Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

protein skimmer?

I just purchased a 24g nanocube and I wondering if a protein skimmer is a must have. If so what brand do you recomend?
Old 12/30/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

there deffinatley NOT a must have IMO. i have had a 30 a 40 and now a 10g tank. neverused a protien skimmer and never had any issues. just make sure that u do weekly water changes and dont overstock/feed
Old 12/30/2007, 03:07 PM
Keeper of Sharks

I agree. On my 10g, I have a Prizm Skimmer. But definitely not a must have as long as you keep up on your weekly water changes.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 12/30/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I have the saphire skimmer for the 12g NC and its great! it also fits the 24g nano. You def don't need it but it is nice to have. Plus it sits nicely in chamber 1.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

I was just going to start a thread about this. I just added an AquaC remora on a 20H and It's the best my tank has looked in years. Things are growing better than ever, however the algea is not growning anymore.

You Ccccaaaannnn get by without, if it would cause it to be an eyesore. However, I really feel it's necessary to have a thriving system. I tried to get by with just water changes and things survived, but now things are thriving. I see daily changes.

Good luck.

Aaron
Old 12/31/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for responding guys! I think I will go without for now, thanks to an extremely tight budget.