Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/15/2004, 06:51 PM
My member's registered?

My new 90G stand

Hi,

I just started work on the stand for my new 90G reef. Here are a few photos of the frame. More can be found in my gallery, along with photos of my basement sump, if you're interested.

view from the front

some angle shots

I'm going to skin it with 1/4 inch oak plywood. Doors are still to be done.

More to come,

BobB
Old 05/15/2004, 08:20 PM
Moved On

Wow. Don't you think that stand is overkill for a 90 gallon? That's strong enough to park your truck on. Also, you're shorting yourself on cabinet space.
Old 05/15/2004, 09:57 PM
Moved On

Hehe, kind of thinking the same thing. When I do my 75g stand, I think I will just be standing plywood up like the oceanic stands.
Old 05/15/2004, 11:07 PM
HELP SLOW

Looks good to me. Better to over kill. With a basement sump ya don't need a lot of cabinet space. :-)

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 05/16/2004, 07:47 AM
My member's registered?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannonball888
Wow. Don't you think that stand is overkill for a 90 gallon? That's strong enough to park your truck on. Also, you're shorting yourself on cabinet space.
I am the king of over-build. I may remove the center bracing, as I bet the stand is sturdy enough without it. I hear you about cabinet space, but that's not an issue. The 20+40G sumps are in the basement, so all I want for the stand is to have room for a few odds and ends (food, kits, etc) and the electronic ballasts.

Cheers,

BobB
Old 05/16/2004, 10:34 AM
Reef Junkie

If you are gonna have the sump in the basement, I would just leave the center braces. No sense in tearing apart an already super sturdy stand if you're not going to put your sump there. JMO
Old 05/16/2004, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

I just want to know how many people it takes to move that stand because I overbuilt my 90G stand and it takes to people 2 move it and I only used 2x4's

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Old 05/16/2004, 01:05 PM
My member's registered?

Quote:
Originally posted by 5y5tem 0verload
I just want to know how many people it takes to move that stand because I overbuilt my 90G stand and it takes to people 2 move it and I only used 2x4's
With just the frame as you see it, I can lug it without killing myself, but I'll have a buddy help move it at the same time we get the 90G.

The oak plywood is cut and being glued on as I write. More photos to come tomorrow.

BobB
Old 05/22/2004, 05:04 PM
My member's registered?

Stand with oak trim

Okay,

Another Saturday and a bit more done. All the oak plywood skin is on and the oak moulding in place. Doors have been ordered. Once they arrive and are mounted, I'm set for staining and finish. Here's a photo of my progress.

There are a few more photos of the stand with the oak, if you'd like to check out other angles.

BobB
Old 05/22/2004, 07:15 PM
My member's registered?

Re: Stand with oak trim

Quote:
Originally posted by BobB
Okay,

Another Saturday and a bit more done. All the oak plywood skin is on and the oak moulding in place. Doors have been ordered. Once they arrive and are mounted, I'm set for staining and finish. Here's a photo of my progress.

There are a few more photos of the stand with the oak, if you'd like to check out other angles.

BobB
Old 05/22/2004, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Looks good! Oh how I wish I was friends with someone who has power tools...
Old 05/23/2004, 02:55 AM
HELP SLOW

LMAO.....I built and moved my 150g stand all by my lonesome. I used those disks ya put underneath furniture. They work great.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 05/31/2004, 08:10 AM
My member's registered?

Quick update: Two unfinished 21x23" doors have been ordered from www.doorsandpulls.com and a single application of cherry stain has been applied. I'll start applying polyurethane today. With a bit of luck, I should be able to bring the stand inside next weekend and get the 90G on it. Then it will be connecting the tank to the basement sump. The saga continues...

BobB
Old 06/10/2004, 07:18 PM
My member's registered?

Finished stand

Believe it or not, my 90G stand is done, and the AGA 90G actually fits! Here are a few pictures:
The aquarium is in a small room, hence the wierd angles

another view

and one more,

Next: the canopy! (I'm beginning to wish all this DIY stuff was over....just kiddin'. Who doesn't love it? )
Old 06/10/2004, 11:31 PM
Money Spender

looks very good! keep us informed.
Old 06/11/2004, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

When you build a stand for a 75 gallon or 90 gallon, is it necessary to put in a center brace if your using 2X4's? I want to build a stand for my 75 gallon but do not want to put a center brace in because I would like to have a 20 to 30 gallon sump to fit in it. I would like it to be able to be removed from time to time to be cleaned, and just if something terrible goes wrong with it.
Old 06/11/2004, 08:57 AM
My member's registered?

Quote:
Originally posted by mah
When you build a stand for a 75 gallon or 90 gallon, is it necessary to put in a center brace if your using 2X4's?
Search 'imlon2'. Lonny has a detailed posting in the DIY forum on his 75G stand without center brace. Personally, just because I over-build, I'd use 2x6's for the upper horizontal tank support, but that's my paranoia. I'd bet 2x4's will work fine.
Old 06/11/2004, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Hello BobB

My 90G is a Bowfront and I will use user idea of the stand, but how can I give the stand the bow front on the wood.

Pedro Angel.
Old 06/11/2004, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

The stand looks great. The doors really make it look professional. thanks for the link I will use them in the future.

bow front, the way do it is get a big piece of card board and make a pattern of the bow plus the about another 2-3 inches behind the bow. cut this out make sure it matches then lay a 2x6 or 2x8 (depending on the amount of bow) trace the pattern on and cut it out with a hand held jig saw. build up the rest of the stand. cut a notch in the front so the bow will slide under and on top and sit flush. when you put 2x4s in to support the bow make sure the narrow end is flush with the bow. screw from the top and bottom. 1/4" plywood should bend for the bow start in the middle making sure you are square and work your way to the out sides. I think the easy to put molding on would be to use the foam molding, it should bend with your bow. the door is a whole different project. sorry if this is hard to understand. will try and draw a pictureand post it. I am not a computer person though. I could probably build it first.. LOL
Old 06/11/2004, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Looks good and blends with the floor nicely!
Old 06/12/2004, 08:24 PM
My member's registered?

Quote:
Originally posted by 5y5tem 0verload
It took two people to move the stand inside. My guestimate is that the stand weighs a few lbs more than the empty 90G tank.
Old 06/14/2004, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobB
Personally, just because I over-build, I'd use 2x6's for the upper horizontal tank support, but that's my paranoia.
I don't blame you at all.
Old 06/14/2004, 01:57 AM
Moved On

That stand looks great, but the frame is way overkill. I built one for my 90 gal 10 years ago that is still holding strong. 3/4 inch plywood double thick on both ends, 3/4 inch in the center, 3/4 across the back, 1/2 inch on top and 3/4 inch frame with doors on the front.
Great work! Looking forward to seeing the canopy.
Old 06/14/2004, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

Damn how do you make those?
Old 06/14/2004, 01:48 PM
My member's registered?

Quote:
Originally posted by matthewquenneville
That stand looks great, but the frame is way overkill.
When I'm unsure, I tend towards building too strong. At least I know its not going anywhere

[/i]
Looking forward to seeing the canopy. [/QUOTE]

The frame for the canopy is done, as is gluing the 1/4 " oak plywood on 3 of the five sides. The doors have been ordered (from the same place) and should arrive by Friday. I hope to have all the wood-work done on the canopy in a week, including exterior and interior finishing. The electrical is going to be fun, as I'm going to try to fit four 48" VHO's into the 48 1/2" interior, plus two 250 MHs. If the 48" don't work, I'll buy 46 1/2" VHO bulbs and hope to find a buyer for the 4-48 inchers.

Boy, this is a learning experience. And I thought I new something about reef tanks