Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Salty Critter Discounts for Members?

I dont know if this was discussed or not before however I was curious if C-SEA members recieved any discounts at the Salty Critter? I will probably be making a trip sometime this weekend or Friday (if I am feeling dangerous..lol)
Old 11/20/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

If so, I wish I knew $3500 earlier.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

nope, no club discount.
But be sure to let him know our from the club so he continues to support us so well like he does at the meetings.
Erik
Old 11/20/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

lol...I know they do alot for the club already but I know that when I was in college (Bowling Green) alot of the local saltwater shops all had memberships so that you could get a discount. It was almost always worth it for both the store and the customer. They would have just plain discounts on livestock and supplies while every so often they would have customer only sale events. If Salty were to implement something like that I think it would be more of a reason for people to hit up the store instead of ordering online...especially for those of us who have to drive 1.5 hours to go there.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Something I shouldve clarified above...maybe a membership fee for just Salty and not associated with C-SEA since they already to so many things for us already.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

We've asked about it and he ran a add for a discount in the newsletter. Over the coarse of one year he had 2 people use it.
Side note
C-sea is about sharing information, Not about getting a deal anywhere.If the stores that sponsor the club want to do something thats up to them, it's not something we go looking for or a purpose of the club.

Dan already prices matches online prices, I can't see him going any lower and being able to run a open to the public store.

When you push the discount issue, or group buy, or the price match we start to look like a group of people looking for the best prices. Really, if I owned a saltwater shop what would be my motivation to support that club, there the people that beat me up on prices, always want a deal and will shop wherever the best price is. Thats not a customer I would want, or bend over backwards for. I'm sure the local stores view "C-Sea" as a group of people looking for the best deals. Which is the case for some in the club but not for all.
If you take care of the stores that support us, they take care of us back.
my 2 cents
thanks
Erik

Last edited by Kreeger1; 11/20/2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

I specified a seperate membership fee for Salty strictly because I understand C-SEA is a seperate entity. I never implied that C-SEA was some type of bargian hunter discount club..lol. There were things that I experienced at Toledo shops and thought I would see if anything such as that existed at Salty Critter.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Very well said Erik. This hobby isn't for the broke person either. That is why you don't see a homeless guy out on the street holding his 180 gallon saltwater fish tank. I am all for someone saving a buck or two but when you mess with someone's livelihood like Dan's then it might be time to FIND ANOTHER HOBBY! Sorry but I feel pretty strongly about this.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, but can you really compare any of the Toledo shops to Dan?? Doubtful...if you really want a store with "membership benefits" both Petland and AA offer them.....and it's built into the price......You get what you pay for, I'd much rather give Dan an extra few dollars to know what I'm getting....his prices are already some of the lowest in the area...no discount needed.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Srtn8, my post wasn't directed towards you. Its just a general statement about things.
Erik
Old 11/20/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm one of those people who look for deals all the time. At this point, I'm pretty much aware of what the price of just about anything in this hobby is. From what I've seen, especially when comparing to other LFS, Salty Critter is very very reasonable. Then when you figure the other great qualities of the store (customer service, livestock, etc), I honestly don't see a need for them to do any kind of discount.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

He does do a few "sale" weekends on livestock and such though...so there's that.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

LOL...good god...I wasnt implying that they needed to give any discounts or anything..lol. They are certainly reasonably priced and take good care of their livestock..and also have intelligent employees. It was just a simple question is all...I wasnt really looking for a lynching..lol "get a rope and string him up"
Old 11/20/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by srtn8
LOL...good god...I wasnt implying that they needed to give any discounts or anything..lol. They are certainly reasonably priced and take good care of their livestock..and also have intelligent employees. It was just a simple question is all...I wasnt really looking for a lynching..lol "get a rope and string him up"
We don't lynch...we shoot.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Oh and save your pennies for a sale!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1254536
Old 11/20/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

ask and you shall receive

so are you saying that us poor folks shouldn't have a saltwater tank?

after being in the fish hobby or any reproducable hobby(lizards /dogs? maybe) it gets harder to pay full price.
when I used to have cichlids I would get fish from other hobbiest. 6 fry for 10 bucks was better then $15 each.
using the reasoning of not looking for a deal those $78 buckets of ins. ocean should be flying off the shelves of the chains.

to me 40 bucks is 40 bucks

I know that is different then an added discount but almost everyone wants a deal

oh yeah and suck it up and drive the 2 to 3 hrs to goto salty. what better do you have to do?.... a water change? LOL J/K
Sean
Old 11/20/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

SALTY IS HAVING A THANKSGIVING SALE FOR EVERYONE, FRI TO SUN. 10-50% OFF
Old 11/20/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

that's what the link in MJ's post takes you too
Old 11/20/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Does anybody know where I can find a shopping cart and a long extension cord that will hold my 180 gal reef tank? lol

Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592

aka built4fun1