Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2005, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

sounds grim. Are the water paremeters OK? Is it in your sps system or the lps system?

Hope your regal pulls thru...
Old 06/05/2005, 08:51 PM
I'm a dork fish!!!

We lost him. Sucks! What is the best medicine for a bacterial infection?

Dennis+Andrea
Old 06/05/2005, 08:55 PM
I'm a dork fish!!!

Yep, tested everything before adding him. I even brought some water to the fish store. Everything tested fine 0 nitrates, 8.3 ph, etc. Our tank is primarily sps. I really didn't understand it.

Dennis+Andrea
Old 06/05/2005, 09:08 PM
Fish Addict

It's not your tank. They show up harboring the infections and stress allows it to overwhelm them.
Old 06/05/2005, 09:12 PM
I'm a dork fish!!!

I am a little scared to try another one.

Dennis+Andrea
Old 06/05/2005, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Fishgeeks

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I agree with moonpod that your fish probably wasnt in best shape to begin with. In retrospect it may have been better if you kept it at the lfs for couple of weeks until it ate well and acclimated to captivity...(it probably would of died in your lfs from what you are describing)
Old 06/06/2005, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Fishgeek,

Although I don't believe this would have help in your situation, I have had good luck with using Maracyn-II. It is used for broad bacterial coverage.

Obviously, this is to be used in a QT tank for a minimum of 5 days, longer for more severe symptoms.

Kirk
Old 06/06/2005, 12:45 PM
Crazy Aquarist

Fishgeek,

I agree that you probably didn't do anything wrong and that it was probably doomed from the start. If you decide to get another Regal Angel I would do the following. This is what factors I look for in my Regal.

1. Get the Red Sea Regal Angel
2. Look at the overall look of the animal (bright color, fat, Alert and aware)
3. Make sure it is eatting good and alert about its surrounding.
4. MAKE SURE ITS EATTING. (sorry I think this is a very important factor and to not be "yelling" with the CAPS. Its was a very important factor for the Regal I would try with.)

Its would be very cool if you found a Regal that wasn't as shy as most regal are but I lucked out on mine. It was alert and aware if where it was at the LFS.

I don't know if any experience this or not but by alert and aware I mean the other day I dropped a cube of Marine Angel (with sponge) My regel notice that I drop in food but didn't see where it went. I pointed to the cube that was behind a rock (out of its view) and the regal went there.

Believe in what you know and stand by it.
Old 06/06/2005, 01:03 PM
I'm a dork fish!!!

Thanks for the info. I will definitely take the advice.

Dennis+Andrea
Old 06/07/2005, 02:45 AM
Crazy Aquarist

Fishgeek,

I would also like to say sorry for the lost. Even tho Ive only had my Regal for about 2 weeks now and I don't mean to say it like I'm being an expert and 2 weeks is by no means an expert. I also way many regal that I refuse to take up as I will not "save" any animal from a poor and careless LFS. I free this only support that certain shop with your own hard earned money. I do hope you decide to pick up a regal if you decide to. If you order one from your LFS make an agreement with that they would have to keep it for 2 or 3 weeks. If you have to pay in full then do it but only if they agree its their duty to take care of it for the length in time you agree with them. I would also visit that LFS and feed it as often as you can so that you can see that it does feed often and not feed for a few day so that when you came in it would eat.

Let me share my process at the different lfs in regal. Price is not and should be the factor unless its very overpriced
1st LFS.
They had the grey/blue chest not bright color (this color maybe normal from the loc it was collected from) body shape was ok but a bit on the thinner side. It did eat live brine shrimp very common diet with this lfs but it wasn't attacking the food. I also asked when they got it was just a few days ago.
Cost $49
2nd LFS
They have the RS Regal. They feed them pellet, live brine, and some other stuff. I know that they use copper in their fish tanks maybe common with all the LFS I go too. Their price is the highest I think it was and some of their stuff is way over priced some stuff its 150% to 200% or more then other good LFS. The copper I really heard bad thing so I decided no to even try and I also say many other sick fish that share the same water. They always have a few dead fish when I come in but they carry a LOT of live stock so this might be avg. to other shop.
3rd. Red Sea Regal. This is where I got mine and here is why. I went there to look around and saw that they had one. Im going to use the term "her/she" if check spike being short is female. Talked to the worker and asked if they would feed her (2 days before I picked her up). Then come in again and asked if they would feed it again that weekend when I pick her up. Both times that I was there I saw her eat and she ate the biggest piece of food so I know she ate good at less 2 times in 3 days. She was alert where she was and she would inspect and watch me when was near the tank. She looked like she wasn't stressed. She is fat, bright colored, good eater, alert and aware (a little shy but interested in the side of the glass). I also checked out all the other fish in the store and overall they looked very good. All the fish had "decent" tank 20-30gal for most of their 2 to 5 inch with only about maybe 5 fish per tank which I liked also vs. fish that was 2 inches fish in holding rack that was maybe 5x5x5 inches cube (2 or 3 fish per cube) at other shop sometimes used. So the shop truely care about their again and most of their stock. Price ($100 for a 4inch RS regal)was at the top of the going market but not overpriced, I feel this was at a great discount because they way they take care of they livestock and not overload their tank. They could have increase their livestock maybe 2 times what they have but why when you only want to sell the best.

I only went to 3 that I already know had the best livestock in my area.

Old 06/07/2005, 08:42 AM
I'm a dork fish!!!

Nice perspective! Thank you,

The lfs is replacing the one that I lost. He has also suggested that he would quarantine the new one for at least 2-3 weeks. I am also ordering a palani tang. He want's to quarantine them together and to make sure that they both are healthy and eating before we move them. Sounds like we are on the right track.

Dennis+Andrea
Old 06/07/2005, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

IMO Aggressive eaters are the only ones that should be purchased. Regardless of the species of fish, but especially in regals, this is the number one indicator of good health and adaptability. I have kept two regals now. The first one ate like a pig in the fish store and lived until the day my entire tank crashed due to a mechanical failure. The second sort of picked at the food. I watched it for several weeks. It developed a relatively more healthy appetite over time. It still was not a good feeder. I thought it was improving and would only get better in my tank. I took it home. It continued to improve for several weeks until it suddenly stopped eating completely. Unfortunately, I was forced to watch it slowly starve to death over the course of the next several weeks.
Old 06/07/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

So, should a RA only be purchased from a LFS?

Has anyone had any luck at all with getting a healthy RA from a online vendor (ie, LA, TMC, VividAquariums, etc...).

Just curious.

Thanks
Kirk
Old 06/07/2005, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I would only buy one from a lfs, although theonline vendor, the marine center, seems to have the best reputation for fish. They are expensive.
Old 06/07/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

The MarineCenter claims to QT their fish for 2 wks AND guarantee that their fish is eating when it is shipped. I don't know if it is worth the $39 shipping charge to buy a fish (esp. a RA) from TMC or not.
Old 06/07/2005, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

The proof is in the pudding. A guarantee that it was eating when it was shipped doesn't count for much if theres no guarantee it will eat for you.
Old 06/07/2005, 02:25 PM
Moved On

I know I know, this isn't a fs thread.. but I want to find a proper home for my guy and this thread will generate more intrest from the correct people so mods if you don't mind, don't freak out I need to find a new GOOD home for my Juivnelle Regal Angle, i've had him for 4 months, he is a GREAT eater, Spectrum, flake, Mysis, Angel Food, Red Algie, cycops, ect... BUT HE IS NOT SAFE WITH ANY CORALS!!! SPS, LPS, SOFITES. Doesn't matter HE WILL EAT THEM ALL. So if you have a large non-agressive FOWLR tank, and are looking for a VERY healthy beutifull and personable (he eats out of my hand) small regal (he's false eye is just now starting to fade a bit) please contant me.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:31 PM
Fish Addict

ever come down to the L.A. area brahm?
Old 06/07/2005, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

brahm: I can give him/her a very good home if you can ship.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:39 PM
Crazy Aquarist

dvmsn,

I would have to say that I agree with you a lot. Only reason why I said Red Sea was that the grey/blue chest loc. are not hand net every time and their practice needs too improve. hehehe their are some loc. people there that is probably improving but we should try to really go with places that collect coral and fish with the less stress and damage to the reef. Of course that doesn't mean that everyone from the Yellow (Red Sea) does the best thing to collect coral or fish hehehe there is probably shady people that are only interested in the pocket book.

Old 06/09/2005, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys, i just wanted to check in and see how everyones regals are doing?
Old 06/09/2005, 08:42 AM
Fish Addict

considering atkins for mine.
Old 06/09/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
considering atkins for mine.
lmao, i take it yours is eating well
Old 06/09/2005, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Mine is eating well. Less shy. Still well behaved leaving sps and clams and red goni alone...so far.
Old 06/09/2005, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Good to hear, mine is doing really well. Follows me around the tank. Hasnt bothered anything until one of the other fish took a nip at a clam, the regal decided to help out and finish it off