Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

What makes a Lunare Wrasse not reef safe?

the local fish store got one of these fish in and it is beautiful. its the first time i've seen one in person. anyway, it says on some sites that it isnt reef safe....but says it does not touch corals. so what makes it not reef safe? just the fact that they get aggressive?

i'm also wondering if they can be kept in an aggressive reef with a maroon clown pair, dwarf lion (or two) and a snowflake eel?

thanks,
Dan
Old 05/15/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I've never kept one but I bet they're described as not reef safe because they'll eat shrimps and crabs.
Old 05/15/2005, 10:42 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Large Lunare Wrasses will eat smaller fishes as well as shrimp, crabs etc. I've seen them attack clams, too.
Old 05/16/2005, 06:44 AM
Professional Aquarist

Plus, a lot of these will flip over rocks (which maybe attached to or land on your corals) looking for worms, shrimp, and other things to eat.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 05/16/2005, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Ive seen them nip at corals as well. They are generally trouble makers always looking for something to move/eat/annoy.

I love the way they swim though. They sort of bounce around the tank.
Old 05/16/2005, 03:45 PM
Bu Saif...

I have one that is dominated by a hawk fish. He act norml, but he ate all my fireshrimps. Once I removed the Hawk, he dominated all the tank. And yes, he ate some small fish as well. Otherwise, he can be kept in aggressive tank.
Old 05/16/2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

One of the first fish I bought. That guy was the terror of my tank. I originally started out with a fish only tank and had a lion fish and the wrasse. Those guys had no problems being together. After I lost the lion I got a true perc and man that guy got thrashed by the wrasse. Not to mention the other damsels that I originally had. Besides that it is a great personable fish. Very colorful and very active. It will take food from your hand and mine liked to sleep in its rock at night.
Old 05/16/2005, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

ok....i'm getting the feeling they really are better suited for a FO tank with other aggressive fish. thanks for the input.
Old 05/17/2005, 02:44 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

I have a red coris that has decimated my cleanup crew and although he hasn't gone after any fish it may just be a matter of time as he gives my little male true perc the evil eye every time he swims by.
Old 05/18/2005, 10:47 AM
It tastes like burning

Yes, the Lunar Wrasse is best in a FO tank. They are very curious/mischiveous fish. I too tried a Lunar when I was first getting started. He ate my shrimp. He would also eat feeder fish that I intended for my Volitan. The Lunar found his way back to the lfs when he broke several fins off my Volitan.

The Lunar is a great looking fish. They are active swimmers and have lots of personality, but they do have some negative concerns.
Old 05/18/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

yeah, they seem like really cool fish. they are pretty and i love the way they swim. now i'm wondering if you can put one in a tank with a Banana Wrasse...?? i get the feeling that is trouble though...and you'd need a big tank. what do you think?
Old 05/18/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I made the mistake of getting a lunar, he was fine with all of my fish but he used to eat my small blue leg hermits and he killed a cleaner and a peppermint shrimp. I traded him to my LFS for some frags.