Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2003, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Thin green hairlike algae growing on my rock! SO EXCITED!

So today my girlfriend and I found some real thin whispy green hairlike algae growing on the top of one of my rocks! I was so excited I had to post. That means I am getting close to the end of my initial cycle. Another week and my readings should be 0 across the board, and a clearner crew will be installed. Finally some larger life in the tank, I love watching this stuff happen!
Old 11/03/2003, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

... Excited about hair algae... wow.
I don't think I was ever that excited to see the stuff.

Good job though! Hope things keep coming along well for you!
Old 11/03/2003, 10:49 PM
Coral Assassin

lol. this is quite an odd post.. never seen anyone that excited about hair algae.
Old 11/03/2003, 10:50 PM
Reef Crazy

Sounds great. I'm glad to hear that you are so excited. This is a great hobby and you won't be disappointed. Won't be long before you can add a fishy or two.

Since your significant other is also attached to the tank, I would recommend letting her pick out the first fish. That way you both stay in love with the tank. (that is, or coarse, as long as the fish is suitable for the tank)

Dan
Old 11/03/2003, 10:52 PM
REEF MEDIC

The Hair algae is going to be on all the rocks soon Just the normal cycle of a new tank. you won't be excited about it by then. Get that clean up crew soon

" And my Wife Believed me when I said this Hobby would cost around $300"
Old 11/03/2003, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Don't be discouraged by the lack of hair algea enthusiam out here but nip it in the bud ASAP and it won't be a problem. I imported some accidently from a fellow reefer several months ago being a new reefer myself and just did a search here on RC and found many suggestion/treatments to rid the hair algea and I found that the deprivation of light worked best for me in my stage of outbreak. You need a good cleaner crew and they should do what they do best.
Happy reefing!
Old 11/03/2003, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

What animals will help the outbreak?

I will turn off he lights right away- funny how the algae grows on the highest rock to the lights :-). Is there a good type of crab or snail that eats that stuff? I will go to the lfs tomorrow and pickup 3-6 crabs/snails. I think they sell some for like 3 for $15. Probibly do that, until I get paid next week. In the meantime I will leave the lights off. Will it hurt the crabs if my nitrites are still around 1ppm- dropping quickly?
Old 11/04/2003, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

how old is the tank?

seeded LR with seeded LS about 3 to 10 days to cycle
seeded LR with unseeded LS about 14 to 28 days
unseeded LR with unseeded LS about 70 to 100 days

algae are one of the best indicator for a maturation phase of the aquarium.
starts with diatomaceous algae then slime algae then bryopsis/derbesia then the calcareous algae, which are more desirable.
for the clean up crew get some aestrea snail as much as you can afford. get a turbo snail or two. some hermit crab will also do.
ammonia ideally zero
nitrite ideally zero
nitrate ideally less than 3 mg/l
Old 11/04/2003, 12:11 AM
29 Gallon Reefer

I have hair algae, I'll send ya some.. =D
Old 11/04/2003, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

I would scrub that lil bit of hair algae away asap and cut back your lights until you get coral and actually need the light. You dont want it getting out of control on you.
Old 11/04/2003, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by junster
how old is the tank?

seeded LR with seeded LS about 3 to 10 days to cycle
seeded LR with unseeded LS about 14 to 28 days
unseeded LR with unseeded LS about 70 to 100 days

algae are one of the best indicator for a maturation phase of the aquarium.
starts with diatomaceous algae then slime algae then bryopsis/derbesia then the calcareous algae, which are more desirable.
for the clean up crew get some aestrea snail as much as you can afford. get a turbo snail or two. some hermit crab will also do.
ammonia ideally zero
nitrite ideally zero
nitrate ideally less than 3 mg/l
junster: I have 90lbs of uncured LR and another 60lbs of dry hawaii rock. I also have 3+" southdown sand bed with 20lbs of live sand mixed in (on top). I have had the tank running for 2 or so weeks now. I have been noticing some pink fuzzy stuff growing, the green hair algae, white growth on some of the rocks- almost looks like real thick spider webs, and a few other growths. My levels are way down- ammonia 0, Nitrites 1ppm, and Nitrates around 20ppm (max- maybe less)