Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Best overflow box

I've had my reef tank running for over 3 years now, and the overflow box has stopped twice in the last two months. For 3 years, i had no problems, but now i've had two recent disasters. I've heard that there are boxes now that are pretty much flood proof. What are the best ones? Thank you
Old 12/16/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Lifereef is the best built and is reliable, wont lose siphon. But expensive compared to some others. I figure that if you are going to use a HOB you may as well use the best.
www.lifereef.com
Old 12/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

This helped me with my overflow. I made my own U-tube out of PVC pipe. I drilled a little hole in the elbow, inserted a nipple, and connected a long length of 1/4" OD vinyl tubing. This hose runs down to my sump. I also use a small hose clamp like shown in this page:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...etail/iid/8333

A different overflow may be a viable solution, but you may be able to make yours more reliable.

The purpose of this little hose is to suck out any air that may accumulate in the U-tube ... if any. This hose also is a wonderful thing to have for when you want to prime the U-tube. I'm sure by now that anyone who has ever owned a siphon overflow knows what I'm talking about. Just suck on the hose and the U-tube is primed.

Just let the little hose siphon water down to the sump for a while and then clamp it off. Sometimes I let it run overnight or for a couple days straight.

Just know that if you allow the hose to run and if the electricity goes out for a few minutes ... you'll be in big trouble. Letting this hose run for long periods is not wise ... it's a gamble for sure.

If the electricity goes out the hose will continue to siphon water out of the overflow until the U-tube breaks siphon. When the electricity kicks back on then the sump will be drained into the display tank with NO functioning overflow. Bad news.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Another way to help your overflow work better would be to shorten your standpipe a bit.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Aqualifter pump ... thats what I use to start siphon in the U-tubes when I replace them after cleaning.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:20 PM
w3rd

what's the design on the overflowbox you have? its kind of weird seeing these topics since im pretty new to having one setup, but dont they have a compartment in the back that keeps the water with the u-tube along with the one in the prefilter box? if it ever stops it doesnt drain any water out and itll resume siphon once the pump starts. also i have an Iwaki WMD20RLXT for my nano and bubbles dont seem to stick around in the u-tube
Old 12/17/2007, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Lifereef. Owned them. they are great
Old 12/17/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

as long as your siphon tube is below your stand pipe you wont ever lose siphon.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Octopussie
as long as your siphon tube is below your stand pipe you wont ever lose siphon.

isnt there always a chance that the U-tube could build up an air bubble over time and cause it to lose siphon? im sure this might take a while and should surely not go unnoticed if you make it part of your maitenance routine, but it is possible no?

btw, im going with a lifereef for my 30g builld. just spoke to Jeff today to get a quote on a custom 600gph prefilter.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:06 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
isnt there always a chance that the U-tube could build up an air bubble over time and cause it to lose siphon? i
Not really. If all the bubbles are constantly pushed through, they wont accumulate....ever. I've seen people who have run them 6 - 7 years without a problem.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Lifereef, Huricane and Amiracle are all considered top quality.
Bubbles shouldn't be a problem as long as water is moving through the tube quickly enough. Slower water flow, whatever the cause, leads to bubble accumulation. Usually cleaning the tube will clear it up.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

stay away from CPR... i have one and have had 3 floods. Mine is famous for traping an air bubble, and causing an overflow.... its a nice overflow because it is a coninuous chamber versus a big tube over your tank, but now worth the asthetic apeal it may have.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Lifereef....never fails and not dependent on anything mechanical!
Old 12/18/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

CPR = many floods . I'm drilled now