Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Best Rodi Unit???

Can anyone recommend a good ro unit??? I am looking for a 50-75gpd willing to spend up to 300. Does any use the kent or purely h20 ones let me know
Old 07/28/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

www.spectrapure.com
Old 07/29/2007, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html
I have heard good things about this one.
Old 07/29/2007, 01:40 AM
Got Salt?

I LOVE my Typhoon III

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 07/29/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

I have no complaints with my OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI from thefilterguys. Going for a year now with prefilter swap at 6 months and recently and still 0 TDS.
Old 07/29/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

just ordered one from melevsreef last week.
Old 07/29/2007, 09:58 AM
SNAFU

Spectrapure Max Cap RO/DI
Old 07/29/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

2nd on the spectrapure max cap
Old 07/29/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member.

I got my Pure Water 6 stage, 125GPD, with an extra set of filters for under $140 delivered from Ebay.
Old 07/29/2007, 01:44 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

I bought a 100 GPD off of Ebay. I had to upgrade the DI part as the one I got with the unit didnt do too well. I removed it and put a full size DI cartridge from BuckEye Field Supply (RC Sponsor) and I have 100 GPD of ZERO TDS water. My reef couldnt be happier!

In my opinion, as long as you are getting a unit that takes the standard 10" filters, in a year, when you are replacing filters, it wont matter what brand you bought because you will be searching for filters from other vendors anyway. Just my $.02
Old 07/29/2007, 01:47 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Oh yeah... I believe it was around $100 delivered to my door.
Old 07/29/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

if cash is not an issue, i think alot of people on RC swear by spectrapure as having a bit higher quality control and interesting products (like the maxcap di system). also, i think sometimes BAR tries to setup groupbuys with spectrapure, if you want to go that route (i think their units go for around $300).

if you search (late, late at night when the RC search function sometimes works.. ) on the lighting/equipment forum most people like spectrapure, filterguyz, air water ice /typhoon 3, melev.. though the difference between all of them, kent or seachem, and the ebay aquasafe, etc. other $100 dollar ones is somewhat minimal, and you can always change your micron/brands on your different components when you replace them to make a 'spectrapure' like unit out of your rodi.

generally people look for a 4 or 5 stage RODI unit with 1) 75 gph RO filter (seems to have best removal rates for money), filmtec being the 'brand' people like, 2) full size/vertical 10" DI canister (or multiple canisters). read up on the different additions too like TDS meter and auto-shutoff if you are setting it up for ato..

also, you may want to check your TDS of your tap too, as there seems to have been quite a bit of discussion on BAR regarding not using the RO part of the RODI unit and just the prefilters/DI if tap TDS is ~40-50 or lower (which is much of oakland, alameda, parts of sf, etc.) with great results, decent life on the DI, and no RO wastewater produced. as my tap TDS is ~25-35 in oakland, i'm hoping to convert mine to bypass the RO filter whenever i find some extra time..

okay, first post in a while.. maybe went a bit too long..
Old 07/30/2007, 12:46 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Filterguyz... ocean reef -+1

" Charles V "
Old 07/30/2007, 01:56 PM
AEFW Assasinator

I have the ro/di unit from Melev and it works fine - I think the ro/di units with the clear housings are all the same it's the filters that will make a difference.

I use Spectrapure filter cartridges, but am not stuck just to one brand.