Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

best place to get my live rock

what online dealers have offered u the best live rock.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

I got my first batch of LR from Drs. Foster Smith/Live Aquaria, and I think it was something like $160 for 50 lbs. of premium Fiji rock SHIPPED. They did a really good job packing it, too, as the LR was still very moist when it arrived. Highly recommended.

Gary
Old 12/10/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Is macro rock live rock? It looks white so I thought it may be dead.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I would also recommend Drs.FosterSmith (liveaquaria.com). I ordered Fiji standard live rock, and was very pleased--big pieces, nice shapes, well-packed, and a great price.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

I get mine from Aquacon www.aquacon.com
Old 12/10/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

I bought two boxes of 45 lb. Fiji Premium from Doctor's Foster and Smith and 60 lbs. of Tonga Fusion from Dr. Mac at Pacific East.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickyrooz1
Is macro rock live rock? It looks white so I thought it may be dead.
I assume you mean marco rocks, as in www.marcorocks.com ?

Looks like he has live rocks coming soon, but for now its all base rock from that site.

I've bought a ton of baserock from that site, it's really good stuff!
Old 12/10/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

If you have the patience base rock is great for your base building, then top it off with the nice expensive stuff. It will then color out nicely over time.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
I assume you mean marco rocks, as in www.marcorocks.com ?

Looks like he has live rocks coming soon, but for now its all base rock from that site.

I've bought a ton of baserock from that site, it's really good stuff!
Thanks, yes that was the site I just couldn't find the link. What is baserock? Rock from the ocean that has been sitting out of the water too long and everything died off?
Old 12/10/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I am intending on purchasing my rock from TBS...I have read on some forums that they are a reputable/quality establishment...
and their "package" includes a seeming well established "formula" of reef inhabitants
has anyone heard otherwise?...
Old 12/10/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

TBS has great looking rock, but be prepared to get "things" you may not want in your aquarium.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

For the price and quality, I would go with the Macro Rock.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

I looked into the TBS (there's a huge thread on it here . Most everybody who uses it seems very happy.

If I am not mistaken, aquacultured rock is of a denser form than that of most live rock. The reason for this I heard is that the lighter calcerous rock is too easily disturbed by weather activity and yields can be lost, so aquaculturing companies use a denser rock which stays put more often than not.

I'm not sure how important that is, but I wonder if its still true, and to what degree. Anybody posting information along those lines would be very appreciated.

I am starting my 220G reef late next month, and I am still in the preliminary building stages (finishing my last 50G acrlyic tank right now for RO topoff I have 125lbs of marco rock to be used for eggcrate+foam+resin+crushed coral aquascaping

I am most likely going to get LR from different sources, mixing some TBS with fiji rock from LiveAquaria sounds like a really nice idea.

During curing, I am planning to spread the rock out on racks between all my misc tanks and display tank to make it easier to observe hitchhikers (rather than making just a pile in the display tank). After its cured I will aquascape, making a few caves and arches that rest on the back wall of marco rock in (with small contact points). I will also get some rubble rock and seed the marco rock throughough with it to try and speed up the seeding process.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I would just get it from an LFS. It will ship much better, and more inverts on it will survive
Old 12/10/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I would just get it from an LFS. It will ship much better, and more inverts on it will survive.
Old 12/10/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm getting Marco beause I've had enough trouble with hitchhikers in previous tanks. I have enough Live Rock from my nano to seed my new rock.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Drs. Foster & Smith - Lalo "comes in only small pieces"
reefermadness - Uaniva or Kaelini
saltycritter - Bali Ultra and Uaniva or Kaelini
pacificeastaquaculture - Tonga Nuku Fusion phishybusiness - Bali Ultra
premiumaquatics - Marshall Islands
Old 12/11/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

I have some Kaelini and love it. It is very branchy and porous. Reminds me of the macro rock.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Premium Aquatics is the place to go with. I got Marshall Island from them about a year ago and it is very nice stuff.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Greetings
I got all of my live rock from Premium Aquatics (100 lbs of Marshall Islands and 35 pounds of Fiji) and was pleased with the price and quality. Fortunately for me, they are only about 1-hour away, so I was able to go in and hand-pick what I wanted.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Be careful with the TBS rock. From what I understand it is very commone to get some mantis shrimp with your rock. As to the rock density, well, aquacultured rock is not really the same stuff as what's usually sold as "live rock" from the pacific. It just hasn't spent enough time on the bottom for biological activity to make it as porous as good quality live rock IMHO. The plus side is that you will absolutely get plenty of life with your rock.

My $.02 is to find someone leaving the hobby, buy their rock for cheap and then "cook" it before starting your tank. Then, buy a few high quality pieces from a hobbyist or LFS that doesn't have aptasia/mojanos or bubble algae in their tank (this may be dificult.)
Old 12/11/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I got a load from TBS and was VERY pleased with the rock itself, AND with all the extras he included, but over the last 6 months I have trapped 14 Gorilla crabs, and have one more GREAT BIG mother of one left to catch.

I would be very skeptical about ordering it again unfortunately.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

omitted original comment...sorry...
please delete
Old 12/11/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

wow...good to know (sad to hear) about the TBS rock...
the last thing I want to do is deal with unfortunate dealing of MitchReef (sorry bud)...

I looked into the rock selection at Premium Aquatics...is there a consensus on which rock (or combination there of) that is best for a new start up reef?...

RyanBrucks...thank so much for the aquascaping link...very impressive...
thanks for sharing...
so many wonderful ideas and thoughtful sharing on this forum...
Old 12/11/2007, 08:55 PM
Generic Member

Besides the undesirable hitchhikers, the Fla aquacultured rock is very heavy. You need to get 2 -3x more of it by weight to have the same amount of rock.

The Marshall Island you get from P.A. is very nice stuff. Very light, porous branchy rock.