Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2005, 02:00 PM
TOF

No location=Thread deleted

I think we'd save a LOT of bandwith (and time), if threads without locations stated in the title are simply deleted. Forty-four of the first 100 posts in this forum, do not list so much as a general area where the sellor is located. Just a thought.
Tagamet

Last edited by Tagamet; 03/17/2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

My pet peeve too.... especially when the sellers don't even have a location in their profile, or list a small town name and no state anywhere in the post, or post title (where it's supposed to be) or their profile.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:27 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I don't think it matters if they are willing to ship.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:28 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by Homebrew
My pet peeve too.... especially when the sellers don't even have a location in their profile, or list a small town name and no state anywhere in the post, or post title (where it's supposed to be) or their profile.
At this point, I'd settle for "East coast, USA" (jk).
Glad I'm not alone on this one (lol)
Tagamet
Old 03/17/2005, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I'm with you on this. Heck, even if they're willing to ship...wouldn't you want to know if that 20 lb. ballast was coming across the country, or just in a different part of your state?
Old 03/17/2005, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pikey
I don't think it matters if they are willing to ship.
In many cases, they aren't and it matters when considering the price of the item shipped vs. driving for it.

I know this isn't a discussion forum, but it seems now the rule to not include location rather than the exception.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:56 PM
RC Admin

Well if people would read and respect the BOLD statment that we have sticky'd at the top of the forum then we'd be ok with this issue.

However, when they do not...I'm not sure the solution is to delete the thread, especially if people are willing to ship. This forum is hard enough to moderate for rule compliance. Deleting 50% of the threads in here and telling people to repost them with that location would create a whole lot of unhappy feelings and a moderation nightmare. Many of the posts are very long and complex posts with embedded pictures and such. I know that I would be upset if it was deleted and I had to build it from scratch again.

And Homebrew is right...this is not the right forum for this discussion. But I'm going to let this sit here for the day, then move it. Maybe a few more people will read it and catch on.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 03/17/2005, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

If I were to sell something local, I would post in the local reef club forum...If I wanted to sell with shipping, I would post here (for sale section)

I feel most of the people that post on here are planning to ship it to someone.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03/17/2005, 03:22 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by mhurley
... I know that I would be upset if it was deleted and I had to build it from scratch again.

And Homebrew is right...this is not the right forum for this discussion. But I'm going to let this sit here for the day, then move it. Maybe a few more people will read it and catch on.
Thank you. I know the rule is clearly stated in ALL CAPS, but obviously, without a consequence (like having to rebuild a complex post) nothing will change.
Thanks again for the forum, I feel better just to have been able to ventilate.
Tagamet
Old 03/17/2005, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

Finally someone brought this up. Thank you.
Although the offenders probably aren't reading it.

If we can't get them deleted... can I recommend flogging!

Chalie
Old 03/17/2005, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I don't see what the big deal is with this. Yes, it is more convenient when people list the location and price in the title line, but really, are you people so important, or is your time so important that you can't bother to read a post to find location? I DO think that posting a members general location should be mandatory when you register. Then, at least you'd know the state, region, etc.
I figure that if your time is THAT important, quit surfing the used equipment forums, (which can be a terrible waste of time when you're looking for something specific) and go buy it new. Keep in mind, most of these people aren't dealers, they're hobbyists.
Old 03/17/2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Two seconds of your time to put your location in the post will save me two minutes of my time reading thru the thread trying to find your location. Seems like a simple courtesy. Especially when there are concievably 6o,ooo other members that will save the same two minutes.

That's 2000 man-hours, or one Year of 40 hour weeks...at union scale.....
Old 03/17/2005, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

I read all the posts that are from my area. That is why I recommend putting a location in the subject line. Besides just being respectful of other peoples time.
Old 03/17/2005, 06:46 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Simply put, if it's a rule in this forum that the RC Moderators aren't going to enforce, then it shouldn't be a rule.

On a side note, personally, it would be easier to know the location in the thread title but I love surfing this website anyway so I could care less.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! No green beer in the aquariums pls...

Matt, Milwaukee, WI
Old 03/17/2005, 06:47 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey, jbrekken1, put a Location in your personal info so it shows in your posts!
Old 03/17/2005, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Tagamet, I agree it would save alot of time.
Old 03/17/2005, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

FWIW....If the mods would actually enforce the rule...

If I just kept threatening my little ones with something and never followed through, they would be outta control. Since their teenagers, now...it's even doubly important. Since a lot of people act like children here...treat them as such.

Just Delete. People will catch-on.
Old 03/17/2005, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I absolutely agree....No location, no post ...period.

I am all for deleting threads with no loc. Mod's please consider this, especially since there is a sticky asking to post location.

Taz
Old 03/17/2005, 06:53 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Kind of like this one with no location in the thread title and also none in the verbage under the name/avatar?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=551270
Old 03/17/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerD
I don't see what the big deal is with this. Yes, it is more convenient when people list the location and price in the title line, but really, are you people so important, or is your time so important that you can't bother to read a post to find location? I DO think that posting a members general location should be mandatory when you register. Then, at least you'd know the state, region, etc.
I figure that if your time is THAT important, quit surfing the used equipment forums, (which can be a terrible waste of time when you're looking for something specific) and go buy it new. Keep in mind, most of these people aren't dealers, they're hobbyists.
BoomerD - I don't want to beat a dead horse since I've already weighed in, but my earlier point was that it would REALLY be nice if the location was put in the subject (per the rules), but many don't even have locations in the body text OR their profile location, so it is often not a matter of simply spending time to read the whole post... there is often no indication whether people are even in the USA (this is board is visited internationally). I have also seen post after post where people ask where someone is and then they answer and say they don't want to ship. No, this is not a life/death issue, but it is annoying. I think most don't even realize (or forget) that they are supposed to post their location.

But I doubt this thread will make any long-term difference, so I'll shut up now. Well, except for saying that I think your suggestion of it being mandatory to enter a location in their profile when registering is a nice idea. It wouldn't prevent anyone from being less than truthful, but if they post in the Selling forums, they would look silly if they weren't. Hmmm.

Greg

Last edited by Homebrew; 03/17/2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03/17/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

I live in NY

If I saw Skimmer for sale Socal Local pu only that means I don't need to look further. I also won't have to play wheres Waldo when it comes to location of sale.

Warn then delete
Old 03/17/2005, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Thought I would weigh in while I had the chance, and give this thread a bump to the top.
I agree with some previous posts about enforcement. If your not gonna delete, why post that as a threat? It obviously isnt working.
I would like to see locations in all the threads. But then I am in the shopping stage, and looking here to try and save a few bucks.

As far as the time involved, comparing the three seconds of typing NYC or LA or some other location, to the time it takes to open a thread and hunt for the location, is a no-brainer.
Old 03/17/2005, 07:27 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by electric eel
If your not gonna delete, why post that as a threat? It obviously isnt working.
What are you (and a few others) talking about?

The sticky post at the top of the forum is not a threat and does not say that we will delete threads. It says:

Quote:
Please keep in mind when posting items for sale that many people do not like to rely on receiving items via the mail, UPS or FedEx. If you place your location (City and State) in the subject line of your for sale thread you might get more interest in the items you are trying to sell.
The thread starter suggested deleting the threads...that is not something that we plan on doing right now.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 03/17/2005, 07:35 PM
Charlotte Area Realtor

ok what about the ones that do not put location or what they are selling in the topic? Heck it could be Homebrew selling selecon 20 mins from my house but I still have to either look at th thread or skim right by it....

Realtor
Old 03/17/2005, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Sorry Mike... your correct..my mistake. I confused the price thread with the location thread, as far as the delete goes.

This might not be the forum for this discussion but the Mods and Staff might take it under consideration, seeing the number of opinions on this subject. Perhaps a poll?

In reality, if its an item I am looking for, I read the thread even without the location, but it does take more time, and common sense dictates buying an item nearby, when considering the cost of shipping.
Didnt intend to cause upset, just thought I would put my two cents in.