Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2007, 09:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbduval
Am I looking at that right??? Is the seam coming apart?
Yes. I'll have to take some pictures of some of the other corners so you can see the difference.

The silicone in the four upright corners have never looked like I'd expect them to, but I've just prayed and hoped for the best. I really should have taken pictures quarterly to compare them just to see if any type of deterioration has occured.
Old 08/03/2007, 09:46 PM
g0t fIsH

have you got in touch with the builder yet?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/03/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Do you know how they actually attach the eurobrace to the tank. I know it is silicone but how do they apply it to make it structurally sound? If you can figure that out, you, the master can fix it!!!! I have confidence if you.
Old 08/03/2007, 10:21 PM

Marc, see my post in the other thread...
Old 08/03/2007, 10:38 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
have you got in touch with the builder yet?
No. The tank was built about 3.5 years ago and InterAmerican doesn't have the world's best reputation. This one is going to be all on me. I bought the tank used from a local club member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbduval
Do you know how they actually attach the eurobrace to the tank. I know it is silicone but how do they apply it to make it structurally sound? If you can figure that out, you, the master can fix it!!!! I have confidence if you.
It is definitely glued in a way to give the tank structure and stability. This small gap is definitely something I need deal with.
Old 08/03/2007, 11:02 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

Good luck Marc...sorry to hear this but its a blessing you found it early rather coming home and flooded the house and lost all your livestocks or worsed could burn down the house!
If it was me, I would redo it...I know its too much work but peace of mind is priceless!!! Don't have to ask that question...What if?
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 08/03/2007, 11:09 PM
TRC Leader

Hopefully I can get it fixed in the next couple of days.

Here are pictures of the eurobracing, taken back in 2004. Rear of tank with overflows.

Front of tank.

The eurobracing is made of 3/4" thick glass that is 3" wide.
Old 08/04/2007, 02:24 AM
grouchy hermit

Ugh! I have to agree ... for piece of mind, you'd have to fix that ... drain the tank ... double ugh. Sorry, Marc Or were you looking to fix it while the tank was still full?

Spleen
Old 08/04/2007, 02:47 AM
Carpe Noctem

If I'm looking at the direction of the seem on the EB correctly I think you can mend it, but maybe not for the longhaul without tearing the tank out and redoing it. There is too much pressure to fix it IMO full.

I would build an aluminum brace set across the top to keep it from bowing anyfurther and pulling the seam apart more than it is. With that water volume and subsequent pressure I would be concerned with trying to pull it back into square and fix it as is.

But this is just a guess on my part, do you have any builders in your club? Or a friendship from your reefing travels that can give you better advice?

I've fixed many tanks over the years, but never more than 110 gallons and unfortunately all but one ( a 55) I drained, fixed and allowed it to cure before subjecting it to stress/pressure
Old 08/04/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

please delete. i thought i was on a different thread.
Old 08/04/2007, 08:41 AM
Girls Rule!

Hmmm... sorry to hear that Any ideas on how you're going to fix it?
Old 08/04/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

oh man...I'm sorry about the trouble this will cause you. I hope that someone with expertise can come up with a solution!
Old 08/04/2007, 03:58 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Hey mark this is just my dumb/un-experienced idea, but you know how tanks that arent euro-braced are like 29/55 all others, have that plastic/semi-wooden rim? What if you did something like that, out of acrylic Im sure you the master could do it out of acrylic. Anyways to explain more, if you took acrylic that was pretty thick and attached it to go over the seam all the way around the tank, like this:

Old 08/04/2007, 04:15 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Unfortunately, I believe that you need to somehow unload the pressure/stress on that joint in order to repair it.

Just patching it will only prevent the stress from progressing any further, but if the sides have extra stress in the joints that will continue.

Good Luck Marc,
Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 08/04/2007, 07:56 PM
They Found Nemo

i personaly would somehow brace the tank with eaither wood ro somthing eles take the eurobracing off and completly redo it. get some aquarium silicone it shouldnt be that hard. use clamps to hole it togeather with pressure wile it dries
Old 08/05/2007, 12:58 AM
TRC Leader

What I'm going to do is talk to a few people that build tanks for a living to figure out what the best process would be. The fact is, I think I caught this early enough to prevent a disaster, and would prefer not to have to take drastic action if it is unnecessary.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:06 AM
g0t fIsH

as of now you think maybe bracing the outer perimeter just to be safe, or will you wait to talk tank manufacture before doing anything?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/05/2007, 01:18 AM
TRC Leader

Right now I'm just seeking information, period.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:20 AM
g0t fIsH

how long have the entire system been running again Marc?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/05/2007, 01:31 AM
TRC Leader

The tank turns 3 years old this month, and was used for 9 months before I got it.
Old 08/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
What I'm going to do is talk to a few people that build tanks for a living to figure out what the best process would be. The fact is, I think I caught this early enough to prevent a disaster, and would prefer not to have to take drastic action if it is unnecessary.
That's the best course of action... as always, post what you find out so we can all learn from it... best wishes...

-Joe
Old 08/05/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

What about gluing new 3" eurobracing on top of the existing and cross over the other way, over the seams? If that made sense...
Old 08/05/2007, 06:24 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
What about gluing new 3" eurobracing on top of the existing and cross over the other way, over the seams? If that made sense...
I like this idea.

Im curious to hear what the tank builders come back with. Im no structural engineer... but I would think that since the current EB has seperated a bit, there is now more stress on some other part of the tank, which it obviously wasnt designed for (hince the need for the EB). If the current EB could be brought back together and held... then use this idea. This wouldnt even be a bad idea for folks with non-seperated EB's to think about. Sort of a preventative measure to help you sleep at night.

Hang in there Marc... Times like these are tests of character. Im sure you will pass.
Old 08/05/2007, 06:34 PM
TRC Leader

To my untrained eye, it just looks like that silicone eroded out of the normal-sized gab, or was never filled properly perhaps? If that is the case, filling it anew and reinforcing all four corners sounds like my best option. I'd prefer to glue them from beneath so I can adhere to more surface area since the plastic trim on top eats up 1/2" of space at least.
Old 08/05/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Wow sorry to see your news. Look forward to seeing how you get this resolved. I guess this is always in the back of everyones mind. You could do another 14 day upgrade. I look forward to seeing you work this out. Oh yeah..Good catch..At least you got to it before anything bad...

(Red House for my 425 system)