Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 11/25/2007, 02:59 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

Well, I've been planning this for several years and it's finally in the works. I'm determined to do this without a chiller so I went with the new Solaris 400w I Series Light. Here's some pics from the start up to what we have finished today:

The room that we modified for the new tank:

Former Front of house:

Front of house in progress:

Almost done outside:

Now it just needs some paint!

Old 11/25/2007, 03:00 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Inside framing: The light is going and spots are being put in:

Inside...lots to still be done but I love the window!!

Last edited by Me No Nemo; 11/25/2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 03:04 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

As you can tell, I'm really anxious to get that other tank out of the living room!

This one weighs close to 50 lbs.

Last edited by Me No Nemo; 11/25/2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 03:13 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

A few pics with the rock done and the lights up! The lighting is in full blue moonlight in these pics.

Old 11/25/2007, 03:15 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

The Aquamedic doser and Aquacontroller 3 will be on tomorrow. The front of the cabinet, canopy and side cabinets are being made so when it's all finished it will look like a built in.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

very cool set up, interested to see how you like the Solaris, great job on the room
Old 11/25/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

great detail
Old 11/25/2007, 01:04 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Thanks We already have a Solaris running on a Zero Edge tank and I love the colors it brings out in the corals. That ones only a G series 250 and has been running for about 8 months. Even SPS do well coloring up and staying healthy, but the growth hasn't been the best. This I series light is unbelievably bright, to the point that I think I'll have to tone down the lighting when I first place the corals and gradually bring it back up. I'm really impressed with the preset lighting cycles: sunrise, full light, sunset, moonrise and moonset. The night time blues make a beautiful display. So far, I'm very happy with the new lights.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

is this tank from oceanic?
i didn't know that they make that big of the tank? can i ask where did you get the tank from?? and how do you order it?/
thanks
what dimention is this??
Old 11/25/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

is this starphire tech tank? from oceanic?
Old 11/25/2007, 02:43 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Well, this is the Oceanic 215 Ultimate Aquarium (the largest Tech tank they make is a 120). The Ultimate has starphire front, beveled edges and the black silicone. The dimensions are 72x24x30. There are some differences in the overflows and top tank bracing, but aside from that it's close to the Tech tank in looks. Beautiful tank! I'd check locally with your LFS...any of them that sell All Glass should have access to the Oceanic line as well since they are now sold under the same company.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

what is the blue material the sump is sitting on, marked UL ?
Old 11/25/2007, 08:06 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

The blue material is an insulation foam.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:21 PM
I'll be here all week

Looking great Marcye!

It looks like you have Tom hard at work. I agree with you on not wanting the chiller. I am running two MH, T5's and VHO's about 5" above the waters surface and have been able to avoid a chiller on my 110 just using fans & keeping temps at 79, so you should be more than ok with just some fans.

Keep us updated to the progress!
Old 11/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Hi Cham, thanks! The temp right now in the tank with everything running is 77.5, so I think I'm going to be fine without a chiller. Yep, Tom's been hard at work for several months on this...want it all in place by the holidays!
Old 11/25/2007, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Nice,

Tagging along!
Old 11/25/2007, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

I love the first part of the thread. I can almost read your mind... ("first thing to do is get rid of these annoying windows so I can put a tank here without the house looking like a pet store!"). Or maybe you just didn't want direct sun heating your tank and causing algae to grow.

Anyway...

Great looking setup and kudos to be one of the LED pioneers.

R
Old 11/25/2007, 11:14 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Yeah, or it could have been "Gee, let's get rid of this 1960's look!" I have enough of the "pet store" look at work everyday, so it's definitely nice that those windows are gone.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

so oceanic tank ,,,i have to order it from lfs?? would it be better price if i just order straight from oceanic?
so the tank you have ,,with euro brace or center braces?
do they do custom size tank?? nice process anyway,,thanks,,,
Old 11/26/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

nice start, can't wait to see more pictures.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:45 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Oceanic, I believe, just wholesales through LFS. They don't do custom sizes, but Perfecto does. This tank has a glass center brace.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Oceanic will custom size a tank if you have the money. They are very expensive but they do an excellent job. Most people on a budget will take a chance on glass cages. I went to my local fish store and asked how much a standard 300 gallon tank would be from oceanic. She called the rep. and said it would be $6,000. That did not include the stand. The 215 gallon is a standard size and is a little on the high side but is no where near a custom tank. I can get a all glass 210, reef ready with stand and plumbing for $1,300 around here. Your tank is very nice. How do you clean the tank being it is 30 inches high. Do you use magnets?
Old 11/26/2007, 10:20 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Thanks all for the kind words. Well, hopefully we'll have the old tank out this weekend. Using fully cured rock, it seems that we won't have much of a cycle as all the numbers have stayed at 0, even with some mysis added. I added some bags of pods in the final week of the rocks curing and we can see them running around the tank, so I'm going to add some inverts tonight and monitor them for a couple days. The first move will have to be the carpet anemone so it settles before I start adding anything else as it pretty big and I don't want it traveling around when I have corals and fish in. I've had it for several years and it's stayed in the same spot, so hopefully we'll have the same luck with it in here. It's hard to get the true colors on these lights with the camera. I'll have to play some more with the white balance as none of the pics I've taken so far really represent the colors in person.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:51 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Thanks Well, we'll use magnets for everyday cleaning and a long scraper to keep the coralline algae off the glass on the sides and back.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

[i can't get the glass case tank to ship up here,,,even the map show minneapolis minnesota is avaiable ,,
they said not too many people order from northcentral so the closses arrea is chicago ,,7hrs away,,so no way that i can get the tank that far,,,very wiere,,,also i heard they don't build good quality tank,,but i guess you get what you paid for,,so
can i ask the owner of this thread how much did you pay for the tank??
i am looking for the same size ,thanks
QUOTE]Originally posted by fish cowboy
Oceanic will custom size a tank if you have the money. They are very expensive but they do an excellent job. Most people on a budget will take a chance on glass cages. I went to my local fish store and asked how much a standard 300 gallon tank would be from oceanic. She called the rep. and said it would be $6,000. That did not include the stand. The 215 gallon is a standard size and is a little on the high side but is no where near a custom tank. I can get a all glass 210, reef ready with stand and plumbing for $1,300 around here. Your tank is very nice. How do you clean the tank being it is 30 inches high. Do you use magnets? [/QUOTE]