Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/17/2005, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Wrasse ID...warning: fish in pictures is dead, fyi before looking

I went to my LFS today and saw that 3 BEAUTIFUL wrasses came in. However while still acclimating, one died, and one doesnt look too hot, and one might make it, might not. However, he has the chance to get in more, and the two he has might make it, and I'd like to have a group of these guys as the last addition to my reef. They're just what I was looking for - I think. I spent 2 hours going through their wrasse books and fish identification books, and though some were close, not one picture was of the wrasses. The guy at the LFS let me take the dead one home in hopes that you guys could help me find out what the wrasse is. Any info is welcomed. What species, max size, genus - any way I can narrow my search really. Info below -

Pics:

The dorsal fin has 18 rays. The SL is 1.5", with tail it's 1.85". He was more blue before he died though. The tail half of it was the same color as the head half, not all black, and the black was actually for the most part a deep marine blue.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05/17/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

It looks like a kind of fairy wrasse to me. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 05/17/2005, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

It seems a bit too thin to be a fairy, and I looked thoroughly through Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses & Their Relatives by Rudie H Kuiter 3 times, and didnt see it. They had tons of fairy pics , but this guy wasnt there.
Old 05/17/2005, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Found it! It's the juvie coloration of Labropsis xanthonata. Anyone know how big it grows to be? Any info? I've tried google, but I only get the same 2 pictures, one for juvie color, one for adult.. and that's it. I like the adult, but I need info on it. The other wrasses that are closely related all get about 10cm, so could I expect the same from this one?

Last edited by LukFox; 05/17/2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05/18/2005, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Nevermind.. according to fishbase, adults eat coral polyps .