Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/07/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Question question about salt creep

i have never seen anything about this,once there is an abundance of salt creep in the sump/top of the tank,if the creep is pushed back into the tank will it still include the "perfect balance" that the salt mix has when first mixed?
one more question,i do a 5 gallon water change every saturday on my system,this sufficeint enough?(75 gal tank with 40 gal sump)
thanks for reading
Old 07/07/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Not sure what it contains, but whatever it is made up of it will only be benefical to put back in. I disolve it first in tank water then add it back, at the end of the day it is only tank water that has the H20 removed.

Sean

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 07/07/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Most people recommend around 20% water change per month so with four 5 gallon changes that's 20 gallons which is 27%, so it should cover it. This ofcourse is only a general recommendation. If you have a very heavy bioload, poor filtration, tend to overfeed your critters, or have some chemical warfare going on between your corals, more may be better. But it is good that you do 4 smaller changes rather then just one big one each month. If it seems to be working so far, I wouldn't change anything.
Old 07/07/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

You gotta watch out for just pushing it in if it happens to land on a piece of coral it can chemically burn the coral
Old 07/07/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Pushing it in should be fine with caution like stated above...watch were it lands....I don't like doing it because there tends to be dust acumilation in there. So I guess it depends on how often you do this
Old 07/07/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Wait a minute, you guys don't use this to line the rims on your margarita glasses????

Old 07/07/2007, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Hmmmm, sounds yummy to me
Old 07/08/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

I thought that salt creep was not to be reintroduced into the tank as the chemical properties of it are different than the original salt, ie. That during evaporation it changes chemically somehow.

I'm not sure if thats right, or even close, but I think I heard/read it somewhere and I cant remember were.

Can someone confirm or disprove this?
Old 07/08/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

i like the idea using it margurita's : ) seriously / wipe it off, push it back into the tank - whatever you want to do. as noted i would just make sure your not pushing it onto a coral - something to avoid indeed. as far as your water changes - 5 gal. a week sounds good as long as you keep it up. a 10-15 gal. change once every two weeks would work too.
Old 07/08/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

hmmm,i would like to know this for sure too,as i have been pushing the salt back in ever since my tabk has been running.i guess ill stick to what works for now unless i learn otherwise.
Old 07/08/2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

Stop the splashing, or leak ,and that won't happen.
Old 07/08/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I don't get any salt creep around my main tank. Only around the sump. I just push it right back in.
Old 07/08/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

i dont have leaks or splashing,but i guess i do have quite a bit of surface agitation that could almost constitute as splashing(small bubbles always popping).i was just curious as if the process of evaporation was quicker or slower than consumption of water nutrients,and/or if it gave back those things to the tank once re introduced.but i have thought more about it,and this is one ogf those things that doesnt really have a right or wrong awnser,so i will continue to do what has worked for me thus far,and that is pushing the salt creep back into the tank.thank for reading.