerly VHO's were set fot 12 hrs/day): 6 hours last night, 7 today, and gradually increasing until 10-12 hours in about 2 weeks (whenever I get the additional bulbs).
What do you all think? is that too much or not enough after VHO's? Also, what is the consensus for color types with 6-8 total bulbs (considering what I already have)? Bye the way, tolo, the ballast was the problem, shipping it off today after a lot of work to test the old ballast with the new lights and wire harness. Thanks for all the help and patients from you guys at the 'critter, people like me must drive you nuts! I feel good about the choice though...
As for jamming more into less space, I plan to try to build a sort-of-concave wood support to allow for hopefully 8 bulbs total, I'll let you know how it turns out as well as the final number of bulbs in the end. I think I will try to aim the moonlights up at the relectors for more natual coverage in the tank also. I also still need to get a couple of IC fans to keep things cool. Bye the way these are all being retroed under a canopy- about 14" tall, 54"long and 18" wide.
Excited,

BB
Old 11/26/2007, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

I went t5s on my first setup and went MH on my frag tank. I don't think I'd ever do t5s alone next time. Besides the shimmer, I like the variance in lighting all around the tank. With my t5s, a lower light coral could only move down in my tank. With the MH, it just needs to move away from the light. Much more flexible.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

so do you run 4x54 on a 660?

you went from 440 watts down to 216 ? and still seems brighter?

just curious.
don't know much of anything about lighting

sean
Old 11/26/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Crazy- yes that's right, they say you can't compare watts with t-5 because when they are overdriven with a ballast like the 660, the are much brighter than thier stated wattage. I'm not completely sure what to tell you about the 440w total vs the 216 w total. In the end I will be able to fit more t-5's than VHO and that is part of why I changed. AlsoI did lots of good reading and it seems that with the right amount of t-5 lighting, you can even have good success with sps, with great coloring. Many say MH is still better, but there is a pretty good argument going on about that-has been for a while.
I chose the T-5 for many reasons including overall energy consumption, which I understand is significantly lower than with both MH and VHO. I also already have 1 IC 660, which makes the overall cost lower for me, rather than having to buy 2 MH ballasts. It was not an easy choice either way. In the end I desperately needed to get light on the tank right away since my current ballast quit. I originally wanted MH (of course) but research seemed to poit toward T-5 as the best choice for me in the end. I have seen some amazing sps tanks that use only T-5. One is a guy in europe who swears by T-5. I forget his name and I am not good with posting links. I'll see if I can figure it out for you.

BB
Old 11/26/2007, 05:36 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyseany
so do you run 4x54 on a 660?

you went from 440 watts down to 216 ? and still seems brighter?

just curious.
don't know much of anything about lighting

sean
Since he is driving these on IceCap the actual wattage went from 440 to about 320. Icecap ballasts overdrive the T5 bulbs. Shorter the bulb the more they are overdriven but the 54 watt bulbs are driven to about 80 if I recall correctly. Watt for Watt T5 with good individual reflectors is hard to beat and is much brighter than VHO or PC.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

how much is it to retrofit a 660 with T-5's?
Old 11/26/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Brad. might want to check your system out sometime

here's another question.
can you run 3x54 watt bulbs and one 24inch (or whatever?) with the same 660?

if so you could uses that "extra" on a fuge or sump

sean
Old 11/27/2007, 12:17 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyseany
Brad. might want to check your system out sometime

here's another question.
can you run 3x54 watt bulbs and one 24inch (or whatever?) with the same 660?

if so you could uses that "extra" on a fuge or sump

sean

I have a pair of 75g tanks in-wall that have 4 T5's over each of them if you want to see what overdriven T5 can do on a 75g let me know when you would like to stop by. I live about 35-40 mins from Barberton. Just west of you off of 224.

I wondered the same thing about the different sized bulbs on one IC660 since I have a 92g corner unit with 4x 36" T5 and it would be nice to have one or 2 of them 24" instead.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Will SPS, LPS, and Clams do well under T5 lighting?
Old 11/27/2007, 01:29 AM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by jefft321
Will SPS, LPS, and Clams do well under T5 lighting?
Yep... Here's a pic of my 8" clam, a smaller one on the sand bed and some SPS growing under four T5's in one of my 75s.

Old 11/27/2007, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

Crazy,
I live in Cleveland, but if you don't mind the drive you are more than welcome to come and check it out . I still plan to put 3-4 more T-5's in if they will fit. As for different size buls on a 660 the total bulb length can be 16 feet. Not sure if that means they all need to be the same length or not. You should PM or e mail Ice Cap.
Bye the way I aimed my moonlight LEDs at the T-5 reflectors from underneathe tonight also. Much more uniform appearance in the tank ( no more 'spot lighting'), but not as much light from them in the tank either. They are placed at an angel so the are not in the way of the T-5's.

BB
Old 11/27/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Seems like you're happy with the T-5's........
Old 11/28/2007, 02:01 AM
Premium Member

Just set up a clip on fan tonite timed to come on with the lights.
Thanks again tolo so far so good.

BB
Old 12/01/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

I spoke to IC about different sized (length) bulbs. They said that it can be done but they have not tested it themselves. They told me they know of other reefers who have done it and it works. Does NOT pose a fire hazard that they know of. They also said that the balast has some type of breaker in it that automatically shuts the unit down when there is a problem, so if it will light the bulbs you can do it.

BB