Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2002, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Harbor or Gulf-view?

guys should i go with harbor aquatics or gulf-view for my live rock,i live in new york so either way its a long ship.isnt gulf-view more of like an aquacultured rock?which type is better?also is 30 lbs of live rock sufficent for a 55 gallon tank?i want room for my fish to swim..........
Old 05/15/2002, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

From what I read, both are great places to get the rock from. Gulf-view is highly recommended by DgenR8 (moderator on this forum). I have also read very possitive things about Harbor Aquatics.
Check out this thread. Also, Paragon Aquatics is located in CT and is about 140 miles from NYC.

Last edited by jarhead; 05/15/2002 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05/16/2002, 10:17 AM
RC Staff
American

to Gulf-View!!!
I have no experience with Harbor or Paragon. I have not seen negative experiences with either of them, and I have nothing bad to say about them.
Check out the Vendor's feedback forum for more people's experiences.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...p?s=&forumid=8

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 05/16/2002, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

30 lbs LR for 55g

Do you have a DSB? skimmer? sump?
Old 05/16/2002, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

what does a DSB, skimmer, or sump have anything to do with the amount of rock in the tank?

anyway, one thing you should consider is the fact that gulf-view rock is denser, so 30 pound will probably make your tank look somewhat sparse. i've seen 90 pounds of gulf-view in a 72 and it doesn't fill up nearly as much space as you think it might.
Old 05/16/2002, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

If you have a DSB then you can get by with less LR. Also, if you have a sump plumbed to the 55g, you can put DSB & LR in it to increase overall filtration.
Old 05/16/2002, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

ive got a 5" dsb,a fluval 304 and a aqua c remora skimmer,ill remove the media from the 304 if i need to,its just that i really dont like the look of a ton of rock in my tank,if gulf-view is dense then should i get more,i have a 55 tall so i dont have as much floor as a normal 55
Old 05/16/2002, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

also which type of gulf-view should i get?
Old 05/16/2002, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Yesterday we received our order of both Fiji and Marshall Island from Premium Aquatics, and our order of Primo Deco and Corraline from Gulf-View. While I think all the rock was good, the Primo Deco from Gulf-View was pretty amazing. It looked like it had just been pulled from the ocean (and in fact I think it was probably less than 48 hours from ocean bottom to our door). No die-off that I could find, and a very wide variety of life. My next order, if I need more, will be the Primo Deco.
Old 05/17/2002, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

a 55 tall? is that 36 inches long? you could probably get away with ~40. just a guess. i divided 30 between a 7 and a 15 and they look pretty sparse. here's what i would do if i were you:

(a) buy the 30 pound coralline special. this is the only type i've had experience with and it was great. make sure you specify that you want big pieces; you don't want to have to pile a bunch of little ones.
(b) arrange rock, etc etc. then determine if you want more. in the meantime your tank will cycle, you'll have a die-off, blah blah blah.
(c) if you decide you want more, get the primo deco. supposedly it's even more packed with life and if you put it in an already cycled tank you'll have even less die-off.

anyway, just my two cents. also, you probably won't need the media in the fluval. gl!
Old 05/17/2002, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

gulf view and get the deco rock, lots of stuff on it.
My .02 cents.

60 hex, 250w 12k MH, 3p.h., DSB, LR, can filter, in-tank refug w/ mangroves, remora pro skimmer, SPS, LPS, soft corals and numerous inverts.