Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Hi Guys

Yesterday i forgot to show you another update, i've been having a humidity problem during the night, so i solved the problem this way:

Quote:
Originally posted by 2frosty4u
I just sat here and read every post in this thread on all 11 pages and was truly impressed with what you have accomplished, Keep up the great work and updates. I was wondering about your DIY Chiller. The Refrigeration part I understand but, what did you do to make the heat exchanger portion of the system. Since saltwater is so corrosive what did you use and how did you build it? I have friends that are refrigeration technicians and I would like to build my own but I can't seem to figure out a good way to construct a heat exchanger that wont fail or cause problems with the tank occupants. Any help or advice would be appreciated Vitor.
Hi 2frosty4u.

I didn't bilt the chiller, it was a friend, i'm going to tell him, so you can talk by PM or in another thread, he works in the AC business, very nice guy.

Best Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 06/23/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Great idea!
Old 06/25/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Hey Vitor! I like your tank set up and your name: Is it short for Vitorio? It means "winner." Your tank set up is incredible. It is brilliant for its use of as many available natural resources as possible. It is growing quite beautiful in the short time that you have had it. I didn't like the ring of live rock at first, but now that the mantipora is getting big, it is looking good. You will be fragging that soon.

As you can see from my profile, I dismantled my system. I like my vacations too much and things start to go wrong and die when you are away from the tanks. Good luck and all the best with your outdoor system.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 06/25/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Hi Vitor,

Why glass and not pond style? Surely one of those "indestructa" ponds would work great non?
It would be far cheaper that an all-glass display.

All I'm really posting for is new pics.
Come on my friend!

regards
Conor.
Old 06/25/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

vitor, did you see my questions above?
Old 06/25/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Acolin
vitor, did you see my questions above?
Yes i did, i awnser your question on the 06/13/2007 02:16 PM:

"Hi Acolin

The earth can really buffer the temp.

Yes, the tank is shallow, about 55 cm deep, it has to be, only this way i can reach all partes of the tank, in my experience at this depth the tank works very well, considering the temp/maintenance issues.

Now about the isolation, it realy helps on the tank expansion and contraction.

The importance of the insulation material is that it preserves a constant temp, exactly want we want, was you know iven the best isolation material can not maintain the temp for a long time, so what it hapens is that the temp passes throw the earth surrounding the tank, maintaining even more the temp.

"What is the display tank made of?"

The tank is all made in glass.

"Why isn’t the glass top removable?"

I can take the cover off, and reach all corners of the tank, no need for the top cover to be removable, this way i can prevente the rain to get inside.

"Why isn’t the top simply an inch wider so that it rests across the top of the reef pond?"

I didn't get this question

"did you consider biological filtering with an algae refugium?"

Yes i did, but that way i simply lose two things, my family time and the rest of my garden.

"are you feeding the Tangs algae, algae flakes, dried nori seaweed or fresh macro-algae from the ocean?"

I feed the tang all kinds of food, algae flakes, normal flakes, and dried nory.

"Have you thought about connecting the system to a small display tank in the house? There you could shelter and observe new species?"

No my friend, i don't have a inside tank and do not intend to, my time is very limited, but i wish that this new aproach to marine aquariums can bring up new ideas and new setup just like you mentioned.

Best regards"
Old 06/25/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by conorwynne
Hi Vitor,

Why glass and not pond style? Surely one of those "indestructa" ponds would work great non?
It would be far cheaper that an all-glass display.

All I'm really posting for is new pics.
Come on my friend!

regards
Conor.
Hi conor

No, that way wouldn't work with rain.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 06/25/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
Hey Vitor! I like your tank set up and your name: Is it short for Vitorio? It means "winner." Your tank set up is incredible. It is brilliant for its use of as many available natural resources as possible. It is growing quite beautiful in the short time that you have had it. I didn't like the ring of live rock at first, but now that the mantipora is getting big, it is looking good. You will be fragging that soon.

As you can see from my profile, I dismantled my system. I like my vacations too much and things start to go wrong and die when you are away from the tanks. Good luck and all the best with your outdoor system.
Hi batguano!

Yes that's right, Vitor is a latin word, means Victory in English.

Sorry to hear that you dismantled your system, a tank is a very big problem when we go in vacations, i hope i don't have that problem when my time arrives.

Best Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 06/25/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

thaks, I get the updates, but did not see these answers, thanks!
Old 06/29/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

At my parents house, inside of course, there is an area of the house that gets 5 hours of direct sunlight comming through some windows... would that be an ample ammount of light to get some LPS and softies to grow like crazy or would that be to much light? i know i would run some PC or t-5's in the morning and night... would the direct sunlight make any of the paramaters swing at all? Is there any other concerns that i am looking over? thanks Vitor!
Old 06/29/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

direct sunlight is excellet for corals - IF the water temperature is kep[t COOL!
Old 06/29/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank i live in florida probly have a simmilar climate not sure though right now im under stict budget restrictions but someday i plan to setup a tank like your it is beautiful i love your regal tang he seems to be an attention stealer lol he is in all of your vids darting around great job and beautiful tank
Old 06/30/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

That is really cool....thinking way outside the box. Thinking about putting a protein skimmer on my pool...

Steve
Old 06/30/2007, 02:23 AM
Premium Member

I have to say- i've seen literally hundreds of in home reefs and have one myself, but this is one of the COOLEST most INNOVATIVE ideas that I have ever seen. i am very impressed and cannot tell you how awesome it is that you are willing to try something so different. The sunlight is so awesome and of course i LOVE the DELTEC!

Cheers!

marcus
Old 07/02/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle1284
At my parents house, inside of course, there is an area of the house that gets 5 hours of direct sunlight comming through some windows... would that be an ample ammount of light to get some LPS and softies to grow like crazy or would that be to much light? i know i would run some PC or t-5's in the morning and night... would the direct sunlight make any of the paramaters swing at all? Is there any other concerns that i am looking over? thanks Vitor!
Hi Kyle1284!

Yes there is, to much sunlight is bad, irecommend you to get a Lux Meter so you can know for sure the amount of light the tank are receiving.

Corals grow great with 25.000 Lux, but if you want intense colors i recommend 50.000 - 60.000 lux, DO NOT EXCEED THIS AMOUNT OF LIGHT WITH THIS KIND OF SETUP, the light penetrates even better with the help of the top glass, this setup has no water mirror that reflects the sunlight, to a high latitude country this is a good way to "amplify" the sunlight.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 07/02/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Acolin
direct sunlight is excellet for corals - IF the water temperature is kep[t COOL!
Hi Acolin!

Be careful with the ammount of sunlight, to much can damage the corals, do not exceed the 50.000 - 60.000 lux.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 07/02/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanoreef25
Awesome tank i live in florida probly have a simmilar climate not sure though right now im under stict budget restrictions but someday i plan to setup a tank like your it is beautiful i love your regal tang he seems to be an attention stealer lol he is in all of your vids darting around great job and beautiful tank
Hi nanoreef25.

I heard that Florida has lots and lots of sunshine, be very carefull, to much sunlight can damage some corals.

The best way is to get a Lux Meter, with this kind of setup, the light must be betwen 25.000 and 60.000, do not exceed this last figure.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 07/06/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vitor pestana
Hi Kyle1284!

Yes there is, to much sunlight is bad, irecommend you to get a Lux Meter so you can know for sure the amount of light the tank are receiving.

Corals grow great with 25.000 Lux, but if you want intense colors i recommend 50.000 - 60.000 lux, DO NOT EXCEED THIS AMOUNT OF LIGHT WITH THIS KIND OF SETUP, the light penetrates even better with the help of the top glass, this setup has no water mirror that reflects the sunlight, to a high latitude country this is a good way to "amplify" the sunlight.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Thanks Vitor... your tank is inspiring and AMAZING!! Can u take more pics when u have time so i can be jealous some more? HA
Old 07/13/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Hi guys!

It seams i'm going to be a "grandfather", my clowfish are laying eggs.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dZXYLttCLE

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 07/13/2007, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

nice song...what is the tittle of the song?
Old 07/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Oh, I really hate you!

We really need a "green with envy" emoticon!

(American sarcasm. I don't really mean it.)
Old 07/14/2007, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

anything eals ? about the pool about time to go swim in it
Old 07/14/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Wow what a great idea!

Any updated pics?

-Matthew
Old 07/15/2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

This tank is so cool! Awesome videos on youtube!

My wife constantly makes fun of my for having my face pressed against my tank with a magnifying glass trying to get close up views. I can only imagine what she would say if I had this tank. I would have to lay down and cup my hands around my face to block the sun so I could see
Old 07/16/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank......