Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 04:58 PM
Parrot head

Why would I buy a new pair of glasses when I already have 2?

Rx glasses aren't cheap either you know.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:23 PM

too esoteric for me Barry...or maybe it's the cough drops?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:31 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
too esoteric for me Barry...or maybe it's the cough drops?
Were you talking about the other thing? Not cold enough for a muffler here.
Old 01/05/2008, 05:35 PM

What? Go to your pill organizer and make sure you are caught up dude.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's not a mullet, that's a receded hairline. Been like that since I was a kid. You know it's a sign of virility right?

Am I the only one disturbed by that picture?
Definately not

How did you go with that koi pond, are you going to get one?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:33 PM
I am a super nose picker

Is the koi pond for his saltwater fish?They will need a temporary home when he changes the tank out.I think I will drive down there and help you out when the time comes.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:45 PM

yeah, the 8' one is perfect and about $500. Kiddie pools are cheaper but I like the depth of this one and it looks like it might last more than 15 minutes.

I won't get one until I have a full plan in place.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
Is the koi pond for his saltwater fish?They will need a temporary home when he changes the tank out.I think I will drive down there and help you out when the time comes.
Any idea how far it is from Montreal to Seattle. That's not just driving down, but down and over a continent!
Old 01/05/2008, 09:51 PM
I am a super nose picker

Well I have time on my hands.I can fly there if you like.I can help you with the move.I will work for room and board.You can have me sleep in the shed or outside if its mild.Just tell your wife no shooting her gun outside please.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:57 PM

Shed? You think we are some kind of country bumkins? We don't have no stinkin' shed! And why are you so quick to leave your wife and in-laws? hmmm? You can drive it. I don't care. Could be fun. Couple of the states on th eway don't have booze, so you'll have to go around them.

I WILL need a lot of help though. Still haven't figured out whether I will do a temporary fix, house the water for a couple of hours during the fix job, and then build a tank, or to do the tank straight off.

I am leaning toward a temporary repair so I can spend the time designing and building the next tank without worrying about this one having a blow-out.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Shed? You think we are some kind of country bumkins? We don't have no stinkin' shed! And why are you so quick to leave your wife and in-laws? hmmm? You can drive it. I don't care. Could be fun. Couple of the states on th eway don't have booze, so you'll have to go around them.

I WILL need a lot of help though. Still haven't figured out whether I will do a temporary fix, house the water for a couple of hours during the fix job, and then build a tank, or to do the tank straight off.

I am leaning toward a temporary repair so I can spend the time designing and building the next tank without worrying about this one having a blow-out.
Can you lower the water level in this one for now? It seems that would greatly reduce the risk of a blow-out, and you might even just skip the repair.

Since you never give us FTSes anymore, I can't remember how high your coral bed is and what the impact might be.

Ben
Old 01/05/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrantley
Can you lower the water level in this one for now? It seems that would greatly reduce the risk of a blow-out, and you might even just skip the repair.

Since you never give us FTSes anymore, I can't remember how high your coral bed is and what the impact might be.

Ben
To funny.

I'd go the temp repair, and design a system, based on past experiences, giving you some new ideas and better ways to do things. I'm sure there's times when you wished you had done things diferently.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:29 PM

I never wish I did something differently!

Actually Ben, the system is built around a coast-to-coast overflow, so I can't lower the water level. I understand what you mean though, and if i do th etemporary fix, I wll have to drain out about 7600+g in order to effect that repair.

When I do the swap out, I will be using one of these:

Pearls of Paradise
Old 01/05/2008, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Hey Jonathan, for some reason Pearls of Paradise brought a much different vision to my head!
Old 01/05/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sherm71tank
Hey Jonathan, for some reason Pearls of Paradise brought a much different vision to my head!

no comment
Old 01/05/2008, 11:48 PM

Yeah, me too...I wonder what that board meeting was like?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:05 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
I never wish I did something differently!

Actually Ben, the system is built around a coast-to-coast overflow, so I can't lower the water level. I understand what you mean though, and if i do th etemporary fix, I wll have to drain out about 7600+g in order to effect that repair.

When I do the swap out, I will be using one of these:

Pearls of Paradise
I know your tank is big, but it ain't that big!

My big concern with these types of pools is that risk that the plastic will tear. Some LR is quite sharp. Would you put something down, like sheet foam, for the rock to sit upon?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:50 AM

I didn't catch that. 700g is the correct number.

I have given that some thought. I wouldn't use foam but I might use acrylic, PVC, or egg crate. I could also dump in a few bags of sand, but that would make the break down a hassle. Sand would be the best though in terms of avoiding a tear.

That particular "koi pool" is made out of really thick stuff and is much better than the kiddie pools.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:53 AM
TRC Leader

Sand would do all kinds of good stuff, including denitrify the system during the wait period.

And you could almost set up the skimmer to stand in the pool to keep it skimmed without too much of a hassle plumbing-wise.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:22 PM
I am a super nose picker

looks like you have a lot of work ahead.I would get a new tank.Why drain everything to do a temporary fix and then have to do it all over again.How long will it take to design a tank?Its a box with water in it.The choice now is do you want a cl in it or will you do power heads.I would go with those big tunze pumps but make some kind of fake box to hide them.Will you go acrylic again?You said you were thinking of a hybrid tank.I wonder if you went all acrylic but after took a pane of glass and silicone it to the front panel.This way the front would be glass and you wouldn't have to worry about scratches.The glass wouldn't have to be thick since its only purpose would be to keep the front panel free of scratches.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I have one of those intex easy set pools that has freshwater stingrays in it and lots of large rock it has been up for over two years never leaked there is only foam under the pool ti keep it insulated from the concrete floor i think that the give in the foam allows the liner to stretch a little instead of tearing. I have all kinds of large rock stacked but I do know people who have the pearls of paradise pools and the quality is ten fold better then the intex
Old 01/06/2008, 01:39 PM

The pool has a 1.5" BH already, which is perfect for my spare Sequence 4300. For the tank swap, I would set the pump up to feed the skimmer and filter sock the output, with the output above the water level of the tank. This would provide extra aeration since I won't be able to pipe in fresh air like I do in the tank room.

I have an extra 1000W ballast and dish style reflector that I would hang above the tank. Shouldn't be to damn hard to hold the stuff. It's the back and forth of it, fish aggression, and coral health that I am worried about. Every story of tank swaps I have heard about includes some livestock losses.

I would also set up a "frag" tank separately in case there is a major melt down. I have thousands of dollars in corals I would hate to lose. No matter how well things are planned out, there will be significant risk.

One nagging problem is my ability to manage complex tasks. I remember back in 2000 I planned and executed a move of our entire store to a new location. We closed down at 3pm instead of 6pm, and reopened the next day at 9am in the new location fully operational.

This past year (actually going back into '06) we expanded our store into the next unit. This involved new equipment, pulling down the wall between, new signage, and redecorating. And the work is still not finished. I am just not the guy I used to be, and that makes me nervous about attempting this swap.

I almost wished this on myself in a way, because I have seen many horror stories about people taking down their tanks because of pests, catastrophic failures, etc. and I have always told myself there's no way I am going to be able to do that...sort of a self-fulfilling prophesy I guess.

It all boils down to my feelings about the animals that rely on me. I take their lives much more seriously than most hobbyists. It's just how I am. I remember a few years ago my cat was showing signs of age, and my wife and son approached me and said it was time to get rid of the cat.

I told them the cat had been with me twice as long as either of them, and that if anyone was leaving, it would be them, not the cat. I think that about sums it up eh?
Old 01/06/2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
I wonder if you went all acrylic but after took a pane of glass and silicone it to the front panel.This way the front would be glass and you wouldn't have to worry about scratches.The glass wouldn't have to be thick since its only purpose would be to keep the front panel free of scratches.
I have thought about this as well, but it's my opinion that this would be optically annoying. I WILL test this idea though.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:45 PM

rottbo Thanks for the input. I have one of those Intex pools at the ready but it is not big enough for the swap. It is big enough to hold the water for the temp. repair if I decide to do that. I have 15 sq. ft. of grapple mat that I will use under the pools for insulation and a little give.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:54 PM

Well I started on the scraping today and discovered that my Therme Algae Terminator is not heating up.

Last time I used it was about 4 months ago and it worked just fine. I called the number on their web site but got the guy's wife on a cell phone breaking up, so hopefully he will get back to me and figure this out.

Not cool because the coraline is so thick, it won't come off with standard scrapers or even a DIY acrylic scraper. I really need some elves.