Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up One last substrate question...feeback really appreciated

I am thinking of switching over my crushed coral to a deep sand bed. I figured out the sand that i need to get (my previous post). In the tank, I have a cinnamon clown, clown trigger, and blueline trigger. Can I go ahead and make this switch with the fish still in there or is this not a good idea? I realize I am going to have a dust cloud for a period of time. I don't want to harm the fish in any ways. Any feedback on this is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 12/19/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I switched quite a few years ago from cc to sand. The Southdown sand made a hell of a mess but the fish were unaffected.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I heard you can get a piece of PVC tube and a funnel. Pure the sand through the PVC and spread were you like to put the sand but dont lift up to much as you will release the cloud.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usmc121581
I heard you can get a piece of PVC tube and a funnel. Pure the sand through the PVC and spread were you like to put the sand but dont lift up to much as you will release the cloud.
I would do that and turn off all the circulation while your pouring, then turn it right back on so your skimmer can pick up anything that is not settled
Old 12/19/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

These are very good suggestions. Thanks Very Much!! If anyone else has anything on this topic, i would love to hear.

Last edited by lexxx; 12/19/2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

If you have or access to a filter system to run while you do this it will clear the water fast of a "storm"
Bob
Old 12/19/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

I switched my tank from CC to sand. I did about one third at a time.You can siphon out the CC with 3/4 inch tubing. Its a pain to do but if you rig a strainer over a bucket you can get the CC then reuse the water. You can filter the water through some floss or other media before returning it to your tank. That is the cleanest way to do a miserable job that I am aware of. I would try to get as much CC as you can out. That stuff has a way of working its way back to the top of the sand again.The PVC chute idea is also one that I have used. If you wet the sand before you pour it down the chute its not to bad at all.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:44 PM
Dance 4 Life

To answer your ?'s

I would take the fish out, you don't want them dealing with all the nasties that will come out of that CC. You need to keep in mind you'll be taking out a huge part of your biofilter out (even if it's CC ), so plan accordingly to keep up with water changes. HTH