Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09/16/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

280gal Build! Finally starting!

Well im finally starting my 280gal build! I finally got my own house so now i can put tanks whereever i please without someone *****ing lol. It will be a long process but its going to be fun!

Here is what im planning.

Fish room:
The fish room is about 10'x8' and is located on the other side of the tank. The tank will be placed in my bedroom next to my bed. It will be viewable from the front and one end.

Tank:
72" long by 36"wide by 25" tall all glass with external overflows and the clear glass on the front and one end.. Haven't decided on a builder yet. Any suggestions?

Lighting:
Either 3 250w or 3 400w MH in luminarc reflectors and two 72" actinic's. OR the LED set up. Any suggestions??

Skimmer:
I have an RC-1000 waiting to be used. Its overkill but its soo coool.

Sump:
I had some old pond liner laying around so i built a sump that is about 77"long by 36" wide by 24" tall. Should be big enough to hold everything. I made it so huge because i wanted to try and keep everything in it or over it so all leaks would go back into the system and not on the floor.

Refugium:
I'm going to use my old 75gal as my ref.

Circulation:
Either one dart powering an OM 8way and a tunze wave box and 2 tunze 6200 streams or Two Darts on two 8 way OM's. Any suggestions??

Here is some progress so far.

Ripped out the carpet. Luckly my house is a slab so i won't have any issues there. Also removed all the outlets because they were below the water level of my sump and i didn't want to take the chance of water splashing in them and it turns out half the house is on the same breaker. I'm going to have my friend (hes an electrition) run 4 lines to the fish room and build some water proof boxes to house all the outlets.

Removed the wall separating the closet from the room to give me a little more room.

Started Building the Sump.

Painted the room and installed rubber baseboard and chalked around the whole edge to try and seal the room so if there is a flood it sorta stays in that room. Finished the sump also.

Got my skimmer in place

Got my RO/DI unit all set up

Click the Little Red house for my New Tank Build!