Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/09/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Koralia Sucks

For anyone here thinking of buying any koralia products...dont!! I had the koralia 2 for about 2 weeks and it began to make a terrible rattling noise. Now its even worse, its so damn loud I cant even sleep with the thing on! What a [profanity] product. Buyer beware
Old 01/09/2008, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

This is a new one .I always disliked them as use for main flow for anything larger then a 60 gallon. Besides the lack of controll you get.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:03 AM
Team RC Member

take it apart and make sure the little white nylon washer is on the bottom of the impeller

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/09/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Did you try and get it replaced? Probably not. I love my 3 and will be getting more of these in the future. The # of negative reviews is completely out weighed by the price and positive reviews. Great ph and great customer service. Highly recommend them to anyone that can't afford tunze/vortech
Old 01/09/2008, 01:14 AM
Team RC Member

ive had 4 #4's for a while now. one of mine clanked like that once and it was the washer missing like i said.

i have to agree on the customer service. when i got mine it was right when they first came out, they didnt have the deflector with them like the new ones do. i sent an e-mail asking about if i could get a deflector and got a response in 10minutes. no questions asked but how many do you want. get them two days later

------------------------------------------------
Old 01/09/2008, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Our K1 and K2 in our 31 gal have been great and we are running a nano in our kids 10 gal reef tank. I have nothing but great things to say about them and with the deflectors you can control the flow better than without.

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...
Old 01/09/2008, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Another vote on the positive side. IMO they are the only alternative to tunze. And I think the vortech is in a league of its own.

We are talking about a $30 ph here, I think the build quality, flow, and service is ridiculous for that price. Cant say anything bad.

You show me where you get a magnet mount, low velocity wide flow, swivel sphere base, and 1200gph @ 8watts for $45.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 #4's and a #3 in my 75 and am very happy for 6 months now
Old 01/09/2008, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

i think they are great..... have 2 in my 54 gallon.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

schigara. This mightbe a little low. Your tank is young and low flow takes time from months to yrs to show and by then you never eben think its from low flow. I do agree that they have there plave in this hobby but are better used by a more experianced reefer. As a powerhead with more control from flow control knobs to duckbill tips for dirrection control. There are many variables though from feeding to stocking to rock placement that really could affect the outcome. I know your happy and think your fine but if you ever have a nitrate or algea problem pls keep this thread in mind.

angel2007
You didnt mention the size they are but i also say 2 #4 koralias max out around 60 gallons. But of course as i stated above there are many variables.Just keep this thread in mind.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

Demon,

I wasn't saying I am happy with the flow or that I think they produce the kind of flow needed for the SPS dominant tank I strive for. I was just saying I am happy with the pump itself for what it is and what it costs. I should have mentioned that.

The original poster was commenting about the quality of the product, not it's intended use or longterm outcome from use. I was only commenting that the Koralia's I have, have worked without failure(meaning they still pump water).

This particular tank is only 6 months old but I have been researching more than 3 years and know very well the the ammount and type of flow I need.

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
schigara. This mightbe a little low. Your tank is young and low flow takes time from months to yrs to show and by then you never eben think its from low flow. I do agree that they have there plave in this hobby but are better used by a more experianced reefer. As a powerhead with more control from flow control knobs to duckbill tips for dirrection control. There are many variables though from feeding to stocking to rock placement that really could affect the outcome. I know your happy and think your fine but if you ever have a nitrate or algea problem pls keep this thread in mind.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

do you have it hooked up thru a wave maker? If so they are ment to run all the time.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbbuna
i have to agree on the customer service. when i got mine it was right when they first came out, they didnt have the deflector with them like the new ones do. i sent an e-mail asking about if i could get a deflector and got a response in 10minutes. no questions asked but how many do you want. get them two days later
What are these deflectors everyone is talking about? I haven't heard or seen anything about them.
How much where they? Each+shipping?

I was thinking of getting two K3's for my 29g tank. Is that too much flow? Should I get the K2's instead?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

I have to say that I think that these are great products even though i dont like the look of the new ones they seem alot bigger then the older ones. I have had mine up and running for abotu 6 months with no problems. I would buy them again. I do wish that they had a little more controllability but they say that they are eventually going to come out with a controller for them
Old 01/09/2008, 09:34 AM
problem algae grower

all posotives from me too, better than nanostreams for and yes I have tried both.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

I tried out a Koralia 3 and just ordered another one. Love them! I do wish they could be used with wavemakers and will eventually move up to Tunze, but you can't beat the Koralia performance for the price as mentioned above. I'd considered moding a maxi-jet and using a timer, but the darned thing makes an awful racket on startup.

I left the deflector off mine because I like the strong, wide flow. Do other K owners recommend using them?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

i love the two I have
Old 01/09/2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I have two Koralias in my tank, and I'm very happy with them.
There is not better power heads than Koralias for that price.

For those complaining, show me a similar product with the same price and gph.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Can someone please post some pics of the old and new Koralias? I want to see what you guys are talking about.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:13 AM
Addicted to the Reef

use one 4 at home and a 4 and 1 at work and have sold many of them with 0 returns or complaints..

love those things..
heck you could always try a seio ( alot more directional alot more watts and a faster current (better for sps i guess) but break non stop)

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 01/09/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

One thing that I have learned from my mistakes is that any investment in any kind of hobby is you get what you pay for! There is an expresion that says "I am not rich to buy cheap stuff!" You will spent more money upfront but you will save a lot in the long run. Do your homework and buy the good stuff since the begining!
Old 01/09/2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

i have two koralias #4 and have no complaints...
Old 01/09/2008, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

i have two koralias #4 and have no complaints...
Old 01/09/2008, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

I think they do a good job. I like them and for the money you can't beat them. Alot of cheap stuff on the market is garbage, but these are one of the products that are on the cheaper side and still work well.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Great product. Fantastic customer service.