Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Skimmer Choice

After going through every LFS in a fifty mile radius I've narrowed my choices in a new skimmer down to three choices.

A Kent Marine, either one:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Protein%...ntnautilus.asp

Or a D&D Terminator II. Ridiculous name for a skimmer, but the site gives the impression that it's a moderately insane hobbyist who builds the things in his basement and actually knows what he's doing.

http://www.danddmarine.com/Terminator2.pdf

Cost is the primary issue right now, as I don't have a lot of cash on hand, and my junky old Coral Life broke down. It didn't work well anyway.

This unit will be going in the sump of a 125 glass tank. The sump can hold up to 50 gallons, but doesn't usually get filled above 40 or drop below 15. This is a reef tank, with a large volume of rock and sand. The sump would contain a refugium, but the ballast exploded.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Look at the new octopus extreme line of skimmers, they should rock pretty well.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:13 PM
One Good Friend

I'd agree with the above comment. The extreme's with the sicce pump's. If you cant afford them look at the regular octo200.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I have had bad experience with D&D skimmers, they are finicky to be kept adjusted sometimes. Mine is currently buried under 50' of orange conduit that I hook up to the shop-vac to dry my dog after her baths. I am going to set up a Euro-Reef: see my thread about it http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1274695
Old 12/20/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Not finding any places that sell the 'extreme' series, though I am seeing some of the older ones. Way out of my price range in the volume I need though.

I'm not looking for the 'best' skimmer. I want a good skimmer. Which means something not in the lot with the Coral Life and Seaclones and Prizms. There's so many out there that look good on paper but really just flat out work.

Yes. I did have a Seaclone. A fellow gave it to me when I bought a big pile of rock from him. I wonder why?
Old 12/20/2007, 09:18 PM
One Good Friend

www.marinesolutionsinc.com
Old 12/20/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Actually. That's a very good price for the NW-200. Thanks!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

That one (the NW 200) will blow the other two AWAY !!!!
Old 12/21/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

DAS EX1 is a very nice skimmer as well. dont know if $285 is out of range or not

www.petorama.net
Old 12/21/2007, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

You say your sump fluxuates between 15 and 40 gallons? That seems like a pretty big swing to me. I would look at making and ATO unit,especially if you are going to try and run a low end skimmer,they really struggle with a big swing in water level. I made my ATO with a 10 gallon tub,some RO line one RO valve and a Kent float in my sump. Have less than 25 bucks in it and a very stable water level in my sump. Instead of looking to buy a new low end skimmer from LFS I would seriously check out the buy/sell board here and at other sites,Im sure you could find a really nice skimmer for what you would pay for not so great at LFS. I got a Euroreef RS5-2 for 165 shipped and it came looking brand new.Turned it on and it really goes after it, no tinkering or dialing,plug and play. May be a little underated for your tank but I bet it could hold its own.
Old 12/24/2007, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

If your sump fluctuates a lot i would definetly not suggest an in sump.

get a recirc like the DAS and just put it in sump that is what i do