Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Damsels

I am goin to set up my 100g as a FOWLR, full of small fishes (Firefish, Clowns, Lemon Peel Angel). Could I put a few Damsels in there? Or would they terrorize the other fish?

Also, do Damsels like Anemones, like Clowns do?

--Dan
Old 05/16/2005, 05:48 PM
Moved In

Well IMO Damsels are evil, there are tons of other fish to choose from.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 05/16/2005, 05:49 PM
FishBoi

Don't more than one centropyge angel in there for starters. same with the firefish (Go for a helfrich's firefish). Damsels are the devils of the fish world. my 2 cents worth.

perky
Old 05/16/2005, 05:58 PM
Team RC Member

Yes. Damsels are evil. Mine about killed my clown.
Old 05/16/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Dont use Damsels unless you "KNOW" you can get them out. Some of them are very aggressive. I would just add the fish that I wanted. Try to start with the least aggressive first and work toward the more aggressive later. Adding the most aggressive last. This will give the more dossel fish a chance to stake out a peice of the tank.
Old 05/16/2005, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

I've kept a yellowtail damsel in a 10 gallon with a Sebae clown about the same size for two years. According to the info sites that sell them, Yellowtails are not as aggressive. My experience provides atleast some confirmation of that. The yellowtail occasionally made a half hearted lunge at the clown, but that was it. I think yellowtails are beautiful fish that add a lot of color and activity to an aquarium.
Old 05/16/2005, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by perky
Don't more than one centropyge angel in there for starters. same with the firefish (Go for a helfrich's firefish). Damsels are the devils of the fish world. my 2 cents worth.

perky
Whats a cyntropyge?

And I thought Firefish were great in pairs?

I think I am goin to get a nice school of Chromis!

--Dan
Old 05/16/2005, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

I have a blue damsel and a pair of three stripes, and they haven't caused much problem thus far. The three stripes have basically laid claim to one particular area and don't bother anything else, the blue though roves the whole place and is the jerk of the tank. The only real issue I've had with him was when I put in a fridmani pseudochromis. He chased him around for an hour or so, but gave up when the pseudo finally laid claim to a little cave area and actually stood up for himself. Now they don't mess with each other at all. I also have a flasher wrasse, and a couple of dragonettes which he doesn't bother with at all. I think the key is to just make sure anything you put in with damsels is bigger and willing to stick up for itself.

D
Old 05/16/2005, 07:01 PM
FishBoi

centropyge is the name for dwarf angels. if you want to go for 2 firefish go for 2 helfrich's.

perky
Old 05/16/2005, 07:04 PM
30 year and over club

Damsels can be a pain especially if they are in breeding condition. They build a nest and chase the hell out of everything. Green chromis are peaceful.
Paul
Old 05/16/2005, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by perky
centropyge is the name for dwarf angels. if you want to go for 2 firefish go for 2 helfrich's.

perky
If only I had the wallet for that...

Im goin to keep a Flame Angel, a Lemon Peel and a Coral Beauty. Ive heard people go both with ways on this stocking list, so Im sticking with it!

--Dan
Old 05/17/2005, 12:34 AM
FishBoi

You are going to have lots of problems with those three in the same tank. The lemon peel is the least hardiest of those three IMO. Chances are he will be the first to get picked on. Then the flame will be the next to go and you will be left with just the coral beauty.

my 2 cents worth.

perky
Old 05/17/2005, 01:39 PM
I May be Ich Free

so far my yellowtails seem very peaceful.. i just removed 3 lemon damsels..labeled as "less aggressive". they were just relentless on each other and when it was down to 1 would just bother the yellowtails too much.
Old 05/17/2005, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Although it is said that you shouldn't, you can get away with keeping more than one dwarf angel in a tank - I had a coral beauty and flame together without any problem. Having said that, I would think very carefully about having three together! I also have a yellow tail damsel in there as well and he does not seem to bother any of the other fish.
Old 05/17/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I have a blue velvet damsel in my tank and he gets the heck chased out of him by my maroon clown and my coral beauty. he is the runt of the tank
Old 05/17/2005, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

I have a Domino Damsel in my 180 gallon tank. I bought him years ago to cycle a 55 gallon tank that I had set up and he grew on me so he is in the main tank now.
He is very aggressive and I do not think that I would particularly recommend him for others.
I also have a clown and an anemone and when I had them in the smaller tank the domino was in there all of the time. Now that he has so much room he rarely goes near it.