Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Reefscavengers.com GB follow-up thread

Hi guys, I'd like to make a thread for all of us that participated in the reefscavengers.com GB to post what we thought of everything. This way, people that might not have participated can easily find out what everything was like

First off, I'm super happy. The prices were good, and the owner, Dylan, was more than willing to deal with Jonathan and help us out in any way he could. As an example, I wanted a certain Gorgonian that was listed on the site as out of stock. Well, he pulled a piece just for me, even after it had been completely removed from the website. How cool. He also had no issues making substitutions. My cleaner pack was supposed to come with a brittle star, but I opted to sub for a pencil urchin.

There were some deaths in shipping, but not many at all (He is working with Jonathan to take care of this). None of my items arrived DOA. Since adding to the tank, I've only lost a couple Turbos and a couple hermits. Pretty standard stuff.

The Nerites...holy cow they were big.

I also got some zoos, a ric, and some other things. I'll post some pics later today if I can.

After this experience, I think I'd definitely buy from there again.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 01/09/2008, 01:54 PM
I read your email

my triggers loved the porcelain crabs

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 01/09/2008, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

lol
Old 01/09/2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Some pictures

A couple of the white-legged hermits. These guys are cool. Most of them have greenish shells, which is interesting.

The nerites. The light one on the left is one I got from reeftopia like 4 or 5 months ago. You can see how much bigger these are.

One of the two pencil urchins I got

Emerald green ric and green encrusting gorg. Also, my super cheap and fancy frag trays. Once I figured out how to get them to stay level, these things work great. Cost like $7 total for 3 trays.

3 of the zoo frags, plus a peek at a 4th.

The other 3 zoos.

That's all I've got for now.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soni
my triggers loved the porcelain crabs
oh no hahahaha..........
Old 01/09/2008, 03:46 PM
Mushroom King

ATTENTION !!!

Everyone that had
DOA:
MISSING:
2nd DAY DEATHS:

(Even if you have already told me, keep it simple but detailed. )

Please list here I'm not sure if Dylan will cover 2nd day deaths or not I have writen him and waiting for him to respond. He has already refunded everything I was told about right away without questions I will do a finnal list when I get home tonight and post for everyone to see.
For the stuff that was DOA he refunded the money so if we want Peps we have to order agian or hit up that reeftopia buy that's rolling right now. (was told by Jason R that Petco has peps for $5.49 right now if interrested in that)
All Turbo's were DOA mine aern't moving either I tossed them all in one corner and they haven't moved since and my Super Tonga's are eating them so that is a good sign that they died.
Place everything here tonight for anyone that does not post I will try calling.

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 01/09/2008, 03:47 PM
Mushroom King

Attention #2

Please, tell me how the order came to you guys?

Also how JasonH and I did do trying to get it together?

What could I have tried to make it better??

Please be honest as It will improve my GB ordering skillz.
Thanks

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

Old 01/09/2008, 03:50 PM
Mushroom King

I would like to Thank JasonH as he busted *** yesterday ( worked harder then me and yes I did notice) I was still trying to recoupe from being sick for a week and was very tired. Your efforts will not go in vein Bro. >:P Got a surprise for you Saturday for helping

Old 01/09/2008, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I know for sure some of my turbos are up and moving around. I'll see if I can get a count of dead ones when I get home.

Nothing DOA, nothing missing for me. Just the 3 orange turbos that were out of stock.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

My part of the order was very small, but it went as smooth as it could I suppose. It did take me a little more than an hour to acclimate since the transport water was at a SG of 1.023 and I am at 1.025 and via a drip that took a while.

The 5 Turbos were my only casualties. They never moved (even while in the acclimation tank)...I am just wondering how long before the Nassarius snails realize that there is dead meat in the tank and start the cleanup...(if they are cannibles that is)

Everything else is doing (seemingly) perfect.

I am not sure how you could improve the process...You seemed to have the system down..

All I can say is thanks for a job well done.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
I would like to Thank JasonH as he busted *** yesterday ( worked harder then me and yes I did notice) I was still trying to recoupe from being sick for a week and was very tired. Your efforts will not go in vein Bro. >:P Got a surprise for you Saturday for helping
Any time man, I'm more than happy to help out. It was quite a large order, I can't imagine what it would have been like if you had been doing it on your own.

It looks like all but 2 of the turbos haven't moved. Bummer.

Jonathan, do you remember pulling any turbos out of the bucket that were actually stuck to the bucket? I'm not sure if I did or not...
Old 01/09/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

I had one DOA limpet for sure. The Queen Conch has not moved, yet the tonga's have not started to eat it yet so maybe its alive .

Also missing the orange turbo - but I guess we knew that was going to happen

Overall I think the Quality was OK, but I didn't get much this time around. The only other mail order I have done for inverts was from Reeftopia. IMO it was superior. I didn't have one DOA from them and they have completely free shipping (over a $100).

Jonathan - I think you handled it as good as could be.

Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

I also had no DOA last time I went with Reeftopia, but everything I got in this order was quite a bit bigger than what I got from reeftopia.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

my DOA's are the 2 queen conchs...havent moved a bit since I placed them in the tank after acclimation. Lost a few limpets but only because the pep's decided they were food...so no worries about them.
Other than that all is good.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:16 PM
Mushroom King

I believe the order would have been better had the mail guy come to the correct house at 11am. Instead he went to the wrong house and didn't come back until 4:30pm where I caught him at the mail boxes. I also believe the cold weather had something to do with the turbo's and conch deaths as they to were in the same box as the peps and the box was completely crushed in on one side. I cannot make excuses for the deaths only live and learn from the experience. All but 1 turbo (10)is dead and my linkie Star looks like he 50/50 other then that everything was great. I will be ordering again from a different company in a couple of months as I want a pep shrimp , blood shrimp and pom pom crab. I figured I would try another company since we have tried Reeptopia and ReefScavengers.

Old 01/09/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonh
I also had no DOA last time I went with Reeftopia, but everything I got in this order was quite a bit bigger than what I got from reeftopia.
I would prefer small critters opposed to dead critters....

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
I will be ordering again from a different company in a couple of months as I want a pep shrimp , blood shrimp and pom pom crab. I figured I would try another company since we have tried Reeptopia and ReefScavengers.
I am all for that...

And finally an update: The Conch is a goner.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

My turbos were toast. I put all fifteen at the front of the tank and only three walked away.

Other than that I am pretty happy. I think that I may have lost only two hermits. One went into the tank naked. I suppose that it might have found an empty shell in the tank, but there were two other shells that still remain in the front of the tank where I put them last night after acclimating them. I assume that one is the naked hermit's shell (does anyone know how to spell shell-less?).

Anyhow if there is anything you can do to replace some of the turbos, that would be great, if not, no biggie.

Che
Old 01/10/2008, 03:49 AM
Mushroom King

THE DEAD LIST:
DOA = Dead on Arrival
NIS = Not in Stock

JMCAquarium
DOA -- Pep Shrimp
DOA -- 10 Turbo's
50/50 -- Orange Lincka Star (looken Rough)
Missing -- Purple/Pink Ric
Missing -- 13 Nas Snails

Chia Head
DOA -- 2 Queen Conchs

JasonH
NIS -- 3 Orange Turbo's
# -- Turbo's ???

kgouso
DOA -- 3 Turbo Snails

racecaraz
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- Limpet
NIS -- Orange Turbo

Che
DOA -- 15 Turbo Snails

Soni
???

Jraducha
Missing -- Purple/ Green Shroom
Missing -- Second urchin ( I took it by accident)
NIS -- 2 Orange Tunicate
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- 20 Turbo Snails
DOA -- 3 Pep Shrimp
DOA -- Coral Shrimp Pair (1 lived)

Blozzd
DOA -- 2 Peps

Last edited by JMCAquarium; 01/10/2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:54 AM
Mushroom King

Please correct or add to I have to get this back to Dylan asap

Old 01/10/2008, 04:13 AM
Mushroom King

Jason's Urchin I took by mistake (Rocken out)
[url=][IMG]

King of the Mountain ( White Hermie)
[url=][IMG]

The Grave Yard ( RIP little Turbo's 2 of them the Nass had already gutted )
[url=][IMG]

Bi-Color Ric (Can't find Purp/Green Shroom)
[url=][IMG]

Blue Zoa's (Brown skirt with blue trim and purple centers)
[url=][IMG]

Old 01/10/2008, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

I noticed a couple people thinking that the late arrival in shipping may have contributed to what I consider a large # of deaths amongst the group. I AGREE.

But what concerns me is that most, if not all items that died are eligible for the PRIORITY shipping from them making it TWO days +. With the losses sustained with overnight, It seems risky at best to offer animals shipped via priority.

Most companies that ship live / highly perishable items won't ship overnight via USPS because or lack of guaranteed arrival time.

Please don't take this as complaining... just observations. I think JMC and all involved did great on this.

Thank you again. I look forward to another GB, even if for a few things, I like a little diversity in my tanks.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

13 Turbos are toast.

I'm happy with everything but the turbos. I have a feeling that was more of a shipping issue than anything.

Most of the zoos are opening up and they look pretty cool. The gorg is opening up as well, and it's gonna be sweet once it grows out a bit. Ric is nice n spread out and is quite happy

My Coris Wrasse has gotten a couple nice meals in unfortunately. He ate at least 1 sand sifting crab and a few hermits. Oh well.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

anybody all of a sudden have hydroids popping up? Never seen em before, and my wife says they're all over the glass today.

Old 01/10/2008, 02:50 PM
I read your email

THE DEAD LIST:
DOA = Dead on Arrival
NIS = Not in Stock

JMCAquarium
DOA -- Pep Shrimp
DOA -- 10 Turbo's
Missing -- 13 Nas Snails

Chia Head
DOA -- 2 Queen Conchs

JasonH
NIS -- 3 Orange Turbo's
# -- Turbo's ???

kgouso
DOA -- 3 Turbo Snails

racecaraz
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- Limpet
NIS -- Orange Turbo

Che
DOA -- 15 Turbo Snails

Soni
DOA -- 20 Turbo Snails

Jraducha
NIS -- 2 Orange Tunicate
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- 20 Turbo Snails
DOA -- 3 Pep Shrimp

Blozzd
DOA -- 2 Peps

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order." --Ed Howdershelt
Old 01/10/2008, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

THE DEAD LIST:
DOA = Dead on Arrival
NIS = Not in Stock

JMCAquarium
DOA -- Pep Shrimp
DOA -- 10 Turbo's
Missing -- 13 Nas Snails

Chia Head
DOA -- 2 Queen Conchs

JasonH
NIS -- 3 Orange Turbo's
DOA -- 13 Turbo's

kgouso
DOA -- 3 Turbo Snails

racecaraz
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- Limpet
NIS -- Orange Turbo

Che
DOA -- 15 Turbo Snails

Soni
DOA -- 20 Turbo Snails

Jraducha
NIS -- 2 Orange Tunicate
DOA -- Queen Conch
DOA -- 20 Turbo Snails
DOA -- 3 Pep Shrimp

Blozzd
DOA -- 2 Peps