Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Dou you find members on Reef Central Rude/derogatory/Negative toward you or others?
Not at All 3 15.00%
Once and a while 11 55.00%
All the Time! 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/01/2007, 03:25 PM
Moved On

Do you find some members on reef central rude/derogatory/condescending?

Do you find some members on reef central rude/derogatory/condescending?

1. Not at all
2. Once and a while
3. All the time!

I am hoping to promote better attitudes on this site. An a more friendly environment that feels more like a community. I and others don't want to get slammed anymore for trying to improveour hobby.
Old 03/01/2007, 03:36 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Yes, all the time! I believe two of the worst ones are Debi and Nina, although there are a number of other women in the lounge here who aren't far behind! Don't they see I have feelings? Don't they see being stuck in the toaster all the time causes me stress??

Okay, okay, I'm going back to the toaster! FINE!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 03/01/2007, 03:38 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

<---Plugs the toaster in.
Old 03/01/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Of course there are menbers that are like that. Always have been, always will be. No different here than on the Mtn Bike site where I am a Mod.

Just ignore them. If a post is outragous, report them. Very simple.
Old 03/01/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Dino, you're just a man, get used to it
Old 03/01/2007, 03:42 PM

I did a quick search... are you talking about This Thread ?

I probably shouldn't bother here cause I don't have but a second-- anyway please first I want to say I haven't had time yet to read the whole thread .

I know one of my pet peeves is for those who are new to RC to underestimate the quality of info they are receiving. I know it's normal to do so, but it's sort of a hurdle some people have trouble getting over (and I know not all the advice here is good).
Do I flame anyone over it? No! But I can understand the frustration of someone who does...
Sadly, it takes about the same amount of typing to explain to somebody that some of the folks posting are even occasionally internationally recognized experts in their field, etc.

Sorry you're experiences may have been not so hot - but I just try to consider myself lucky to have RC - it's made all the difference in my hobby success

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 03/01/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

oh go blow it out your ear.
Old 03/01/2007, 03:45 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Ritten
Dino, you're just a man, get used to it
I used to think you were nice....

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 03/01/2007, 03:59 PM
Moved On

No this thread is not the reason, it was just the last straw, I and friens of mine of the same opinion are just tired of getting flamed and having threads ruined on this site because of people who don't understand the meaning of the wor community. I have multiple user names, and I experience this with all of them. I have to use multiple usernames becuse certain people decide to have it in for others. which turns to intentional harrassment.

I just thought I would put a Voice out there.

The fact is, this site is the best forum for reef's on the net, and it IS the best place to get info for hobbists with a mutual love for saltwater life. This is because RC has the most members, with the most experience, and the largest collective knowledge and sums of experience out ther. I just wish some people would stop ruining it for others and use this site as though they were talking to others face to face in the flesh.

Cheers
Old 03/01/2007, 04:05 PM
Monkeys Rule once more

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey55
No this thread is not the reason, it was just the last straw, I and friens of mine of the same opinion are just tired of getting flamed and having threads ruined on this site because of people who don't understand the meaning of the wor community. I have multiple user names, and I experience this with all of them. I have to use multiple usernames becuse certain people decide to have it in for others. which turns to intentional harrassment.

I just thought I would put a Voice out there.

The fact is, this site is the best forum for reef's on the net, and it IS the best place to get info for hobbists with a mutual love for saltwater life. This is because RC has the most members, with the most experience, and the largest collective knowledge and sums of experience out ther. I just wish some people would stop ruining it for others and use this site as though they were talking to others face to face in the flesh.

Cheers

I think you are about to find you just gave TMI, sorry.
Old 03/01/2007, 04:07 PM

You really need to use just one name and stand behind that name -

If someone is nasty you should hit the "report this post to the moderator" button - I had to do that once and whatever the conversation the guy had with the moderator apparently got him banned -

It's a big site and if people don't report posts, nothing is done. The vast majority of us want a user friendly community and a few bad apples can really give the rest of us a bad name.

Old 03/01/2007, 04:11 PM

And if somebody's harassing you & following you to other threads to pick on you, a moderator can track his steps & confront him with it. Nobody wants those types here.

Old 03/01/2007, 04:14 PM
My Life for Aiur!

There is also an Ignore button somewhere. I think it's under each individuals profile.
Old 03/01/2007, 04:20 PM
Moved On

Well, sometimes those routes are futile
Old 03/01/2007, 04:21 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Quote:
Originally posted by jefathome
Of course there are menbers that are like that. Always have been, always will be.

WHAT????? Who????

What's everyone looking at?

(seriously, though. that kind of snottiness should only be used in the lounge. Definately not appropriate for the general threads.)
Old 03/01/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

I mostly just take it with a grain of salt a lot of people are very passionate about their opinions

Mark
Old 03/01/2007, 04:28 PM
Dirty Reefer

sure, there are always people like that no matter where you go or what you do.
In certain forums there seem to be more "experts" than others. That's why folks hang out here in the lounge. (aka losers)

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 03/01/2007, 04:30 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I'll admit that I'm on here browsing constantly. Mean and negative commentary is actually quite rare. But the times that they do show up, they stand out like a beacon in the night. It's very unfortunate that small and uncommon interaction between people can have such a devestating impact on a community worth of people.
Old 03/01/2007, 04:36 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

I agree with Angel*Fish. I think that if you find you are having a problem with someone, you are better reporting it to a moderator and not responding to it yourself. The "just walk away" type attitude. It's not worth your time to stoop to their level and get in a p-ing match on here. You end up feeling defensive and you shouldn't have to. If you feel that you are being put in the position of having to respond, I think I would just post that a certain response is not necessary. Good luck!

Melting!
Old 03/01/2007, 04:49 PM
Moved On

well, I can report all I want, however, most of the time these comments ruin threads and you can't get proper info unless y6ou start another. Sometimes it is an emergency. But more often, it is just frustrating and a time waster.

If you look at the poll, ther is an attitude adjustment needed on this site.

I am not upset, jI would just like it if it was more pleasant and easier to get my info. I reall like a lot of people on this site.
Old 03/01/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

I vote for fatman. he's always stalking me. even at the supermarket line
Old 03/01/2007, 05:07 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Quote:
Originally posted by oz
I vote for fatman. he's always stalking me. even at the supermarket line

Melting!
Old 03/01/2007, 05:34 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Monkey55 - I've seen your reported posts and I've looked over several of your threads. From where I sit you're asking for most of what you're getting. When you ask for advice and opinions and then tell anyone who answers that they're wrong or don't know what they're talking about they will likely respond badly.

I've also banned your other account. Our User Agreement allows one per customer.

My recommendation would be to be a better neighbor if you want a friendlier community.

Cheers

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 03/01/2007, 06:37 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Community Service announcement.

When a moderator indicates that he's closed your alternate account it's in your best interest to not send him a PM bragging that you still have more.

Carry on. Talk amongst yourselves.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.