Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Looking for ideas...

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for about a month now in my attempt to learn as much about keeping a reef tank as possible - having only kept freshwater fish for about 15 years - up until about 10 years ago.

Right off the bat I have about $600 to spend on a setup and was wondering if I can get something up and running soon with the intention of adding equipment as I can afford it?

The shopping list I have so far is:

Tank (55 Gallon drilled with DIY overflow), Stand (DIY with 2x4's), Canopy (DIY), Hood, Plumbing, Protein skimmer with pump, Sump (25 gallon DIY with return pump), 4? x T5 bulbs (plus ballast, wire, endcaps, mounts, reflectors), Live rock, Live sand, Powerhead, Salt, Timer, Heaters, GFCI extension, RO/DI unit with TDS meter, PH meter, Test kits, Algae scrapper, Canister filter, Thermometer.

Does this cover everything I will need eventually to be successful? Should I be looking at a smaller tank considering I am on a budget anyway? Also, can I buy some of this just now to get started and add as I can month to month or do I wait until I have it all?

I appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!

Steven
Old 12/29/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Best advice - buy used whenever you can - helps everyone out and you get to meet new people and see their setups.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Pm sent on tank stand and canopy
Old 12/29/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Looking at your shopping list the one thing I would consider different is the tank. I would go with a 75 or 90 gallon. Both have the same footprint with the 90 being taller. The standard 55 tank is only 12" deep front to back which really limits you with aquascaping then becomes a maintainance problem, keeping the glass clean. I started this way and learned that lesson. The 75/90 is 18" deep front/back thus giving you more room for aquascaping and maintainance. Plus the additional water volume doesn't hurt.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefdiver72
Pm sent on tank stand and canopy
Thanks! Reply sent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bowman
Looking at your shopping list the one thing I would consider different is the tank. I would go with a 75 or 90 gallon. Both have the same footprint with the 90 being taller. The standard 55 tank is only 12" deep front to back which really limits you with aquascaping then becomes a maintainance problem, keeping the glass clean. I started this way and learned that lesson. The 75/90 is 18" deep front/back thus giving you more room for aquascaping and maintainance. Plus the additional water volume doesn't hurt.
Believe me - if I could swing it I would be getting a bigger tank, but along with that comes more live rock, live sand, powerheads, water, etc. and therefore money. In fact, much as I hate to consider it, I may even have to go smaller than a 55 gallon to avoid selling a kidney to pay for it
Old 12/29/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

I'm sure this isn't what you'd like to hear, but having had a 30-gallon saltwater tank years ago, I swore to myself that the next time I kept a saltwater tank it would be as big as it could be. That was a fish only tank, and I still found it very difficult to maintain. Everything would be going along fine, and then every once in awhile, something would happen and my fish would all be dead within hours.

As you may already know since you've been reading about this for awhile, the more water volume, the less of a chance for something to go wrong. Tiny changes in a small tank mean big ammonia spikes, ph and temperature shifts, etc. The more water volume, the more stable the system, and therefore the best chance for success. I would highly recommend that you wait until you can go at least 75. Although a bigger setup is more expensive, in some ways it could be seen as a better long-term value, because you will have a better chance of keeping your inhabitants alive (and therefore not having to buy more all the time), and hopefully, thriving.

One thing I would recommend is to monitor this forum and the selling forums for good deals on equipment. There are many deals to be found. The only thing I have purchased from an LFS or from an online store is live inhabitants, plus a few small miscellaneous things like heaters, etc. Everything else I've bought used, at huge discounts over new.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Be patient and keep your eyes open for used systems. Every now and then you can get a "deal" because someone is getting out of the hobby and you can buy a pretty good system for $600.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:05 PM
Moved On

we are selling a 90 gallon with tank, stand, and sump.AGA tank less than a year old. megaflow sump which has had cichlids in it the past year. it is not drilled but you could easily get an overflow box. which gives you more tank space
Old 12/29/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

I live in Newark and have a 120 gallon setup.
I also am in the process of redoing some of my setup(s) so have extra equipment and would gladly help you get up and running.

Send me a pm if you would like to come by and look at my setup.

Doug
Old 12/29/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

$600 Budget is going to be tight for sure. I have to believe that is you don't mind taking a bit of time to build this you can get everything you need for a much bigger system than a 55 for close to this budget.

Expensive pieces you should look for used

Tank/Stand/sump
Skimmer
Rock/Sand
Lighting

I would buy the RO/DI new just because if you get it used you are going to need to get all new filters anyway and they will probably be as much as a system anyway.

If you get the tank/stand skimmer, sand, sump, lighting and ro/di unit you can start cycling and add other things later. You are also going to want a good test kit.

You don't need a Canister filter (I have never used one) A good sump with live rock and a fuge will be better than any canister filter any day.

PH monitor and TDS meter can be purchased later and aren't really needed until the cycling is done.

Add rock over time. Keep an eye out for people to be selling thier systems. This is a great time to buy a decent amount of rock for cheap. You may also consider getting lace rock and seeding it with a few pieces of live rock.

Long and short of it, you will never finish the tank for $600, but if you can be patient you can piece it together for that plus live stock.

$??? Live rock you are going to pay for this anywhere from $2/lb to $10/lb depending on where you get it. Good news is you can add more over time. I would keep an eye out for people tearing down systems. This is a great way to get live rock cheap.
Old 12/29/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Sorry - I meant I have $600 to spend right now - but realize I will have to keep spending - FOREVER!!!! lol

Well, $400 of the $600 I thought I had to play with was used by my wife surprising me with a gift certificate for RJ's Aquarium in Hebron. I know that would be better spent on livestock, etc., but she would kill me if I spent too much money elsewhere right now

So - we went there this afternoon and I picked up a 55 gallon tank, protein skimmer, salt, hydrometer, live sand, regular sand, thermometer, heater, glass covers. They said this would be everything that I would need to get it started cycling and to add live rock once I had it started. I am just thinking now though - I think I should have got a powerhead too.

I am measuring right now before I head out to Home Depot to buy some lumber to build a stand. Of course, that means I am still looking for the other stuff - especially lighting strong enough for corals. I think Walmart has cheap tanks to use as a sump.

Also - I think someone e-mailed me from here (Brutus Buckeye?) and I deleted it before I realized what it was - it went straight to my junk mail folder and I just saw the Subject Line as it was deleteing - can you resend? Thanks!
Old 12/29/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Ouch I would hate to see what he charged you.

I sent pictures of the stand and canopy probably cheaper then building one and its nice.

Last edited by Reefdiver72; 12/29/2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:19 PM
GO BUCKS

using base and live rock will save a good amount of money unless you catch sombody breaking down a tank
Old 12/30/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

I know you already purchased the tank, but if you end up re-thinking that, IMO, it would really be a good idea. Like was mentioned before, a 55 is only 12" front to back. A deeper tank doesn't mean more rock, it just gives you the extra area between the rock and the front glass. That extra tank depth will be well used once you get some corals, as they wont look so close to the glass, and also will give some sand area in the front of the tank.

Kind of like a house. Do you want a house real close to the road, or a bit off the road, with a little more front yard? In a reef tank, Real Estate is king. I have a 300 gallon peninsula that is 30" tall, and 24" wide. I would LOVE to have those domensions switched, or at least the same width as height to get that extra 6" of depth.

Just something to think about.

Not much more to add. You got some great advice in the replies above.

BTW, Welcome to CORA.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 12/30/2007, 08:21 PM
T5 Reefer

Yeah a little late now but I think I know someone with a 55g tank/stand/ HOB fuge and Remora Pro skimmer. You could've probably gotten it all for about $250. Then spend your $350 on rock and lighting and you should be ready to go to the C-SEA frag swap in March

Might be worth checking out if he will take any of the stuff you have back for credit on a light system (I have heard that the place you mentioned shopping at is quite expensive though so who knows what lights would cost there.)

Good luck with your new set up. What type of skimmer did they sell you? (crosses fingers you don't say Prizm or Berlin)
Old 12/30/2007, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Actually RJS fish tank prices arent to bad alot of his stuff is reasonable till you get to corals they are priced to high IMO his dry goods arent as bad as some places I have seen. Before I knew better I bought some fish from there and they never lived longer then a few days.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcomes and responses.

I do hear all the comments about the size of the tank, but looking at all of your signatures I can see that this is just my FIRST tank - so I can go bigger next time The skimmer I got is a Coralife Super Skimmer.

I stopped over to see Doug (dgunn) tonight. Man - he is one of the nicest guys you could meet - and his family are really nice too. Although, it looks like I am calling RJ's tomorrow to see if they will take back the tank on a credit so I can buy one of Doug's tanks that is already drilled, etc.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Good meeting you as well... You guys have got to talk with Steven, he has got a thick Scottish accent, great to listen to. An overall nice guy and willing to accept advice, sometimes rare in this hobby.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Zepp. Don't use the 55 for the display. I didn't see a sump mentioned. If not, use the 55 for the sump. As a former 55gal owner, I would never use one for a reef display again. Way too narrow. I actually have a 40 breeder with a wider front to back and am much happier.
I sound like salesman for Phishy lately, but Serdar has some pre-drilled breeder tanks for sale with closed loops that he made up after he drilled mine. I couldn't be happier with my current setup.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I had a 55 and HATED it! I upgraded for the depth. I went with a 90. Believe me at first I was ok with depth when trying to corals it limited a lot of what I could do. Go with a 75. You wont notice a huge jump in price. When I upgraded to my 90 I just used my 55 as a sump.