Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 01:27 PM
g0t fIsH

coming along just fine? why is your ca+ so low? hows your reading when salt is mix?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/26/2007, 01:59 PM
Moved On

yes! do post pics! I've been keeping up with this thread and am excited to see how it comes along!
Old 07/26/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

30 gallon kalk? Cant wait to see your updates//

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/27/2007, 07:29 PM
They Found Nemo

bump we need pics
Old 07/27/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

awesome pics!
Old 07/28/2007, 11:54 AM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
OK OK Pics and Updates...

I use Reef Crystals Salt so I should? be good there, DKH was at 48 last check
Pics of the Kalk system will have to wait for next update

Finally, have Ca+ up to 325 not really sure why so hard to get this up? BIG 4002 Koralline reactor... anyway she is a rising finally. Had started a supplemental dosing system from a small refrigerator to the aquadoser and into the tank... I made the mistake of dosing fully as I do my overstocked tanks upstairs and this week I have lots of algea so I figured out DUH that because there is minimal livestock I have been overdosing and I have tempoarily shut down the doser.. I installed a 30 gallon Kalk dripper to maintain the PH... Finally PH is up from 7.8-9 to a pretty steady 8.0 + ... These pics are from last week before the bloom

These pics are from the evening so 1/2 of the lights are already turned off

Here is a few example of how all manmade objects have been covered in foam to make them look like rock... Can you pick the return jet out from the real live rock? I have started impregnating the jets and feeders ect. with zoos and Merlettis

Feeder Ports

Feeders one both sides of the tank

My anemone that I got from the TILER is so BIG and Happy the clowns love it!

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 07/28/2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07/28/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

wow i love it
that back rock you have is really well done!
Old 07/28/2007, 11:57 AM
RC Sponsor

My Aquanotes

Fridge and Aquadoser dripper system

MY WHAT LARGE ORA DUNCANS I HAVE LOL my Jap acan garden ( er... maybe 1/10th of it)

A partial shot of my Micromussa Garden

2 Happy Clowns

Last edited by ReefDoctorMicromussas; 07/28/2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07/28/2007, 12:04 PM
RC Sponsor

Thank you so much for the kind words akbuuur It makes the effort worthwhile to hear that
Old 07/28/2007, 01:33 PM
Team RC Member

That arch has really turned out a lot better than I thought it would have! What corals do you have in mind to adorn that arch? I think it would look really sweet to have a gorgonian growing up from behind the arch, so that only a portion of it is visible. That would add some depth and mystery to the aquascape, IMO.

You've done an excellent job concealing all of the return plumbing. I can't wait to see some of those micros growing out in your tank.
Old 07/28/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Doc,

Remember that you're never supposed to use your calcium reactor to increase your calcium, just maintain it. You calcium/alk balance will get out of balance if you try to just melt a bunch of media quickly.

Use a normal calcium supplement to get your calcium to where you want it, then adjust the reactor to hold your calcium there.

John
Old 07/28/2007, 02:19 PM
RC Sponsor

Dudster thanks so much I am planning that the Left side will be predominantly softies center will be SPS and all of the LPS woll go Far right... The Gorg garden with a colt will be behind the ARCH LOL You saw that too huh?

thedude15810
Yes I started with Seachem to bost the Ca+ and then last week started using the Turbo with the best increase...
Old 07/28/2007, 06:02 PM
Moved On

amazing! I'm still thrilled to see pictures of your system! I actually showed a friend your thread here and he's planning on using several of your ideas now for his tank. And I'm considering using the foam for my small tank that I'm setting up because yours has turned out so nicely!
Old 07/28/2007, 06:24 PM
RC Sponsor

Hehe Thank you
Old 07/28/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor64776
Hello,

Yes actually I have made a bit of progress... I was a little side tracked by Tilelaying, Grouting and all the rock for the Facade of the room but was finally able to start work on the Overflows and the Back of the tank

I built the overflows from Plywood that then had Acrylic overflow slotted gates siliconed to the top... then this entire fixture I covered in the BrewCoat Epoxy... I then took 12 cans of the Black Pond foam and decorated the back of the tank... 2 days later I gobbed more BrewCoat all over the dryed and hardened foam... then while it was wet I sprinkled coral chunks, shells, rubble and argonite sand all over the back... now as it has dried it has the texture and appearance of rock... I am hoping that with time as coralline covers this it will be perfect

What 'Black Pond Foam' are you using? I want to add this to my next tank but not sure what brand name "Pond Foam" is safe to use. What type are are you using and where can I find it?

Thanks!!
Old 07/28/2007, 07:30 PM
Moved On

Just curious...how much actual LR do you have in your tank? Had you at any point considered making the "sand" out of the same stuff? Or do you prefer actual LS?
Old 07/28/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Chris looking good' you or almost their.

Ill be over that way late next week and have some frags for you if your around.

You can find me with the little red house
Old 07/28/2007, 09:24 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

It looks totally killer - great job! I haven't seen the thread in quite some time, it looks amazing.

What lighting do you have again in the Micro garden? And are you going to move it to your main?

Very inspirational. I can't wait until I have a "fish room". Or I should say, my wife can't wait.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/28/2007, 09:56 PM
RC Sponsor

Chop Suey... The foam is "Black Handi foam" I get it from Dr. Fosters and smith ... It is for creating waterfalls and for hiding pond pumps ect... Works great for "Making" rock as you can see I have covered all of my returns, jets, food dispensers ect...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9232

Delta I have right at 500lbs of LR ( a mix of Fiji, Marshall and argocrete) I have right at 500 lbs of sand about 100 of this was live sand... I do kinda like the sand because of all of the creatures that it fosters... My cukes and anemones, stars love it

Jerry I have some stuff for you also

Fliger Great to see ya man That shipment that I was telling you about? the $2300 one? Fed EX lost the package! THURSDAY! OMG they are so dead 4 really nice colonies

The micro garden has 4X 110 VHO with 2 X 250wt Radiums, Yes my wife is so anxious for me to take down the other tanks now she can hardly contain herself... this system has a 90gallon frag tank that I will be moving everything into...

Thanks for looking everyone I will try to get some pics of the Kalk setup and the frag set up next week
Old 07/29/2007, 07:54 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Looks great!

I saw that PLTA in Tiler's system only weeks before it shipped to you. Wanted it myself but I can't support another anem just yet. It looks very happy in your tank, great score!
Old 07/29/2007, 08:53 AM
RC Sponsor

Thanks BAX Yes it is an amazing Anemone and very hardy.... During shipping the FedEX plane caught fire and it ended up sitting on a runway for 2 days! it was just fine when I got it Whew! Fed EX seems to have some real problems with my packages
Old 07/29/2007, 09:58 AM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Doc-

Just read the entire thread and I must say that your pre-planning sure did make the finished product beautiful!!!. Im (realistically) at least 5 years away from something not even close to this and I have taken many "mental notes" from your build that I hope to use when that day finally comes to start mine!!.

Just curious what the impact your masterpiece (including all sumps/fuges/etc) has on your electric bill. (this is part of my planning... he he he )

Keep up the amazing work and keep the pics coming...!
Old 07/29/2007, 10:50 AM
RC Sponsor

Hello MeuserReef welcome and thank you so much
On the RC homepage there is a wonderful electricity calculator that I used in planing and since the tank has been up and runing the calculator has been dead on... My tank costs appx $240 month in electrical
Old 07/29/2007, 03:22 PM
Moved On

This may seem silly to some, but for the costs you're incurring for electricity, had you thought about installing solar panels to help offset the electricity bill? I was reading somewhere online that another hobbyist did this and it helped them enormously.
Old 07/29/2007, 03:28 PM
RC Sponsor

I have brushed across this Idea actually I found that better locations for solar are like Arizona, Nevada, new mexico becuase of # of sunny days... here in Ark. we have an average number of sunny days yes very nice but not extremely practical for the installation of solar due to initial cost outlay vs. time to recoup...