Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2006, 09:32 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by cali_reef
The water only will be draining 1/2 of the time while the box is on, cutting down the amount of flow back to the sump, alternatively, you'll need to have the water level much higher than usual so the box at the end of the tank is still under the water.
Hmm maybe I'll have to stop by your house and look at your setup again. I really don't want to put 2 overflows in the tank. In my head I've been coming up with some cool aquascaping ideas and coral placement that would work so much better with only one overflow in the corner. Also the flow I have worked out seems to be better suited to one overflow.

Here is what I am currently thinking of doing with flow and the placement of returns and powerhead.

The top and the bottom left powerheads would be 1" rotating Wavy Seas. The other two powerheads on the right would be Tunze streams.

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
Joe, my tank is almost exactly like yours 72x30x24 three sided starfire and Eurobracing, but with the overflow in the middle. The overflow box is very small and doesn't take up much room, but at the same time, doesn't give you much room to work with inside. You really don't notice it much if you put reefceramics or rock on the back.
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about not being able to get to the overflow if it is in the middle. With the old tank there were many times, over the years, that a fish or something had gone into the overflow. With the tank on against the wall and the overflow in the middle and 3 feet of tank in between, I'm not sure I would be able to get to the inside of the overflow if needed. Having on the side just makes it more accessible.
Old 08/18/2006, 09:37 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by kelhuffman
Joe, my miracles 72x36x25 starphire tank was just set up this week with the overflow on one side. its an external though but relatively small. the overflow grate is only 11 inches long. I turned on the circulation last night (Running iwaki 50) with sump room below tank and about 10 feet away. big concern was too much flow for my overflow grate size but its worked out perfectly. the biggest gamble I'm taking is running all circulation from that same external box using tunzes. nothing on the other side for aesthetic reasons. We'll see if it works out. Pics taken of my construction so far but not posted yet. Definitely still a work in progress.
Thanks for the feedback. I've given up hope of not using powerheads in the tank. With the last tank, I was constantly moving or adding powerheads to cope with the corals growing in different directions and cutting off flow to other sides. It seems that no matter what I would do a coral would think it's a great idea to grow right up and towards the flow, effectively blocking all the corals behind it. So for my own sanity I think I am better off just planning on the same thing happening rather than going with a static flow pattern that is not easy to modify.
Old 08/18/2006, 09:39 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
JB NY - can't believe you have a thread started!! that means we are one day closer to your new tank. your old tank got so many of us into SPS or reefs i can't wait to see what the new tank (whatever size it will be) will bring

keep us updated and post lots of pics!
Lunchbucket
Hey Buddy, Don't worry I'll post a ton of pictures. Once I get things cleaned up in the house I'll be able to start building the stand and redoing the fish room. I've got a ton of cool ideas that I am excited to try out.
Old 08/18/2006, 10:31 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by JB NY
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about not being able to get to the overflow if it is in the middle. With the old tank there were many times, over the years, that a fish or something had gone into the overflow. With the tank on against the wall and the overflow in the middle and 3 feet of tank in between, I'm not sure I would be able to get to the inside of the overflow if needed. Having on the side just makes it more accessible.
I understand what your saying, I can walk behind my tank so access isn't a problem.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 08/18/2006, 10:36 AM
The BS stops here!

JBNY, the biggest problem that I can see with the corner overflow is that it would really distract from the viewing on that side where a center overflow would give you better 3 sided viewing. You could always put some screen over the top of the overflow to keep fish out.

I am curious why you are considering using powerheads and/or streams when you are starting from scratch with a new tank. I for one when looking at a tank want to see the beauty of the livestock and not the mechanics (i.e. powerheads) keeping it running. Why not just go with a closed loop right from the beginning, that way all of the equipment will be incognito (sp?).

Also, I just re-plumbed some of my 180 and decided to go with the Sequence Manta Ray pump. It is an absolutely kick butt pump and runs everything that I have with pressure to spare. Just a thought.

I like every one else am looking forward to seeing the progress to another TOTM.

Jimmy
Old 08/18/2006, 11:50 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by jjjimmy
JBNY, the biggest problem that I can see with the corner overflow is that it would really distract from the viewing on that side where a center overflow would give you better 3 sided viewing. You could always put some screen over the top of the overflow to keep fish out.

If you look at the picture from the last page you will see that the tank will sit between two shelving units. They come out about 12" from the wall, so having the overflow about 9" out into the tank shouldn't really be noticeable from the side. (I'm hoping )

I am curious why you are considering using powerheads and/or streams when you are starting from scratch with a new tank. I for one when looking at a tank want to see the beauty of the livestock and not the mechanics (i.e. powerheads) keeping it running. Why not just go with a closed loop right from the beginning, that way all of the equipment will be incognito (sp?).

Well for flow. I can get more flow for less wattage using streams rather than a closed loop. Also with the closed loop, I am stuck with were the returns are. In my last tank, I had to move powerheads more than a few times to make corrections in the flow because of coral growth. Also, in the old tank, the sea swirl on my left side of the tank had a millepora grow right next to it, completely cutting off the flow to everything on the right side of the tank. So by just not putting a closed loop in I am trying to leave myself the flexibility of being able to move my sources of flow to different areas of the tank when the time comes.

The pic below is the situation I am writing about. The Green millepora started off as a 1" frag that was about 8" below the surface. Eventually it grew to fill the space you see plus about 3-4" more. When I took out the coral the main section it was growing from was almost 4" thick!! That coral had been fraged many times, in more than a few cases I fraged pretty big sections of 6" or more.

Here is the same section less than a year later. You can not even see the sea swirl anymore as the corals have grown right around it. I ended up putting a small powerhead in the back to get more flow to some of the other corals that were starting to recede do to lack of flow at this point.

So my thoughts are that if I go with a configuration that hides all my plumbing I will have to rip it out later due to growth.

Also, I just re-plumbed some of my 180 and decided to go with the Sequence Manta Ray pump. It is an absolutely kick butt pump and runs everything that I have with pressure to spare. Just a thought.

I've had a Sequence 6000 for the last 4 years. Over 3000GPH at 20' HP it's a great pump. I use it to run my return as well as my skimmer and chiller. You'll be happy with that pump for a long time.
Old 08/18/2006, 12:43 PM
Got frags??

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog

Pierce, a new tank?? How does Cindy put up with it!
I am hiding it in the basement.
Old 08/18/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

i wish i had done an external overflow box. it would be so easy to keep teh back glass clean if i could just hit it with a razor and not have to worry about the acrylic on the overflow box.
Old 08/18/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Joe,

Good luck with the new tank and I look forward to watching your progress!
Old 08/19/2006, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Hey Joe,

You have been an inspiration to alot of us. I'll be tagging along to continue to learn from you and all the other brilliant mad scientists out there.

Muhhahahahha!
Old 08/19/2006, 08:04 AM
Reef Addict

Joe i say go with the corner overflow, like u said u are not really going to see it do 2 the shelf on the side, & i know u will have plenty of water movement in there, i put a corner overflow on my 125 (6 feet long) & water flows great, u have to work with the room u have, cant wait to see the tank go up.
Old 08/19/2006, 11:59 AM
Coral Killer

I have a 280 72"x36"x25" with end overflows, mine are huge but I was able to blend them in well. I can post pics if you would like to see. The end overflows do really hamstring the wavebox to a very great extent, I'd say almost cuts its effectiveness in half.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 08/19/2006, 01:11 PM
On hobby time out!

JB NY:

I knew you'd be back before too long. Too hardcore to just quit altogether. Although I am sure that the no tank time brought some needed rest and lack of preocupation.

Seems to me you are dead set on having an overflow. As others have mentioned, the external overflow is a great option, but one that seems not practical for your particular tank's location. I hate overflow boxes myself, so I would go way out of my way not to have one. Another solution is to have 2 drains on the back walls of the tank, one toward each top corner. They become practically invisible when coated with coralline or painted black. Here is a picture to illustrate them. You can still use an external modified durso to quiet them just like a regular durso pipe. If you make them in 2" bulkheads, you can use a 2"x3" piece of PVC and put it upside down like I did with mine making a sort of funnel. They are completely maintenance free unlike overflow boxes, and are great at skimming the surface despite the looks of them not leading you to believe that.

By the way, about the Tunze waveboxes. I very very highly suggest you see some tanks with these on working properly before spending the money on them. I was kind of suspect of their advertised ability. I saw a couple working on some tanks and was sorely disappointed by their poor performance. I guess they were far from what I expected of them.

Last edited by dgasmd; 08/19/2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08/19/2006, 09:34 PM
AEFW Survivor

Awesome, saw that you are posting an upgrade and was really happy to see you back for the SPS attack!!

So after reading through the above posts here is my 2 cents. I would highly consider dgasmd's advice. I have a 400 gallon with three monster overflows splitting the tank into 3 sections. I would love to tear the things out, but I can't drain the tank.

If I could change anything, I would have an external overflow or even an internal "Calfo Style" overflow across the back of the tank. IMO this will prevent problems with flow dynamics as well as limitations for aquascaping.

As for the CL. I have a CL and I hate the thing. I have been running both Tunze streams in addition to the CL (Dart) from day one. I don't like the laminar flow that is generated by the CL and the flexibilty of a 6200 is incredible.

I have a Tunze wave box. I need an extension. I have seen 4 different tanks and IMHO, the amount of wave generation is very impressive. All of the tanks are much smaller than mine BTW. Currently one wavebox in my tank generates a very small shift in the water. Not happy with it in MY tank.

Looking forward to seeing you progress with your project!
Old 08/20/2006, 09:00 AM
possum chauffeur

I may have missed this information, but who is building the tank?
Old 08/20/2006, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

JBNY, I started up my 225g the first of June, 72x30x24. It has only one overflow in the back also. Once the rockwork was in, you really don't notice it much other than the lost space. Mine has a 2" overflow to the sequence dart and a 1 1/2 " return to the tank. I also have a closed loop on the back with 8 spa eyeball outlets returning the water back to the tank. I figure once my coral grows large enough I may have to add additional flow, but it is sure nice looking at a tank and not seeing any cords comeing out of it.
Good luck with your new tank , I'm sure it will be as spectacular as your last one. Here are a couple of pictures to show what mine is like.

Old 08/20/2006, 03:37 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

How hard was the decision to use the return pump for the skimmer also? I mean, you will not be feeding water straight from the overflow. How big of a compromise do feel it is?

Keep up the good work!

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 08/20/2006, 04:22 PM
Moved out

This should be interesting...
Old 08/23/2006, 08:18 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Sorry for the late reply guys. I'm on semi-vacation and only have limted internet access.

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
I have a 280 72"x36"x25" with end overflows, mine are huge but I was able to blend them in well. I can post pics if you would like to see. The end overflows do really hamstring the wavebox to a very great extent, I'd say almost cuts its effectiveness in half.
Sure, please post a pic or two.

bradleyj Thanks for those pics.

JazzMan I am thinking of using Miracles Aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
JB NY:

I knew you'd be back before too long. Too hardcore to just quit altogether. Although I am sure that the no tank time brought some needed rest and lack of preocupation.

Seems to me you are dead set on having an overflow. As others have mentioned, the external overflow is a great option, but one that seems not practical for your particular tank's location. I hate overflow boxes myself, so I would go way out of my way not to have one. Another solution is to have 2 drains on the back walls of the tank, one toward each top corner. They become practically invisible when coated with coralline or painted black. Here is a picture to illustrate them. You can still use an external modified durso to quiet them just like a regular durso pipe. If you make them in 2" bulkheads, you can use a 2"x3" piece of PVC and put it upside down like I did with mine making a sort of funnel. They are completely maintenance free unlike overflow boxes, and are great at skimming the surface despite the looks of them not leading you to believe that.

By the way, about the Tunze waveboxes. I very very highly suggest you see some tanks with these on working properly before spending the money on them. I was kind of suspect of their advertised ability. I saw a couple working on some tanks and was sorely disappointed by their poor performance. I guess they were far from what I expected of them.
It was nice having the summer off with no tank to worry about!

I've played around with the idea of an overflow like you show. But having the tank viable on three side makes it a little more difficult IMO. I just couldn't come up with an internal pipe configuration that U was happy with. I'll definitely check out the wavebox in person before doing anything.

I think I am just going to go with the overflow that I was originally planning it seems to work fine with my setup. Enough people seem to have a similar setup with no problems.
Old 08/23/2006, 08:20 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
How hard was the decision to use the return pump for the skimmer also? I mean, you will not be feeding water straight from the overflow. How big of a compromise do feel it is?

Keep up the good work!
I've been doing it for almost three years with my old tank. I never felt that I lost anything by tee'ing off the return pump for the skimmer.
Old 08/23/2006, 08:33 PM
Coral Killer

Heres a shot of the full tank with the background unpainted

left side painted and covered.

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 08/23/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Wow alot of pictures going on but none from Joe. I can't wait to see some pictures Joe you got to get moving on this
Old 08/24/2006, 06:35 AM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
Wow alot of pictures going on but none from Joe. I can't wait to see some pictures Joe you got to get moving on this
See thats why I asked, never want to hijack a build thread

That being said something is missing..........
Old 08/24/2006, 09:55 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Sorry guys no pictures right now. First I need to get the tank design done and order it. Hopefully I will do that in about a week. My main problem is I have my garage filled up with a bedroom set my sister-in-law is supposed to pickup. All my tools are in the garage so I can not start on the stand until the furniture is out. So I'm sort of stuck waiting for about a week or so.
Old 08/24/2006, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Joe are you going to used the same skimmer in the new tank?